House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Veritas

Tories Questioning "house Price Inequality" - Bbc News

Looks like the tories know the drop's coming, and want to be the first to put the knife in "PM in waiting Brown" for his mismanagement of this asset bubble which we all know will one day end in tears and repercussions. Shrewd move!

If you think that's any more than a cheap attempt to get the disenfranchised on side, which would be forgotten the second he walks into Number 10, your smoking crack fella.

Look at Camerons past career history, and some of the nails he's hung his political coat on before he got his current job, before you write a response. I mean that in the nicest possible way, but do so and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Less than trustworthy. Even less of him actually gives a crap.

This could be an important point if Tory Boy really wants to set himself apart from the old conservatives, he'd need only ask David Willetts MP or his cousin, Ferdinand Mount.

However, this may well just be a fickle deviation, after all these are the same people that decided it was a good idea to get Krusty Alsop on board in order to oppose the very information packs that would help buyers. Muppets.

Opponents of new UK housing schemes are 'bananas' claims Cameron

"Soaring property prices in the UK are causing growing social inequality and must be tackled head on if Britain is to prosper in the future, according to the Conservative leader David Cameron.

He warned of "a growing inequality at the heart of British life" which saw young people from wealthy families able to borrow from their parents to buy their first home, while those from less well-off backgrounds find themselves unable to reach the first rung on the property ladder.

And he called for more house-building to provide an "adequate" number of homes in the UK, mocking opponents of new developments as "bananas" - people who want to 'Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone'. [Hrm, I wonder who they might be?]

Mr Cameron's comments, ahead of a major speech on housing on Monday, will be seen as an effort to add credibility to his claim that the Conservatives are no longer the party of the rich and have the interests of the disadvantaged at heart."

Mr Cameron's comments, ahead of a major speech on housing on Monday, will be seen as an effort to add credibility to his claim that the Conservatives are no longer the party of the rich and have the interests of the disadvantaged at heart."

Will be interesting to see how this pans out in the media. Here's a summary of what will probably happen.

• Kirsty Allsopp will push share ownership schemes

• Lenders will say that that affordability is fine

• First Time Buyers will be told they're expecting too much

• People will be interviewed who oppose housing developments

• No one will mention that there's any kind of bubble

Will be interesting to see how this pans out in the media. Here's a summary of what will probably happen.

Good points. If Ms. Allsopp is so concerned about the plight of FTBs, why is she pushing for more housing supply, instead of embarking on a ridiculous self-serving campaign against the obviously sensible HIP scheme?

frugalista

Soundbite or not I still don't think he has the slightest grasp of the true problems being stored up.

Somebody tell me how economically dynamic and productive an economy will be where people are spending nearly every every penny on property at the expense of all else?

Of course it can never get to this situation because the economy will have already collapsed once a significant proportion of the younger population reached that stage. Large levels of debt alone are a huge drag on risk taking elsewhere in the economy and new business - simply too risky to even bother even if there are small funds avaliable above and beyond essential outgoings.

I'd like to see some figures on average company life/duration, I reckon the economy needs continual churn and upcoming businesses to stand still, let alone support a growing and ageing population - no chance with rampant HPI.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Hmmm how many Directorships does he hold. Humbug. ;)

And they can all have a good ding dong and return to their nice little (well, big) homes in the evening, and f*** everyone else, which is just as well because they will forget about the issue by the morning.

Personally I think the only way to get some movement is through some direct action, which means we need to buy land and then pikefy some fields, but it would come with a twist, i.e. some nice media friendly middle-class young people that have jobs and pay taxes simply trying to make their way.

The Tories. Bless 'em. Are they

(1) the party of home ownership

or

(2) the party of home owners

I thought both were the parties of shared ownership? <_<

Well who would have thought Priced Out's campaign would have had so much effect so quickly :lol:

Having read the full article I think this is an extremely positive development.

He is doing what no-one else has done. He is taking full aim right at the likes of the CPRE and NIMBY's, and is even mocking them.

I'm not saying this due to political affiliations, quite the opposite in fact. This is a breath of fresh air, all we need now is a politician to openly admit house prices are a bubble.

Now being the cynic I am I'm sure this is a political calculation on the tories part. Your average CPRE/NIMBY is probably going to vote tory anyway. However the mass of disenfranchised priced out FTB's and younger generations are exactly who they need to win. Smart move.

And can I add all the more reason to become more polictically active on this front if you are being affected by high prices. Turn up the heat on your MP, now is the perfect time to do so.

Hit Gordon Brown where it hurts, collar him on his "my house" Budget campaign.

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

If you think that's any more than a cheap attempt to get the disenfranchised on side, which would be forgotten the second he walks into Number 10, your smoking crack fella.

Look at Camerons past career history, and some of the nails he's hung his political coat on before he got his current job, before you write a response. I mean that in the nicest possible way, but do so and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Less than trustworthy. Even less of him actually gives a crap.

disenchanted..?

well perhaps.. but you have to bare in mind.. more voters will be upset by prices dropping then will be cheered..

perhaps the writting is on the wall and he is setting up labour to look like the turd's that they are

Look to France to see what happens when you try and pull the shutters down on a generation.

Indeed, if the want to introduce labour reform it should be done across the board, instead of leaving the fortress intact for everyone above a certain age.

You don't have to look far to see the corrosive affects when a society neglects to provide basic necessities such as housing, in that sense our riotous little French cousins don't know they're born.

"one-in-five first-time buyers cut back on holidays, 11% took on extra work and 5% delayed starting a family."

In a country that is demographically shagged, in every sense of the word.

I'll stick with the word disenfranchised. Its went far beyond people being disenchanted. They have nothing of the pie so to speak, with sod all chance of getting any of it in the near future. The way things are going, most potential FTB's will be a generation of lost wealth and lost chances.

Good news for the have's/piss poor for the have not's.

As for the 5% delaying starting a family, I'm just back from Germany, where the birthrate is 1.6 children per couple, even though property is stupidly cheap there. At least for the moment; everybody is expecting it to rise if Ms Merkell can sort the economy out a little.

Edited by billy-g

Can you be more specific please.

As for the 5% delaying starting a family, I'm just back from Germany, where the birthrate is 1.6 children per couple, even though property is stupidly cheap there.

Imagine if you then compound the issue with runaway house price inflation? Our smug economists are calling for Germany to do just that.

well perhaps.. but you have to bare in mind.. more voters will be upset by prices dropping then will be cheered..

perhaps the writting is on the wall and he is setting up labour to look like the turd's that they are

Exactly. There are many ways to interpret David Cameron's stance. He has talked about the wealth divide, the need for more houses, and that people's mortgages will be safe with the Tories.

So, what's compatible with this? The only thing I can see that meets all these aims is that house prices fall without increased, or at most trivially raised interest rates. And the easiest way to do this that I know of is increased supply.

But Apom's comment made me think (click, whirr). How should David Cameron position himself if he believes that a crash will have come and gone before he's in power. He could promise anything as he wouldn't ever have to deliver on it as the problem would be his before he took power. Sort of like third parties.

People in threads above also mentioned a lost generation, and in another thread, people mentioned the problem of building houses without planning permission. Easy to do but the council will knock it down. What would happen if a group of people started a movement to be able to build their own houses on a bit of land. They buy some cheap land, apply for permission, and get turned down. Then they go to the media, the papers, the opposition parties. Could it become a popular cause?

Billy Shears

Then they go to the media, the papers, the opposition parties. Could it become a popular cause?

Not if it means that the Boomers' house prices drop.

"Soaring property prices in the UK are causing growing social inequality and must be tackled head on if Britain is to prosper in the future, according to the Conservative leader David Cameron.

He warned of "a growing inequality at the heart of British life" which saw young people from wealthy families able to borrow from their parents to buy their first home, while those from less well-off backgrounds find themselves unable to reach the first rung on the property ladder.

If Cameron said that, it's good news. It's an issue that could have legs.

Money supply and ramping has done more to contribute to the property boom than lack of land to build on, but building more is hardly going to help create more HPI. Not sure if NL has the balls to push through a big building programme. Bloody CPRE.

There's an alternative agenda Cameron could be running here.

He might be trying to trigger the HPC.

Think about it, if it happens on Browns watch it's hasta-la-vista Labour party for the next 15 years. If it drags on into the next government (and let's face it it isn't going to be Labour is it), then it's theirs.

If you take away the spectre of future undersupply from the collective conciousness it takes away one of the pillars supporting current house price mentality.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking but hey, you can always dream eh!

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

Not if it means that the Boomers' house prices drop.

But one small group could become a popular cause because a few houses aren't going to change any housing market anywhere. It may be the tip of the iceberg in terms of loser planning permission, but would the general house-owning boomer public realise this in the early stages?

Billy Shears

Who is Camerons chief advisor, and the man he has entrusted to overhaul policy?

None other than Oliver "Poll Tax" Letwin. Again, do your own research, but its not good folks :( BTW, Cameron loves the idea of the poll tax..now if that came back, how good would that be for house prices; £750k house, but paying £250 a year for your services. Champion.

I remember hearing that the NuLab got in government by impersonating the Tories and now it seems that the Tories, instead of impersonating the impersonators which they were are becoming the Post NuLab (private housing for workers indeed). No suspecting Tory should vote for that should they?

Whatever happened to political view.

Also the definition of a government is a liberal democracy, and the Lib. muppet P.R. machine haven't once in my lifetime defined themselves that way

The political parties have no moral guidance, and thus no direction. They are becoming more and more instruments of big business / money and tell us what we want to hear.

Americanisation is coming to us all, althoough they had guiding principles once.

But good for HPC - I may ask Mr.Cameron to post on the site.