House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Auction In L`pool Today

approx 108 lots, 20 or so withdrawn before start due to being pre-sold etc. Out of the remaining 90 I`d say the gavel genuinely went down on only 30 although as usual a lot of the smart money doesn`t bid B) . No pissing contests on any property, other than one in L4, guide price 50, went for 76. Most expensive in the road sold for 85, 10 months ago according to nethouseprices.

Talking to an Irish guy who had been buying and selling at the auction for 4 years, he was buying nothing only selling having "Bled the auction dry over the years"

Well attended, overall I reckon they`ll have rid themsleves of 60% by the time all the pre and post sales take place.

Yields, even though some of these are relatively cheap, I still shake my head when folk pay 60k for a place with an AST of 300 pcm :o How the fook does that work then? Although there were two places in the same road went for a combined 78K with 16K rent per annum. <_<

Even better are the houses in roads with other properties "boarded up". You`d have to be on drugs or dealing them from the boarded up place to want them, or so I thought.

I`m always left with the view, however, that the stupid money will take a long time to evaporate from the auction floor and property in general as lots of joe public really does believe he`s found the magic key to financial freedom. This auction performance has been the same now for a year.

so Lurker,

whats your opinion on the strength of BTL in the city then? Can it go lower?

Was this Auction Sutton Kersh or Venmores? or A.N.Other?

The stories I am hearing on the street so to speak is the market is EXTREMELY QUITE for the time of year. Yes there are a few properties selling but this so-called SPRING BOUNCE has not really kicked in. What are you hearing?

TB

approx 108 lots, 20 or so withdrawn before start due to being pre-sold etc. Out of the remaining 90 I`d say the gavel genuinely went down on only 30 although as usual a lot of the smart money doesn`t bid B) . No pissing contests on any property, other than one in L4, guide price 50, went for 76. Most expensive in the road sold for 85, 10 months ago according to nethouseprices.

Talking to an Irish guy who had been buying and selling at the auction for 4 years, he was buying nothing only selling having "Bled the auction dry over the years"

Well attended, overall I reckon they`ll have rid themsleves of 60% by the time all the pre and post sales take place.

Yields, even though some of these are relatively cheap, I still shake my head when folk pay 60k for a place with an AST of 300 pcm :o How the fook does that work then? Although there were two places in the same road went for a combined 78K with 16K rent per annum. <_<

Even better are the houses in roads with other properties "boarded up". You`d have to be on drugs or dealing them from the boarded up place to want them, or so I thought.

I`m always left with the view, however, that the stupid money will take a long time to evaporate from the auction floor and property in general as lots of joe public really does believe he`s found the magic key to financial freedom. This auction performance has been the same now for a year.

Its 20 to 2 I'm pissed and guess what... I still aint looking! :lol::lol::lol::P

other than one in L4, guide price 50, went for 76. Most expensive in the road sold for 85, 10 months ago according to nethouseprices.

i'm from L4 - its not exactly posh :blink:

do u know which bit it was??

Everton getting tonked in the derby, can`t watch anymore, so may as well do some work/research :( OK, I`ll attempt to answer queries. Firstly TB, the Beetham lots were withdrawn, offere made on the pair for 400K I believe :o

Very disappointed to find no FTBs there, once again. Plenty of examples of good value if you do your research and cross reference with nethouseprices. For example place in Litherland went for 103, similar ones in road (made good) going for 155 last year. needed 20K spending on it, bingo! Potentially insulated from 20k/20% falls, or building in own equity over a period of time...?

Walton, place went for...oops it`s now 2-1 catch up later.

OK place in Walton, some in road sold for 95 last year, one place went for 76, needed nothing doing to it, completely habitable. L15 place sold for 85, needed v. little work, similar in road sold for 135+ in 2005.

So plenty of opportunites missed by FTBs. Are auctions too scary, or are a proportion of FTBs too fussy?

Edited by Converted Lurker

Yeah,

I lived in Anfield for 26 years, used to be OK but started to get worse and worse as the years went by, Mum and Dad sold their terraced 3 bedroom victorian house in November 2002 for £39,500 so that they could rent. I told them to keep hold of it and wait for the so-called "regeneration" to kick in and they'd probably get more for it but they didn't listen, (they didn't need the money for rent or anything) and went ahead and sold it. Less than 2 years later the house 2 doors away went for £85,000 but my folks still insist that they "made their money". Originally bought for £7,000 in 1978, paid £13,00 back after 20 year mortgage interest...

Still visit quite regularly as I've still got a lot of mates round there, apparently the street I used to live in has gone right down the nick, dealers in their Mondeos and Vectras with no seat belts and ear glued to Mobile phone couriering £20 bags. You know things are bad when a quiet side street gets speed humps put in...

msp

Litherland went for 103, similar ones in road (made good) going for 155 last year. needed 20K spending on it, bingo! Potentially insulated from 20k/20% falls, or building in own equity over a period of time...?

Walton, place went for...oops it`s now 2-1 catch up later.

OK place in Walton, some in road sold for 95 last year, one place went for 76, needed nothing doing to it, completely habitable. L15 place sold for 85, needed v. little work, similar in road sold for 135+ in 2005.

So plenty of opportunites missed by FTBs.

I'm not sure how comparing to a now unobtainable price from last year makes the properties a good deal, by buying you're simply setting the new market value for that sort of property. Does it occur to you that the 2005 prices were stupidly overvalued and now only marginally less so?

I know of a house for sale for 90K which has a 350 pcm rent. Though the EA was saying that there might be some scope to increase the rent.

Anyone who wants to buy it send me a PM :rolleyes:

Billy Shears

Still visit quite regularly as I've still got a lot of mates round there, apparently the street I used to live in has gone right down the nick, dealers in their Mondeos and Vectras with no seat belts and ear glued to Mobile phone couriering £20 bags. You know things are bad when a quiet side street gets speed humps put in...

:o Liverpool is stupidly out of line with fundamentals, anyone that suggests that the current lull is a good time to buy needs their head looking, there is no basis to support prices at these levels.

I'm not sure how comparing to a now unobtainable price from last year makes the properties a good deal, by buying you're simply setting the new market value for that sort of property. Does it occur to you that the 2005 prices were stupidly overvalued and now only marginally less so?

Perhaps it`s my maths, perhaps I`m just not as bright as you...historically auctions have been a good place to buy a bargain. Now all the froth has disappeared that time is returning. A house for 103K when similar ones in the road, (last year not this), sold for 155K with only 20K work needing doing (which you do not have to do to move in) seems OK to me <_< unless... OMG!...prices collapse by 50% :o What space ship have you been abducted by? :P

Perhaps it`s my maths, perhaps I`m just not as bright as you...historically auctions have been a good place to buy a bargain. Now all the froth has disappeared that time is returning. A house for 103K when similar ones in the road, (last year not this), sold for 155K with only 20K work needing doing (which you do not have to do to move in) seems OK to me <_< unless... OMG!...prices collapse by 50% :o What space ship have you been abducted by? :P

It's all relative, set the prices in the context of the last five years for instance, is £123k still good value for a house that was selling for £40k?

As for the space ship, it makes a Bubb, Bubb, Bubb noise when it takes off.

It's all relative, set the prices in the context of the last five years for instance, is £123k still good value for a house that was selling for £40k?

As for the space ship, it makes a Bubb, Bubb, Bubb noise when it takes off.

Sorry, just re-read my post, didn`t mean to sound arsey. Yep, this Irish lad I got talking to was buying up places in Toxteth for 5-15K 4 years ago :o

Sorry, just re-read my post, didn`t mean to sound arsey. Yep, this Irish lad I got talking to was buying up places in Toxteth for 5-15K 4 years ago :o

Has Toxteth exhibited a >500% improvement of late? :) Sometimes a bit of context helps.

No, Toxteth hasn't improved in the least of late.

I've been living there for the past 5 years and, whilst things have improved since the 1981 riots of the Toxteth Triangle, I can safely say that it definitely hasn't improved in any visible sense of the word. This is mainly 'cos the young kids who were there before me have now become young men who basically want to make a living...this is by no means all of them, but you get the idea?

The council did however decide to pedestrianise a perfectly good road and lay £8 Million worth of stone across it complete with spotlights protruding out of it at measured intervals because they felt that it "symbolised the new, confident air of the people of Toxteth". I've nearly gone flying over these spotlights a few times 'cos they're so prominent, I can just see the smack heads now trying to break their one good leg across one so that they can put in a claim to spend on more rocks.

Oh yeah, and the council didn't bother to spend any money on the surrounding areas of the £8 Million pavement, probably 'cos the people exude so much confidence that they felt it would've been a waste of money...plus I don't think any visitors to the City for 2008 would've ventured out that far unless they were looking to score some crack or smack...

msp

I've been living there for the past 5 years and, whilst things have improved since the 1981 riots of the Toxteth Triangle, I can safely say that it definitely hasn't improved in any visible sense of the word. This is mainly 'cos the young kids who were there before me have now become young men who basically want to make a living...this is by no means all of them, but you get the idea?

The council did however decide to pedestrianise a perfectly good road and lay £8 Million worth of stone across it complete with spotlights protruding out of it at measured intervals because they felt that it "symbolised the new, confident air of the people of Toxteth". I've nearly gone flying over these spotlights a few times 'cos they're so prominent, I can just see the smack heads now trying to break their one good leg across one so that they can put in a claim to spend on more rocks.

Oh yeah, and the council didn't bother to spend any money on the surrounding areas of the £8 Million pavement, probably 'cos the people exude so much confidence that they felt it would've been a waste of money...plus I don't think any visitors to the City for 2008 would've ventured out that far unless they were looking to score some crack or smack...

msp

The most depressing bit for me of my old home town is New Kensington. My 13yr old daughter asks if we can drive a different way to catch the M62 as she finds it so deperessing. Now that area is what, one mile from the city centre? The local politics have stunk the place out for a decade, Mr Storey has cut and run before the S.H.I.T. hits the fan... <_<

msp

Most of what you say is true. But I still feel that 'Tocky' has an unfair press. I live in Aigburth and regularly drive through Princess Road, Lodge Lane and my G/F lives in Dingle with her dad. Her Dad owns a Home in North Hill Street and I sometimes go there.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I would walk through Toxteth at ANYTIME - Day or Night (Used to walking home from the Grafton ;0) But thats a different story). I would not however walk through SPEKE, KENNY, PARTS OF HUYTON, DOVECOT, PARTS OF WEST DERBY.

These are more hostile areas i.m.h.o. Unfortunately Tocky gets the brunt of it. I would imagine that Tocky is no worse or better than Moss-side. I hear bad stories coming from Salford Quays. Apparently a place called 'Seven' (Repro & design House) had a policy of telling visitors that their cars were parked at their own risk. A lot of times there would be car vandalised or stolen EVERY WEEK. Right Fred Dead should be able to clarify this??? I have heard it from a few sources though.

Toxteth is not GREAT but it certainly is not bad either. Aigburth has had more recent shootings than tocky and its supposed to be nice here!!

TB

I would imagine that Tocky is no worse or better than Moss-side.

Now that really is damning with faint praise!

Now that really is damning with faint praise!

I see your point - what I meant was...

Toxteth COULD be as bad as MOSS-SIDE but moss-side does not get as much bad press as tocky.

Tocky imho is probably a LOT better than people think.

TB

Oh yeah TB, I'd be inclined to agree with regards to Toxteth not being anywhere near as bad as people who do not know the area suggest. It's been getting a bad rap since the riots of '81 but I'd be much happier walking through Toxteth at any time of day or night than I would through any of the districts you mentioned...I'd even include Anfield in that list now to be honest...

I was just illustrating that I wouldn't say that there had been a significant improvement in the general area of Toxteth since I've been there to justify any type of property price hike...let alone the astronomical price increases that have hit the entire country.

Yeah, the drugs thing is a problem there but I'm sure it's pretty much the same all over...Anfield has gotten bad for it, Croxteth and Norris Green are very bad again after a 15 year or so lull, Walton has always been bad for it. But with me living in Toxteth and observing first hand the shuffling, no-****, filthy tracky, bag-head limping Wastes of Life every day who check the Change repositories in all the Pay And Display machines on their way into Town, and who pick Ciggy Butts off the floor to get the last nicotine hit while they're waiting for a crime to commit for their next "real" hit it's the only area of Liverpool that I now feel qualified to comment on. No-one should have to live with a Crack House at the end of the road...

The Local Councils are only interested in making the City Centre look good for visitors and are ignoring the surrounding areas...Kensington has been a $hithole for years, Toxteth has promise as well as the most diverse ethnic communities anywhere in the City but like the other areas mentioned there is no money being spent on them...and never will be

msp

Hrm, is that legal? :unsure:

She Laughed :)

One more point about Toxtexh. It has some of the BEST HOUSES THIS COUNTRY HAS TO OFFER.

Princess Road and Princess Drive used to be home to the rich and famous. All the doctors and lawyers in the last 1800's to early 1900's lived there. These are Victorian houses that most people would die to own. These are ALL in Liverpool 8!!!

One or two say Aigburth but its just a lie - EA's do lie once or Twice I believe.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-534...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-607...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-589...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-525...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-621...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-365...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-534...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-625...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-110...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-581...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

TB