House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

I Just Have To Share This With You

My favourite read on a weekend is the Yorkshire Post [ its claim to fame is being Britians biggest selling regional newspaper] :huh:

Anyway I like Saturdays edition because it comes complete with a 20 page [mostly colour] up market propery supplement. And the best bit is always Page Two where all the guest writers are Estate Agency, Mortgage Brokers, Property Developer type contributers, or the papers own Property Industry Prostitute Sharon Dale.

Right here are some of this weeks article headlines [pity you cannot access it on line but there you are]

Main leader Spin.

Making a Splash in a Brave new World

Work is due to start on a scheme to mix existing council flats with new luxury apartments Sharon Dale reports...... There follows 32 column inches of VI spin complete with a massive 6" x 9.5" artists impression.

Yer right I went a expensive luxury apartment and I insist it be in a mixed development with chavs ...have you got that.

Here's another of todays classic offerings

Studio Flats are the Future

when it comes to Leeds city centre, small is beautiful, says John Marriot

Followed by 24 column inches of the usual.....John Marriot is a property consultant at Investec Private Bank.

It's basically saying least spent is better for landlords returns. It says the rental market in Yorkshire has risen over the last 12 months by 36.7%.....Landlords property values have increases by 38.6% since July 2004.......... bla bla bla

Call me a cynic but it looks to me like HPI is excluding the young from getting a home of their own, so it's been deemed to call then "young professional" and bung em in a bed sit.

OK heres another classic [ and remember the 38.6% increase in property values quoted above when you read this next snipet.]

Time to clinch a Sale

Good news for both buyers and sellers, the average time it takes to sell a property fell again in Febuary from 18 to 17 weeks.

First time buyers reduced their market share of the market further in February from 9 to 7.8 per cent. bugger me more evidence the market is nearing terminal failure, but it gets better, this is pure Python A number of announcements regarding rises in council tax and utility bills way above the rate of inflation combined to hinder their progress, creating a greater challenge for young people attempting to save to buy a home

For F*cks Sake who writes this rubbish, house prices have gone up 200 to 300 percent over the past six or so years, but it ain't that what's reduced FTB'ers market share down to 7.8 % it's that pesky 4% council tax inflation that's done it.

Never mind who writes this crap....more importantly DO THEY ACTUALLY READ IT AND DO THEY THEMSELVES ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT?

Well the more I see of this blind infatuation with property, the more I realise it cannot be long before the last mug is fully commited to the market. It may be 9 /12 or 18 months coming, who knows, but it sure as hell is going to be messy when it happens. But never mind I'm sat here in my lovely rental with no maintainance or insurance costs, coming in at 6.9K per annum. In a property if it were to be bought at last like for like Land Registary sale price, would cost on an interest only mortgage @ 5.25% ....12.5K to rent it off the bank per year..............................renting is dead money my ar................

Edited by Catch22

:lol::lol::lol:

There are actually SO MANY good writers on the board.

Catch 22 your one of them.

Sometimes is not the message (lets face it, there are only 7 scripts in the entire mainstream movie world) Its the quality of delivery and the bald, bold sense of humour. I think that is what has been lacking for a while.

Good news for both buyers and sellers, the average time it takes to sell a property fell again in Febuary from 18 to 17 weeks.

Could be worth keeping for historical value. In a few years people will p!ss themselves with laughter over this sort of thing. Or cry.

The place I'm renting would cost about £500k to buy.

My rent is £1400 pcm, but to rent the money to buy the place would cost £2000 a month, plus maintenance and costs on the building.

I'm about £10k a year up by renting, it's a no brainer...

lets face it, there are only 7 scripts in the entire mainstream movie world

Actually, I believe it's 39 stories and a few billion scripts (of which 99.9999% are crap). I forget who actually sat down and fit every story into their 39 categories.

My favourite read on a weekend is the Yorkshire Post [ its claim to fame is being Britians biggest selling regional newspaper] :huh:

Anyway I like Saturdays edition because it comes complete with a 20 page [mostly colour] up market propery supplement. And the best bit is always Page Two where all the guest writers are Estate Agency, Mortgage Brokers, Property Developer type contributers, or the papers own Property Industry Prostitute Sharon Dale.

Right here are some of this weeks article headlines [pity you cannot access it on line but there you are]

Main leader Spin.

Making a Splash in a Brave new World

Work is due to start on a scheme to mix existing council flats with new luxury apartments Sharon Dale reports...... There follows 32 column inches of VI spin complete with a massive 6" x 9.5" artists impression.

Yer right I went a expensive luxury apartment and I insist it be in a mixed development with chavs ...have you got that.

Here's another of todays classic offerings

Studio Flats are the Future

when it comes to Leeds city centre, small is beautiful, says John Marriot

Followed by 24 column inches of the usual.....John Marriot is a property consultant at Investec Private Bank.

It's basically saying least spent is better for landlords returns. It says the rental market in Yorkshire has risen over the last 12 months by 36.7%.....Landlords property values have increases by 38.6% since July 2004.......... bla bla bla

Call me a cynic but it looks to me like HPI is excluding the young from getting a home of their own, so it's been deemed to call then "young professional" and bung em in a bed sit.

OK heres another classic [ and remember the 38.6% increase in property values quoted above when you read this next snipet.]

Time to clinch a Sale

First time buyers reduced their market share of the market further in February from 9 to 7.8 per cent. bugger me more evidence the market is nearing terminal failure, but it gets better, this is pure Python A number of announcements regarding rises in council tax and utility bills way above the rate of inflation combined to hinder their progress, creating a greater challenge for young people attempting to save to buy a home

For F*cks Sake who writes this rubbish, house prices have gone up 200 to 300 percent over the past six or so years, but it ain't that what's reduced FTB'ers market share down to 7.8 % it's that pesky 4% council tax inflation that's done it.

Never mind who writes this crap....more importantly DO THEY ACTUALLY READ IT AND DO THEY THEMSELVES ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT?

Well the more I see of this blind infatuation with property, the more I realise it cannot be long before the last mug is fully commited to the market. It may be 9 /12 or 18 months coming, who knows, but it sure as hell is going to be messy when it happens. But never mind I'm sat here in my lovely rental with no maintainance or insurance costs, coming in at 6.9K per annum. In a property if it were to be bought at last like for like Land Registary sale price, would cost on an interest only mortgage @ 5.25% ....12.5K to rent it off the bank per year..............................renting is dead money my ar................

Quality...

most new builds developments are selling to housing association anyway.. so your neighbours are going to be ..

well...

Still I utilised the money I did not spend on a house to buy the complete buffy on DVD...

Better investment

End of season two right now..

it rocks

Edited by apom

:lol::lol::lol:

There are actually SO MANY good writers on the board.

Catch 22 your one of them.

Sometimes is not the message (lets face it, there are only 7 scripts in the entire mainstream movie world) Its the quality of delivery and the bald, bold sense of humour. I think that is what has been lacking for a while.

Well thank you fair maiden, I also enjoy your contributions. I do try my best, but alas I only have one keyboard compitant digit with which to produce my offering......some perhaps would say...FF for that :D

Actually, I believe it's 39 stories and a few billion scripts (of which 99.9999% are crap). I forget who actually sat down and fit every story into their 39 categories.

Must've been some laugh at parties whoever it was.

The place I'm renting would cost about £500k to buy.

My rent is £1400 pcm, but to rent the money to buy the place would cost £2000 a month, plus maintenance and costs on the building.

I'm about £10k a year up by renting, it's a no brainer...

sounds like a good deal - I know I pay a lot less in rent then mortgage repayments - but how do you come to £2000 pcm? I would have thought repayments would be a lot higher on a £500k property.

Guest Bart of Darkness
its claim to fame is being Britians biggest selling regional newspaper

It really should be called the West Yorkshire Post, just as BBC regional news prog "Look North" should be called "Look Leeds". <_<

I'm now sure HPC is on its way, even after the last week or two...ad in the Observer for studios/one bedders/two bedders on Garrett Lane, SW18 - starting at £249,995 for a studio! One of my family has lived just round the corner from here for over 20 years and it's a bit of a dump - a place where junior London office staff should be able to buy. This is madness.

In the early 90s I worked as a researcher into classic car valuations for a court case over the sale of a business (VERY high profile people). The classic car market tanked in the first week of December 1989 after an auction - suddenly people lost their nerve and sat on their hands. Peeps I knew said at the time that a cold, sick sense of reality set in when they stood back and looked at the prices - £1/4M for an unremarkable Aston or a bottom of the heap Ferrari. There wasn't a trigger as such, although one senior auction guy told me he was very pleased the economic downturn followed so soon after that it looked like the classic car market was crashed by the market generally. It wasn't that simple - in no small measure the crash followed from a sh!t what have we done paying £x for this heap of unremarkable cr@p moment of realisation - and the rest is history.

£249k for a studio off Garrett Lane to me is pure madness. Anybody who buys these must have lost any grip on reality.

sounds like a good deal - I know I pay a lot less in rent then mortgage repayments - but how do you come to £2000 pcm? I would have thought repayments would be a lot higher on a £500k property.

You're assuming the owner of a £500K house has a mortgage of £500K though.

It would cost a hell of a lot more to rent my house than I pay in mortgage so everyone's situation is clearly different.

I'm now sure HPC is on its way, even after the last week or two...ad in the Observer for studios/one bedders/two bedders on Garrett Lane, SW18 - starting at £249,995 for a studio! One of my family has lived just round the corner from here for over 20 years and it's a bit of a dump - a place where junior London office staff should be able to buy. This is madness.

In the early 90s I worked as a researcher into classic car valuations for a court case over the sale of a business (VERY high profile people). The classic car market tanked in the first week of December 1989 after an auction - suddenly people lost their nerve and sat on their hands. Peeps I knew said at the time that a cold, sick sense of reality set in when they stood back and looked at the prices - £1/4M for an unremarkable Aston or a bottom of the heap Ferrari. There wasn't a trigger as such, although one senior auction guy told me he was very pleased the economic downturn followed so soon after that it looked like the classic car market was crashed by the market generally. It wasn't that simple - in no small measure the crash followed from a sh!t what have we done paying £x for this heap of unremarkable cr@p moment of realisation - and the rest is history.

£249k for a studio off Garrett Lane to me is pure madness. Anybody who buys these must have lost any grip on reality.

Which part of Garratt Lane? I bought a 1-bed flat with my GF in 1999 (near Leather Bottle pub in Earlsfield) and sold in 2002 for £130k, pleased with the price. The next owner converted the roof space into a bedroom and changed the other rooms around and sold for £234k in 2004. Lot's of traffic and buses - couldn't open the windows in the summer because of the noise - quite shocking this flat living!!

You're assuming the owner of a £500K house has a mortgage of £500K though.

It would cost a hell of a lot more to rent my house than I pay in mortgage so everyone's situation is clearly different.

Damn,,, that explains the market and every bear point ever made.

Please say you realise that.

Most of the hideous debt is held by a very few..

and they think they are loaded.

Which part of Garratt Lane? I bought a 1-bed flat with my GF in 1999 (near Leather Bottle pub in Earlsfield) and sold in 2002 for £130k, pleased with the price. The next owner converted the roof space into a bedroom and changed the other rooms around and sold for £234k in 2004. Lot's of traffic and buses - couldn't open the windows in the summer because of the noise - quite shocking this flat living!!

Shamus, corner of Penwith Road, from the map looks to be right on the corner next to Garrett Lane. Sure, close to the tube, but still a dump.

Madness.