House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrongmove

In Defense Of Hpc.co.uk

Guest wrongmove

There have been a lot of posts recently ststing how boring HPC has become.

As someone who has lurked and then posted for about 2 years (remember the 'Old Forum'' ?) I have to agree that many of the threads have become less interesting to me recently. But I do not think that this is the fault of the HPC.

When I found HPC, I was already a bit of an uber-bear. So my first reaction was "Hey ! I'm not the only one !". HPI was running at about 20% p.a. then, and bearish news articles were almost non-existant in the mainstream press.

Over the next year or so, I read and contributed to many threads and learnt a huge about from all the different perspectives on the market. Myself and others had some great debates with "bulls", in particular TTRTR and BBB, but they were overall constructive, and I think both parties learnt something from them.

But after a while, the debate became a bit repetitive and tedious to me. This didn't surprise me. My time on HPC had shown me just about all the possible arguments, and I had the infomation to make up my own mind about the market and what I should do. So I moved on the Forums about subjects I didn't understand - investment strategies, for example, mainly on TMF and adfvn. I still pop in regularly for a look, but just read threads that look like they may be amusing or informative to me.

So what's point here ? To old members who find the forum boring, think back to when you first discovered it. Should today's newbies be denied that experience ? Should HPC be restricted to oldies, nodding sagely at each others well rehearsed arguments ?

Of course it shouldn't. HPC is like a pub or a cafe. If you hear a conversation at another table in a pub,would you run over and say "shut up - me and my mates talked about that last week, so you shouldn't debate it now". Of course not. That would be rude and ignorant. Should schools stop teaching arithmatic because we learnt it years ago ? Education is a never-ending process. There are always new "students" who need to learn what we already know.

So, some points in favour of HPC:

Its the only 24/7 forum that I know of. I can pop in here anytime I want and find new posts.

Great mix of posters - I think we could actually do with more (constructive) bulls, but the quality of humourous posts here is better than any other forum I frequent by miles :D

Huge flow of info in the form of articles and anecdotes

The Investment section is great if you just want to read a few general posts, rather than have to plough through sites like TMF and advfn. It is a good "foundation course" if you like, giving you the basics brefore you move on to more detailed and specific boards.

I do not mean to offend anyone with this post - I am not offended by people who disagree with me, but I know that some people don't like it. But what is more boring, a boring thread about the housing market, or a boring thread about how boring the boring thread was.

Maybe I should start a thread about how boring I find boring threads about how boring other boring threads have become. Maybe I just have ! :P

So cheers to webmaster, the mods, and all the posters here for educating and entertaining me for nearly 2 years now. Even the boring ones !

Edited by wrongmove

Guest consa

So cheers to webmaster, the mods, and all the posters here for educating and entertaining me for nearly 2 years now. Even the boring ones !

Does that include Ignorant Steve? :blink:

Guest wrongmove

Does that include Ignorant Steve? :blink:

Well, you've put me on the spot there ! :lol:

But taking IS as an example - he is a wind-up merchant, but some people do rather ask for it. Ignore him, and he will go away.

HPC is like a pub or a cafe. If you hear a conversation at another table in a pub,would you run over and say "shut up - me and my mates talked about that last week, so you shouldn't debate it now". Of course not. That would be rude and ignorant.

Right Freds Dead just found some new competition! :lol: That was hilarious!

Guest wrongmove

Good post, W.M.

Thanks DrB. I appreciate your large contribution to the housing debate and wider issues. I think your points are very valid, if a little "utopian". I will just address one:

+ Become more aware of the issue. Consider that the same old debates bo not need to be repeated and rehashed forever.

Here I disagree. The same old debates do need to be repeated for newbies. It is only by reading and posting that newbies can crystallise their own view of the market. The Main Forum on HPC seems like an ideal place for this. If they can't do it there, where can they go?

Give those who want to become acquainted with the debate a place to go to read historical postings on it.

We have the classics threads and the whole forum is archived. The whole point of a forum is to debate in real time, not to just gen up on "received wisdom". Who decides which information should be presented as "the truth" ? This goes against the whole ethic and point of forums, IMHO.

Guest wrongmove

"The same old debates do need to be repeated for newbies. It is only by reading and posting that newbies can crystallise their own view of the market."

Maybe you are right.

Perhaps what we need here is a "Veteran's Forum", for those who have:

been here for x months, or made over y postings

I don't know if there are any technical reasons why this couldn't be done, but why not ? I think it would address the points you and others have raised while still allowing the useful "scrum" that is the Main Forum.

I bet you it would be boring though :D

ps. the last line was a joke, and a scrum is from rugby - but you have been in uk long enough to know of our strange habits !

Agree with wrongmove - I think it's inevitable that as more and more people join HPC (and perhaps as a HPC gets itself more and more likely) then "old-timers" will find that many of the debates are less relevant to them - they're for people who are going through this for the first time. Inevitably, too, the focus will also change from threads that are interested in hard financial data to include debates that are interested in wider, "softer" issues. It may also be that this means that things start getting debated that more longstanding forum members find boring or irrelevant - such as the impact of HPI on children, families and society - because those aren't their own personal interests. But this doesn't mean that they're less important issues just because they aren't based on detailed market analysis or figures, surely?

But this is part and parcel of a site becoming more popular - all internet forums find their character changes as new people join. I'm a member of another internet forum which started as a small group of people who knew each other relatively well. Then when the site became popular and more and more people joined, the older members complained that the "character" of the site had changed and they seceded to form a closed Yahoo group so that they could talk only to one another again and not be disturbed by any new members! :lol: I wouldn't want to see HPC become like that, because the veteran, more knowledgeable members are pivotal to the site's character! But they might have to accept that as more people discover the forum, it might become in some ways a victim of its own success. But this is a good thing, surely - because it means that the HPC cause is filtering through, slowly but surely, to a much wider public....? It also means, in positive terms, that the veterans have the opportunity to engage with a much wider audience than before.

"The same old debates do need to be repeated for newbies.

It is only by reading and posting that newbies can crystallise their own view of the market."

Maybe you are right.

Perhaps what we need here is a "Veteran's Forum", for those who have:

been here for x months, or made over y postings

I use a forum that has that (there are hidden forums only available to some people). It might solve the problem, but it also creates a feeling of divisiveness and cliquiness and encourages resentment.

Maybe the solution is to ignore some threads that look boring? Or, you might have to accept the role of guru and teacher, and patiently lead the newbies to wisdom, even though it might be a bit dull!

Or what about an additional forum just for market data and technical debates on HPI, that everyone could use but that would have a specific prohibition from posting anecotals, arguments and random discussion (which would remain on the main board?)

mmmm..theres been a lot of negative posts on the forum recently.

try the priced out's prayer. keeps you sane.

Our crash, who art in progress,

Downturn be thy Name.

Thy crash has come.

Many will be undone,

3.5x income, as it was in 1997.

Pass us all your pay our landlords said.

And give boomers back their bus passes,

As we forgive those who made this cash against us.

And lead us not into the same btl temptation,

But deliver us from this new evil.

Lets head for tile kingdom,

with the power tools,

and end this story,

for ever and ever.

Amen Andrews.

(if you tip the prayer sideways it also represents the graph of the crash)

Edited by right_freds_dead

Guest wrongmove

:lol::lol::lol:

Fred, thank you for reinforcing my comment about HPC humour.

Except with you, it's not humour, is it. I bet you actually say this each night before you go to bed ! :D

mmmm..theres been a lot of negative posts on the forum recently.

try the priced out's prayer. keeps you sane.

Our crash, who art in progress,

Downturn be thy Name.

Thy crash has come.

Many will be undone,

3.5x income, as it was in 1997.

Pass us all your pay our landlords said.

And give boomers back their bus passes,

As we forgive those who made this cash against us.

And lead us not into the same btl temptation,

But deliver us from this new evil.

Lets head for tile kingdom,

with the power tools,

and end this story,

for ever and ever.

Amen Andrews.

(if you tip the prayer sideways it also represents the graph of the crash)

Brilliant

mouths_004.gif

post-67-1143290611.gif