House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
music man

Troll Alerts

I'm sure we have all come across some very dubious HPC conversations in our time.

After all why do housing Co.'s spend millions on advertising and not give a couple of guys £20K per year to put across subtle advertising, or even trolls. And let's thank them for the 10 year fixed rate that they pushed for a while on this site, I actually thought it would be a good deal until I realised the price of the Gad Dom house.

So let's give the detremental wind up post a miss and enjoy the forum as it used to be.

If we post against them, they come up at the top............. again and again..........

HPC here we come and for the next few months we'll see more anecdotal evidence and much more spin.

I'm going to enjoy it. :D:D:D

Yep, the housing crash has well and truly started.

Now we just have to watch the agony of people who were suckered into this mess.

It's going to be very unpleasant, and all the way down people like Kirsty will try to blame people like us who tried to speak against the madness.

And none of your friends will ever admit you were right, at most they may say you were "lucky" not to buy.

It just aint fair.

Learn to live with it.

Edited by BandWagon

And I hope they blame people like us for not being the last of the fools.

You fools' fool's, fool's, opps what they won't bite.

What not bite Arthur, are they imune to consumerism.

I'm afraid so guv. it's all over.

No more dodgy loans even if we tried except for the losses.

Edited by music man

I must agree.

Perhaps we need a do not feel the trolls banner on the screen to serve as a constant reminder.

There is a reason for the recent influx of trolls - things aren't as good as they claim them to be. They come from several sources I expect, EAs, Finance Co's, BTL'ers with whatever particular agenda they have.

Next time you see a troll and you have to reply, don't argue with them just ask them "If everything is so good with the housing market why are you here?" (or similar).

Guest The_Oldie

The place is crawling with VI trolls who are determined to disrupt proceedings by argumentative behaviour and starting as many threads as possible to clutter the forum and mask the interesting threads.

The problem is that when we try to do something about it, everyone starts crying "freedom of speech".......we can't win can we? :(.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing (or add the trolls to your ignore list).

We have a high turnover of threads here so buy simply not responding the trolls thread will make it disappear off the front page in a couple of hours.

The difficulty with trolls is in determining who is a troll and who is not. Some people here may be truly bullish about the market but that does not make them trolls. It's how they post that makes them trolls. Bill Gates is a troll for instance.

Personally, I do like to see bullish posts here. It keeps me on my toes and shows me the "other side" to our assumptions/beliefs. It provides me with an education.

The real trolls (like Bill Gates etc.), I just ignore.

This all kicked off when HPC was mentioned in some newspaper recently. The FT wasn't it? Think how many malicious or just plain mischievous people with PCs there are out there. Of course stealth posting goes on.

If I were an EA I would have started posting BEARISHLY over a year ago to give force to my BULL volte-face.

Not rocket-science really is it? I'm quite flattered that representitives of a 'booming' industry give so much of their time to scuppering a site like this! Thanks Guys!

If you're an estate agent reading this - YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR JOB VERY SOON.

Guest The_Oldie

The difficulty with trolls is in determining who is a troll and who is not. Some people here may be truly bullish about the market but that does not make them trolls. It's how they post that makes them trolls. Bill Gates is a troll for instance.

Personally, I do like to see bullish posts here. It keeps me on my toes and shows me the "other side" to our assumptions/beliefs. It provides me with an education.

The real trolls (like Bill Gates etc.), I just ignore.

An estate agent, or mortgage broker, can be truly bullish about the market, but when he registers here with a number of identities, which he uses to back himself up, he becomes a troll.

If I were an EA I would have started posting BEARISHLY over a year ago to give force to my BULL volte-face.

Yup, we've got a few of those <_<.

The place is crawling with VI trolls who are determined to disrupt proceedings by argumentative behaviour and starting as many threads as possible to clutter the forum and mask the interesting threads.

The problem is that when we try to do something about it, everyone starts crying "freedom of speech".......we can't win can we? :(.

:lol:

It's a forum...

Yup, we've got a few of those .

You guys are getting paranoid.

Calling people who are unbelievers in a monster HPC 'trolls' just undermines your credibility.

I don't see much evidence of an increase in trolls or troll posts (unless thet are being removed before I see them) on here, more a change in sentiment. Long time posters are becoming resigned to the fact that the HPC isn't going to happen as quick as they'd like nor in the manner they'd like.

You should be able to accommodate opposing views on here. Otherwise the site will just become a cultish freak show.

An estate agent, or mortgage broker, can be truly bullish about the market, but when he registers here with a number of identities, which he uses to back himself up, he becomes a troll.

Yup, we've got a few of those <_<.

This is against the board rules and any poster doing this (bull or bear) should have their ability to post temporarily suspended. They should also be sent a standard private message stating why the moderators have taken such action and a link to the rules of using the board. The poster should then be invited to explain which username they wish to continue using. Firm but fair.

If as the moderators you had a standard "Your right to post new topics or threads has been temporarily suspended" private message, with the link to the board rules, it would make your jobs so much easier, and the consistancy of the moderation levels much smoother.

I'm not sure if I am making myself clear or just coming over extremely patronising (which I do not intend to).

Imagine that each of the moderators has a .txt file on their PC desktop that they can copy and paste as private messages to warn users:

Dear Housepricecrash member,

Your ability to post new topics has been temporarily suspended as it has come to our attention that you may have either intentionally or unintentionally broken one or more of the Housepricecrash Forum Rules.

Please review the housepricecrash forum rules by following this link: XXXXXX

You appear to be in breach of the following rule/s: (Moderator copy and paste rule here)

In order for us to reinstate your posting rights you will need to take the folllowing action: (Moderator tells user what to do e.g. Reply to this message telling us which one username you would like to continue using)

Please note that this warning has been recorded against your account. Users who receive 3 or more warnings will be suspended permanently.

Thankyou,

The Moderators at Housepricecrash.co.uk

Something like that would be ideal to be honest. Keep the reprimands private and the praise public, that's what I reckon.

:)

Guest consa

This is against the board rules and any poster doing this (bull or bear) should have their ability to post temporarily suspended. They should also be sent a standard private message stating why the moderators have taken such action and a link to the rules of using the board. The poster should then be invited to explain which username they wish to continue using. Firm but fair.

If as the moderators you had a standard "Your right to post new topics or threads has been temporarily suspended" private message, with the link to the board rules, it would make your jobs so much easier, and the consistancy of the moderation levels much smoother.

I'm not sure if I am making myself clear or just coming over extremely patronising (which I do not intend to).

Imagine that each of the moderators has a .txt file on their PC desktop that they can copy and paste as private messages to warn users:

Dear Housepricecrash member,

Your ability to post new topics has been temporarily suspended as it has come to our attention that you may have either intentionally or unintentionally broken one or more of the Housepricecrash Forum Rules.

Please review the housepricecrash forum rules by following this link: XXXXXX

You appear to be in breach of the following rule/s: (Moderator copy and paste rule here)

In order for us to reinstate your posting rights you will need to take the folllowing action: (Moderator tells user what to do e.g. Reply to this message telling us which one username you would like to continue using)

Please note that this warning has been recorded against your account. Users who receive 3 or more warnings will be suspended permanently.

Thankyou,

The Moderators at Housepricecrash.co.uk

Something like that would be ideal to be honest. Keep the reprimands private and the praise public, that's what I reckon.

:)

or just make me a moderator :lol::lol:

or just make me a moderator :lol::lol:

Jeez Consa...you're confident! You just got let back in yesterday and now you want to be a moderator!!! :lol::lol: Is that because moderators can't ban other moderators? You're not planning on talking about magnets again are you? I've just worked it out actually: You reckon that if any of your topics get moved to off topic you'll be able to move them straight back again :lol: I can see right through you!

Am I missing something here?.

A troll is labelled as such when he posts articles in reponse to others disagreeing with their theory.

I have to say to many of the Bears here over the past few years, you got it wrong. Very Very Wrong!!!.

There has not been a crash, and there is not a crash today!!!.

Be more honest to yourselves and concede defeat.

The reality is that we will most likely see rises again this year, and in part of 2007.

How could people take you seriously if you continue to post for the next 18months saying its here when its not.

From what I see the VI's are those posting articles declaring a crash in their area. Property is selling in my Area in the South of England like hotcakes, you are kidding yourselves if you think differently.

But given the upsurge in demand, you can take some joy in knowing, it is not far off. 18months I reckon.

Guest consa

Jeez Consa...you're confident! You just got let back in yesterday and now you want to be a moderator!!! :lol::lol: Is that because moderators can't ban other moderators? You're not planning on talking about magnets again are you? I've just worked it out actually: You reckon that if any of your topics get moved to off topic you'll be able to move them straight back again :lol: I can see right through you!

damn!! sussed again :P

Could you pin some kind of smilie (troll looking) in front of the topic, then people could make

their own decision to post or not to post.

Guest consa

The crash will be visible in hindsight and when the stats are more evenly balanced, you don't seem to be able to grasp that.

The reality is that we will most likely see rises again this year, and in part of 2007.

Only through manipulated figures, when the FTB numbers go up we will see the falls in the stats.

Property is selling in my Area in the South of England like hotcakes, you are kidding yourselves if you think differently.

I doubt it, but which area are you in?

Am I missing something here?.

A troll is labelled as such when he posts articles in reponse to others disagreeing with their theory.

I have to say to many of the Bears here over the past few years, you got it wrong. Very Very Wrong!!!.

How could people take you seriously if you continue to post for the next 18months saying its here when its not.

From what I see the VI's are those posting articles declaring a crash in their area. Property is selling in my Area in the South of England like hotcakes, you are kidding yourselves if you think differently.

But given the upsurge in demand, you can take some joy in knowing, it is not far off. 18months I reckon.

Are we talking asking price or selling price? give us the coordinates?

Guest The_Oldie
You guys are getting paranoid.

No, not paranoid, we know who many of the VI trolls are.

People, such as yourself? with a commercial vested interest in keeping house prices high are attempting to disrupt and undermine the forums as they see us as a threat. You know it, we know it, end of story.

Guest The_Oldie
Perhaps we need a do not feel the trolls banner on the screen to serve as a constant reminder.

"Do not feel the trolls" :lol:

If you're an estate agent reading this - YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR JOB VERY SOON.

:o Really!!??

Let's assume for argument's sake a crash happens - you're expecting EVERY SINGLE ea office to go out of business?!!

I think that is a tad unrealistic.

Guest wrongmove

No, not paranoid, we know who many of the VI trolls are.

People, such as yourself? with a commercial vested interest in keeping house prices high are attempting to disrupt and undermine the forums as you see us as a threat. You know it, we know it, end of story.

Wow ! The_Oldie, are these VIs national organisations? It would seem a pointless for an independent EA, for example, to go to the bother - the number of posters from any catchment area would be tiny.

I can just imagine a board meeting at Countrywide discussing how thay are going to deal with the HPC.co.uk threat.

FO: "We need to discuss the outlook for interest rates. There are rumours that the next move will be up, not down. The whole world is raising rates. Aren't we living in a fool's paradise ?"

MD: "IRs! You want to talk about IRs? No, we need to discuss fundamentals. HPC.co.uk has 12 new members today. A hike in IRs just pales into insignificance against that."

FO: "12 new members ! You should have said earlier ! That's up by 9% MoM and 56% YoY !"

COE: "Is that seasonally adjusted ? These VIs always massage the figures."

Board members nod and smile sheepishly at each other.

MD: "So what's to be done then ? We need a trusted and experienced person to infiltrate and neutralise this threat to our very livelihoods. Take Pete off of market analysis, and tell him to troll HPC."

FD: "Buts Pete's on £40k, and we will have to add "hush money". (Imagine if the story ever got out!) There are about 100 people on HPC, whereas we could put an ad out during Coronation Street and speak to 10,000,000"

etc. etc

Or maybe its the FBI, CBI or MI5 ?

Am I alone in thinking this is a bit unlikely ? :)

Wow ! The_Oldie, are these VIs national organisations? It would seem a pointless for an independent EA, for example, to go to the bother - the number of posters from any catchment area would be tiny.

you seem to forget that the late unlamented zorn was posting from a rightmove IP address and hasn't logged on - and hasn't been back (as zorn at any rate) since he was "outed" in january

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23005

also funny that yourself and without a paddle are in and out of this thread - like files around a lump of sh1t <_<