House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Have All The Reasoned Arguements Been Done Yet?

Have we discussed everything to death? I`ve been aware of this interesting environment for close on 2 years now, however, similar to Bubb, I`m becoming increasingly bored with the overall level and quality of debate. I`ve never been that prolific a poster, but I do wonder were we`re headed with this space now. There are changes afoot, they were never going to be in such black and white terms that anyone could point and say "There you go, told ya so, it`s crashing around us"

As has been pointed out ad nasueum any HPC (correction not crash) will be accompanied by the economy going tits up also, so those wishing for a huge crash see that happening in isolation, i.e. their jobs will be safe as economic armeggedon unwinds but they`re OK `cos they can finally climb onto the first rung, oh dear :(

Edited by Converted Lurker

economic armeggedon unwinds but they`re OK `cos they can finally climb onto the firstrung? Oh dear.

You realise you're spelling first rung like the website now :-)

Have we discussed everything to death? I`ve been aware of this interesting environment for close on 2 years now, however, similar to Bubb, I`m becoming increasingly bored with the overall level and quality of debate. I`ve never been that prolific a poster, but I do wonder were we`re headed with this space now. There are changes afoot, they were never going to be in such black and white terms that anyone could point and say "There you go, told ya so, it`s crashing around us"

As has been pointed out ad nasueum any HPC (correction not crash) will be accompanied by the economy going tits up also, so those wishing for a huge crash see that happening in isolation, i.e. their jobs will be safe as economic armeggedon unwinds but they`re OK `cos they can finally climb onto the firstrung? Oh dear.

This is the (boring) calm right before the storm.

As has been pointed out ad nasueum any HPC (correction not crash) will be accompanied by the economy going tits up also, so those wishing for a huge crash see that happening in isolation, i.e. their jobs will be safe as economic armeggedon unwinds but they`re OK `cos they can finally climb onto the firstrung? Oh dear.

As I posted on the smelly thread:

The pain of a recession is *temporary*, whereas the debt you take on by taking out a mortgage is significantly more permanent.

I don't believe for a second that my job is permanent. In fact, I would bet money on me being made redundant at least once in the next year (I've been given notice *five* times in the last 3.5 years, so kind of getting used to it), but I still think that what we need is a good recession. It might make it possible for everyone to get on with life and it will ultimately be good for the country.

It's boring because you're here every day.....like something is going to change overnight.

It's great to come here and absorb all the opinions but, FFS, you know the script. This will play out over years - poring over "this" press release or "that" documentary is going to get boring pretty quickly.

Go out.......forget about housing......

...bring down the government :ph34r:

2 years and nothing much has changed apart from those with balls have made more than a little cash that enables them to be financially independant.

The quality of the debate seems to fade whenever an opposing view is aired.

The economy may well be going tits up but, just as every other day in history, if you prepare there will be profits.

Stop moaning.

This is the (boring) calm right before the storm.

It has only been in about the last 2 weeks, following what looked to me like a troll pack passing through HPC Valley. Being of the mystic bent, I believe trolls as energetic vampires. I observe them pass over like a plague of psychic locusts, sucking all matter and energy (including thought energy, joy energy and goodwill) out of any terrain they feed upon, leaving behind only fragmented detris, the excretement of their own chaotic presence.

I am noticing in a couple of posters a curious and uncharacteristic sense of tireness, irritation and vacillating arugments that correspond to the sort of energetic rubbish I would expect the trolls to leave behind (personally I put garlic around my computer, send it love and blue light and sage it after I'm finished ;) ).

Now back to the concrete bits and bytes :P:lol:

I am noticing in a couple of posters a curious and uncharacteristic sense of tireness, irritation and vacillating arugments that correspond to the sort of energetic rubbish I would expect the trolls to leave behind

I like noplumbuneater...he's like Al Murray :rolleyes:

2 years and nothing much has changed apart from those with balls have made more than a little cash that enables them to be financially independant.

The quality of the debate seems to fade whenever an opposing view is aired.

The economy may well be going tits up but, just as every other day in history, if you prepare there will be profits.

Stop moaning.

Well I`ve made approx. 250K of equity in the past 2 years by doing very little except living in from where I`m posting and letting my infirmed bro in law live in my other property <_< Oh, and according to some very keen new media investors approx 1.25mil on an internet investment relating to property, if I let them have 40% ;) So moaning`s not my style. Crack on you loon :P

Edited by Converted Lurker

Waiting for a HPC is like waiting the paint dry or waiting for seeds to sprout - nothing happens whilst you're watching. But go out for the day and when you come back the paint is dry, the seeds have suddenly sprouted.

Mind you at least with watching paint dry you don't get a'holes saying "ha ha your paint isn't dry yet, you said it would dry" or "ha ha your paint isn't dry but mine is ha ha".

Waiting for a HPC is like waiting the paint dry or waiting for seeds to sprout - nothing happens whilst you're watching. But go out for the day and when you come back the paint is dry, the seeds have suddenly sprouted.

Mind you at least with watching paint dry you don't get a'holes saying "ha ha your paint isn't dry yet, you said it would dry" or "ha ha your paint isn't dry but mine is ha ha".

:P

Although if you started up "watchmypaintdry.com" you'd probably get the trolls in soon enough...

Just to try and brighten-up the glumful-gloominess of this thread - apart from the gloating bulls posts that is, Has anyone else notice the unusually disproportionate number of 'FOR SALES' to 'SOLDS'???

I visited my mother up in Leek, Staffordshire this week - and as I was driving around, noticed that for every SOLD sign - there were approximately 25 FOR SALES.

Is this normal at this time of the year?

Leek was quite slow for the property there to come into the 'boom' period. It is ridiculously high there now. However, many people there have had their houses on the market for a LONG time (a year or more) with few to no viewings.

Perhaps the one of the last places into the boom will be one of the first out of it?

Edited by wifeling-smi

i.e. their jobs will be safe as economic armeggedon unwinds but they`re OK `cos they can finally climb onto the first rung, oh dear :(

I like the way people assume that buying a house now will protect you from all that. :P

Or maybe you don't mean it will protect me from all that? In which case, what do people mean when they point out this USELESS fact? Why useless? Because it forms no part of any decision making process.

2 years and nothing much has changed

Wrong.

1990: 3 years of major bust

1993: 3 years of slowing bust

1996: 3 years of stagnation

1999: 3 years of recovery

2002: 3 years of undeniable ballistic rises

2005: 15 months of "stagnation" some mild falls in some areas, some mild rises, daily information and misinformation, fights breaking out, desperation amongst bulls, impatience amongst bears.

Nothing much has changed, huh?

:blink:

:lol:

It'd probably be pro-wallpapering trolls saying how you should of put wallpaper up instead of paint.

:P

Or how you can never go wrong with a nice bit of woodchip

I've only been coming here a month, and it's fairly obvious why this site exists. It's a forum for like-minded individuals who believe that a house price crash is going to occur in the near future. Thats why they visit a website with a URL like www.housepricecrash.co.uk. They may have various reasons for being here, such as being a frustrated FTB, impatient STR, etc etc etc. It's pleasant to coverse with like minded people, and read related material. That's why I come here.

The only real question is the motivation others come here to troll and express their frustration at the opinions of the group above?. Is it corporate vested interests, like that guy 'Zorn' who posted from Rightmove's domain? Or is it just individuals, no names mentioned, who just seem to be frustrated that others have the temerity, the chutzpah, to question their lemming-like instincts. Then they whine that they are being flamed in return.

In short, why don't they go and start a site at www.everythingisrosyinukproperty.co.uk or www.housesandtulipsalwaysgoup.co.uk.

Then we could go and troll there. :P

I've only been coming here a month, and it's fairly obvious why this site exists. It's a forum for like-minded individuals who believe that a house price crash is going to occur in the near future. Thats why they visit a website with a URL like www.housepricecrash.co.uk. They may have various reasons for being here, such as being a frustrated FTB, impatient STR, etc etc etc. It's pleasant to coverse with like minded people, and read related material. That's why I come here.

The only real question is the motivation others come here to troll and express their frustration at the opinions of the group above?. Is it corporate vested interests, like that guy 'Zorn' who posted from Rightmove's domain? Or is it just individuals, no names mentioned, who just seem to be frustrated that others have the temerity, the chutzpah, to question their lemming-like instincts. Then they whine that they are being flamed in return.

In short, why don't they go and start a site at www.everythingisrosyinukproperty.co.uk or www.housesandtulipsalwaysgoup.co.uk.

Then we could go and troll there. :P

For some of us the hope was for debate about how/when/where a HPC/correction would occur, and to discover what is happening in other areas of UK. It is also great for getting all the latest news together in one place. But If "evidence" suggests at this moment that an area where someone lives/has knowledge of is not crashing i.e. City "favoured" areas of London, then what is wrong with them questioning the doom and gloom scenario painted by some on this site.

From home page: We have 3,851 registered members

Most users ever online was 827 on Feb 28 2006, 12:27 PM.

Less than 4000 people......do you not question why this figure is so low? Even veteran members no longer seem to post? And have posted the reasons why. If everyone is saying "Yes" then this forum becomes a cult................. and IMHO looses much credibility.

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

For some of us the hope was for debate about how/when/where a HPC/correction would occur, and to discover what is happening in other areas of UK. It is also great for getting all the latest news together in one place. But If "evidence" suggests at this moment that an area where someone lives/has knowledge of is not crashing i.e. City "favoured" areas of London, then what is wrong with them questioning the doom and gloom scenario painted by some on this site.

From home page: We have 3,851 registered members

Most users ever online was 827 on Feb 28 2006, 12:27 PM.

Less than 4000 people......do you not question why this figure is so low? Even veteran members no longer seem to post? And have posted the reasons why. If everyone is saying "Yes" then this forum becomes a cult................. and IMHO looses much credibility.

I see what you mean. There is nothing wrong with questioning opinions, I was referring to those who are outright trolls. What is their motivation?

I'm not surprised that there are less than 4000 registered users - this site represents a minority view. It also does not surprise me that the peak users online was relatively recent. As we edge nearer the precipice - wherever that is - more and more people will come here. Once we are over it the webmaster may have to upgrade their server to cope with the hits from users old and new.

As another poster here has pointed out, once the crash happens it will be seen as the most inevitable thing in history.

Edited by tahoma

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Even veteran members no longer seem to post? And have posted the reasons why.

The forum is moving so fast now with threads dropping quickly and it is easy to miss some of the excellent veteran`s posting. Unless you are online browsing 24/7 they are easily missed. I know many who feel they have made their position clear and there is no point in repetition. When I miss my favourite posters I as a rule check posts from their profile options and indeed I find I have missed some excellent posts.

Here is a post I have just found from surveyor, the bold text and colouring is mine.

surveyor Posted on: Feb 22 2006, 03:24 PM

I've had to stray out of my area a bit to help another office (Putney). Speaking to local agents about flats, they say that they haven't got enough properties to satisfy demand, and 2 bed flats under £250k are disappearing fast. In fact they weren't happy because they said supply was drying up.

One agent said their applicant list has doubled in the past 6 weeks. Another said there are lots of ftbs letting out a room and many strs returning to the market. Also people fed up renting.

I said I couldn't understand the upturn this year, but they said the media influence was pushing people to jump. OK, Putney is a popular area and a high value one too, but I'm at a loss to explain this surge. At the same time, I'm doing a repo every other day. Answers on a postcard please........!