House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classixuk

A Very Stupid Crazy Thought

Do you know what? I have just had the strangest thought.

Now bear in mind that I'm doing shifts at the moment, and although it may be 5.55AM for you, to me it is lunchtime and I have just had a couple of glasses of wine with my "dinner" (a nice curry).

I was reading the posts here and started to hear the birds singing their morning chorus outside. It was beautiful. Aware of the fact that tonight at 1AM the clocks will go forward one hour, I thought about the fact that tommorrow morning the birds would not sing until one hour later.

CRAZY THOUGHT ALERT: "Oh My God", thought I. "How do the birds know not to sing until 7.00am rather than 6.00am?"

Now let me get this straight...I wasn't concerned that nobody would tell the birds (that WOULD be crazy), but how it is that the birds KNOW not to start singing until 7AM rather than 6AM (which as I write this post seems even crazier still)!

Of course, it only took a spilt second for me to realise that the birds will sing as soon as day dawns regardless of the time we humans give that moment, but...how can I put this? That split second of working it all out in my brain made me feel like Einstein! I felt I had actually solved the world's biggest ponderable and it felt fantastic!

Perhaps I should give up wine with my meal?

:lol:

Guest consa

Do you know what? I have just had the strangest thought.

Perhaps I should give up wine with my meal?

:lol:

Perhaps you should give up the curry, it has a drug in it you know :lol::lol:

Perhaps it's not even the curry Consa! Perhaps obsessing about house prices and the economy has actually tipped me over the edge.

Take this little example from 2 days ago:

My partner and I were sat watching TV (Fred Dibnahs "Age of Steam" of all things).

"My God," says I. "I think I've just worked out how to solve the problem of perpetual motion".

"Really?", asked my partner, with a look of disbelief.

And so I explained...

"A giant tank of water feeds a giant water wheel. Attached to this giant water wheel by excessive gearing is a loose threaded Archimedes screw. The Archimedes screw turns 100 rotations for every complete cycle of the water wheel. Thus the Archimedes screw lifts water from the collection tank back up to the feeder tank and the entire cycle continues. The Archimedes screw could also drive a turbine and thus would generate energy."

I seriously believed that I had cracked it. I thought I had dreamt up a new way of producing power. Every home could have one!

How stupid am I? Best stick to cutting hair! LOL :rolleyes:

Guest consa

Perhaps it's not even the curry Consa! Perhaps obsessing about house prices and the economy has actually tipped me over the edge.

Take this little example from 2 days ago:

My partner and I were sat watching TV (Fred Dibnahs "Age of Steam" of all things).

"My God," says I. "I think I've just worked out how to solve the problem of perpetual motion".

"Really?", asked my partner, with a look of disbelief.

And so I explained...

"A giant tank of water feeds a giant water wheel. Attached to this giant water wheel by excessive gearing is a loose threaded Archimedes screw. The Archimedes screw turns 100 rotations for every complete cycle of the water wheel. Thus the Archimedes screw lifts water from the collection tank back up to the feeder tank and the entire cycle continues. The Archimedes screw could also drive a turbine and thus would generate energy."

I seriously believed that I had cracked it. I thought I had dreamt up a new way of producing power. Every home could have one!

How stupid am I? Best stick to cutting hair! LOL :rolleyes:

OK, don't tell anyone, but I had an idea to levitate cars via magnetism similar to a railway in china I believe, you simply install magnetic particles in all the roads and create a reverse polarisation under the car, you could then propel it through reverse atomisation and therefore have thrust, problems would be when you needed to stop :lol::lol: you would need big heels and a hole in the floor and turning would be a problem.

OK, don't tell anyone, but I had an idea to levitate cars via magnetism similar to a railway in china I believe, you simply install magnetic particles in all the roads and create a reverse polarisation under the car, you could then propel it through reverse atomisation and therefore have thrust, problems would be when you needed to stop :lol::lol: you would need big heels and a hole in the floor and turning would be a problem.

A man after my own heart!

That idea wouldn't be a problem at all on motorways! Say the vehicle was a "hybrid". It was a regualr car for urban driving (with wheels), but when joining a motorway it had an option to switch on the magnet in the outer two lanes.

My vision of your idea would be a constant flow of 60 MPH traffic on motorways. As you joined the inside lane of the motorway you could engage your "auto cruise" control. This would drop the magnet within 2 inches of the road surface (motorways do not have bumps etc.) You would then accelerate upto 55-60MPH in the inside lane as usual, but upon joining the second lane the car would lift an inch or two from the road and be thrusted forward in the manner you describe. This would leave the driver free to relax for most of the journey. If any hills were met during the journey the front wheels would re-engage with the road surface thus angling the vehicle correctly.

The SAT Nav can already be programmed to warn 100yds/200yds/300yds etc before a turning so leaving the motorway would work a bit like this...the SAT NAV tells you that you need to leave the motorway at the junction in 500 yds. You dis-engage the "cruise control" which gently removes power from the electro magnet and lowers the wheels of the vehicle back to the ground. At this point the driver regains control of the accelaration, indicates left, leaves the "auto-lane" and carries on as normal.

Your idea could work Consa! It would require a lot of collaboration between governments and car manufacturers but look at it another way. Where I live (Liverpool) we have a massive Ford factory. Many years ago we had trams connecting all the main suburbs to the city centre (1910s-1950s). To drive up sales, Ford paid the council a vast amount of money to withdraw the tram service AND paid for the removal of the tram lines. The result? Car sales increased massively and every dual carriageway had a massive "green garden" running down the middle of it (where the tram lines used to be). Funny thing is, the council are now planning on using those "green gardens" to....guess what....build a new tram link to the city centre! Perhaps it's not just house prices that are cyclical?

Seriously though; your idea could work on existing motorways!

Guest consa

I took it for granted that most people know that levitation by magnetic power is fact. Do you think that some of the users may be a bit dubious about magnets being used to propell traffic? Is that why you posted the link?

No, I wasn't doubting you, just like to back up what I am saying and hopefully get some more feedback on the obstacles that are in place, like turning and stopping.

Turning could be by way of electromagnets creating alternative fields on each side of the front of the car and stopping could be by way of restricting the atom flow or reversing it although I am by no means a physician and would therefore welcome any criticism.

The Idea is good but the complexities of it are too great for me to get it going, hence why I have put it here.

Ther would also need to possibly be an inverted curvature of the road to assist the navigation.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I was reading the posts here and started to hear the birds singing their morning chorus outside. It was beautiful. Aware of the fact that tonight at 1AM the clocks will go forward one hour, I thought about the fact that tommorrow morning the birds would not sing until one hour later.

The best time to hear bird song is at dawn. The dawn chorus is one of the marvels of nature. Birds all over the world show the greatest amount of singing activity around dawn, from English woodland to tropical rainforest. But why they do it is still not clearly understood.

One reason may be that dawn is the best time for sound to travel, because there is little wind and less other noise and disturbance. Songs broadcast at dawn can be 20 times as effective as those broadcast at midday. And this is a time when birds can't do much else. Light intensity is low, making it difficult for them to hunt and forage. Low temperatures keep their insect prey on the ground.

By singing at dawn, when their energy reserves are low after the night, male birds may be telling females that they are nevertheless still fit for breeding. A male singing lustily is demonstrating that he has spare energy in abundance. Dawn may be a good time to sing, but there is likely to be a lot of vocal competition. So there are advantages to singing at a different time of day, particularly when two different species have similar songs.

That last post threw me Consa. You're too brainy for the likes of I.

How about solving the following problems with your theory; build on each one step by step?

a) Make a car travel in a straight line

B) Make a car travel in a straight line and then stop

c) Make a car travel in a short straight line and then make a slight turn to the left before stopping

etc etc.

Do you see what I mean (I hope to God you do not think that I am being patronising!)?

You probably know the answers already, you just need to break down the process that is transport.

I had a thought regarding the motorway journey thing...if the vehicle was fitted with magnetic strips down each side and those strips were charged with a positive polarity; would a barrier running down either side of the traffic lane (like crash barriers) that also had some type of positive charge not repel the vehicle? This could be used to "steer" the vehicle around bends etc. surely, purely by repelling the vehicle from hitting it?

Doesn't anyone else want to join in here? It's quite interesting!

In reply to your post Charlie...

That's all nonsense mate. I came up with the answer to why birds sing in the morning when I was kid. Birds aren't very clever (due to their small brains) and as such have terrible memories. This can be evidenced by the fact that they can never travel alone. In a typical migration of 1-2000 birds, only one bird might remember the way back home, thus the rest follow him and hope for the best. It's the same in the mornings. They will often forget where they are upon waking. They chirp cheep chirp until they hear the chirping of their friends to reassure them that they are not alone or lost. Once they feel reassured they shut up.

That was my theory aged 9 anyway! :lol:

Guest consa

That last post threw me Consa. You're too brainy for the likes of I.

How about solving the following problems with your theory; build on each one step by step?

a) Make a car travel in a straight line

B) Make a car travel in a straight line and then stop

c) Make a car travel in a short straight line and then make a slight turn to the left before stopping

etc etc.

Do you see what I mean (I hope to God you do not think that I am being patronising!)?

You probably know the answers already, you just need to break down the process that is transport.

I had a thought regarding the motorway journey thing...if the vehicle was fitted with magnetic strips down each side and those strips were charged with a positive polarity; would a barrier running down either side of the traffic lane (like crash barriers) that also had some type of positive charge not repel the vehicle? This could be used to "steer" the vehicle around bends etc. surely, purely by repelling the vehicle from hitting it?

Doesn't anyone else want to join in here? It's quite interesting!

I would need a physician to let me know about the stopping, and turning, ie:whether the electromagnets or reverse atomisation could do this and how. The design of the roads wouldn't be a problem to accomodate the flexibility of the system, although if the road was inverted it could cause problems for existing cars, so maybe a central lane would be the answer.

And if you were really rich you could buy more powerful magnets and glide above other cars :lol:

Yous see this is where I am stuck. :unsure:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Ah, you`re not a fan of Bill Oddie then? ;)

In reply to your post Charlie...

That's all nonsense mate. I came up with the answer to why birds sing in the morning when I was kid. Birds aren't very clever (due to their small brains) and as such have terrible memories. This can be evidenced by the fact that they can never travel alone. In a typical migration of 1-2000 birds, only one bird might remember the way back home, thus the rest follow him and hope for the best. It's the same in the mornings. They will often forget where they are upon waking. They chirp cheep chirp until they hear the chirping of their friends to reassure them that they are not alone or lost. Once they feel reassured they shut up.

Now this is a more interesting thread than most on HPC these days.

I heard an article on the radio about this very phenomenon. Why do birds sing at dawn? The view was that regulating body weight is an important consideration for flight. Overnight a bird can lose up to 15% of body weight keeping warm. In the morning, particularly after a mild night, the bird sings to reduce its body weight in order to fly. The bird then fills up during the day to cope with the colder temperature at night.

I would have real concerns about having high elecromagnetic fields all over the place. I think the power generation would need to be massive. I think that pedestrians would end up with f*cked up watches. I know the maglift train works but its not a road system with multiple vehicles

You could use air brakes or you could use +- polarity to stove it into the ground. Of course if your using side rails to direct the vehicle then you could use it. If you maintained the field on the road system then have the variable magnets on the cars then the side magnets could both go +- and basically push really hard on the side rails which would squish the car to a stop.

If you had a system where you had 4 beams basically making a really long rectangle then the fields could be used to keep the vehicle central you could have layers of them and rows of them and have a whole motorway system in advance of 200 MPH (a nice number) with enough distance between the transportation units (they arnt cars anymore) that each one could stop in time should there be a problem.

Possible yes, practical with todays technologies i dont think so.

I would need a physician to let me know about the stopping, and turning, :unsure:

You would need a physician if you got hit by a car that couldn't stop or turn. In the meantime I will send you a spare physicist that is lying around the kennel to help you out.

Guest consa

Hey Consa!

I think that somebody has already beaten you to it!

See this link.

Hey thats cool how do they do it? I would like to see more :rolleyes: