House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

David Cameron - "your Mortgages Are Safe With Us"

David Cameron was just on television. "Your mortgages are safe with us." What about our future?

Billy Shears

Yes he said we wont gamble with your mortgages, what did he mean?

Guest growl

Did anyone see the George Osbourne response to the budget. Started off quite nice and ended making you feel very scared.

The Tories have Gordon on the run. There's going to be blood spilt in this economy. :o

We’ll have to wait to find out what he means. He makes it up as he goes along.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well said that man. :lol:

David Cameron was just on television. "Your mortgages are safe with us." What about our future?

Billy Shears

And they wonder why young people don't vote. None of the parties will tackle the housing bubble - it's political suicide.

That's the impression I get, best policy is to have none until you see the true state of affiairs when your time comes.

The way things are going they will be so bad I'm surprised at so many willing to take up the mantle, maybe it is the perks and the book contracts etc etc afterwards.

And they wonder why young people don't vote. None of the parties will tackle the housing bubble - it's political suicide.

...throughout the world, speculative real estate lending is a major source of economic instability. This type of lending gives rise to bubbles (the soaring of prices as investors clamor to reap the gain from the seeming boom in the sector); these bubbles always burst; and when they do, the economy crashes.

Joseph Stiglitz - Chief economist at the World Bank until January 2000. Before that he was Chairman of President Clintons council of Economics advisors. He is currently Professor of Finance and Economics at Columbia University.

He won the nobel prize for economics in 2001.

Best footer ever.. :)

Guest muttley

A reaction to GB changing interest rates to "mortgage rates" during his budget speech ??

That irritates me too!!

Gordon.."We have the lowest mortgage rates....."

Yes.We have the lowest saving rates too!!

Well said that man. :lol:

Yeah, at least Gordon set out his stall and stuck by it ... now what were his words ... something to do with housing as I recall .... ah yes it was:

"I will not preside over a housing boom"

People's touching faith in their side of the political divide makes me smile.

Edited by Marina

The Tories have a poor reputation wwith the economy. Last time they were in power they put up rates to 15%. Many people are(and should be ) scared of a return to the Tories.

The Tories have a poor reputation wwith the economy. Last time they were in power they put up rates to 15%. Many people are(and should be ) scared of a return to the Tories.

Nothing to do with joinging the ERM, running the economy on debt for a few years and rising rates worldwide, of course that could never happen to this lot.

Are you sure you are not a dumsunreader?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The savers loved them, they were the days of Caribbean holidays. :P Now you are lucky to get a week in Southend-on-Sea. :(

...throughout the world, speculative real estate lending is a major source of economic instability. This type of lending gives rise to bubbles (the soaring of prices as investors clamor to reap the gain from the seeming boom in the sector); these bubbles always burst; and when they do, the economy crashes.

Joseph Stiglitz - Chief economist at the World Bank until January 2000. Before that he was Chairman of President Clintons council of Economics advisors. He is currently Professor of Finance and Economics at Columbia University.

He won the nobel prize for economics in 2001.

Best footer ever.. :)

Thanks. ;)

Most people get their opinions on the housing market from estate agents, mortgage lenders, journalists, polititians, anonymous strangers on internet forums etc - but who can contradict someone with Joseph Stiglitz's credentials.

That irritates me too!!

Gordon.."We have the lowest mortgage rates....."

Yes.We have the lowest saving rates too!!

Low mortgage / interest rates were a key plank of John Howard's re-election platform in Australia. Even when the leader of the opposition signed a comedy "Newspaper Bingo Winner" sized pledge not to cause rates to rise, he was still taken to the cleaners at the polls (then again, he was also mad).

The Tories rate rollercoaster of the early 90s will be hard for the public to forget here in the UK just like it was for the electorate in Australia, although with it was a problem for the Labor Party over there.

So what would you prefer:

A government that rewards savers or borrowers?

The "Grey-Vote" is very powerful (because they actually bother to get out and vote) and most would lurve higher interest rates.

I well remember the Tories last sojourn in power, not least because of a couple of lengthy periods of unemployment. I reached the conclusion long ago that all political parties are shite and none of them know anything. That said, I've got a bit of money saved up and would be quite happy if interest rates hit 15% again.

Incidentally, if you're "nodumsunreader" why is it you can't spell "dumb" correctly?

They seem to be properly attacking Clowns economic policies. If they've done this at all in the last 9 years then I missed it. A welcome change. They need to drop the "Compassionate Conservative" waffle too. But the economic points that are being raised are very pertinent.

Wasn't impressed by Osbournes delivery - he needs to sharpen that up a lot. The content was (mostly) good though.