House Price Crash Forum
right_freds_dead

Times Are A De-masculisation Changing.

was out today trying to buy a fancy shirt as i have to have a recce into town for a bingedrink fest next friday. i dont want to go, but i am supposed to now go 'find a girlfriend' and apparantley going to one of these so called 'regional nightclubs' will do the trick. i hope to discuss bone definition as well as nanobots with a quiet kind of girl disco goer over a mulled baileys within a cosy cove of this nightclub. so with that in mind i went to 3 shops in chorley. one was expensive, the next lesser so and the third was burtons. have i got old quick or what ? i felt 37 going on 53. it was all clothers for tarts. like my mates sister from 1989 would have worn. she was a cool and trendy hair dresser type. streaks for the girls and wedges or curtains for the lads she'd date.

i looked in the windows. noticed straight away all the stuff was now totally girly. patches, paint splatters. sown up rips. really silly. pink and fluffy shirts with extra bits sown onto them. all the stock was as girly. flabouyant sprung to mind. it was like being passed the pink bannana nut boat from elton john at a george michael party. circa 1983

i was left thinking:

what if 1970s man could see this.? remember him. that broad shouldered budgie jacketed manual worker with the hogwarts boots and yellow laing hat. british rail mutton chop sideboards and a family of 3. he was tough enough to unionise and occuplied an affordable place within the country he was born into. he took his weekly pay packet to british home stores and wore simple farrahs and a white open shirt and white shoes for clubbing with the yorkshire ripper. simple wholesome stuff. vests were common place. moustaches. underpants didnt matter. brown and cream, paisley. again. it didnt matter. what mattered was he was male. one half of the required formula for life progression. not blundle-male.

if he was at burtons today eating a pie and talking about last nights thats life, he would have thrown a fit. the christina auguilliarea backing music. the moose-t clothing options. the pinks. the pete o'doherty fake cigerettes. he would have wrapped a knitted leeds scarf around his wrist and laid into the nearest queen fans. or perhaps smash up a Mk 3 rail carriage. and buffet car. he may have stole the nearest set of cowhorn handlebars and jimmey'd a cigerette machine for 10 No6..

i think partly to blame for this outrage in housing has been the recent de-masculination of the males. they are now like women. brainwashed spending women. following the latest fads. with as much preening (male grooming products like creams) glossy magazines full of made models. girly clothes and manbags. they are more likely to skip to a tube stop with a tub of home prepared pasta salad that scream out of a foggy morning house driveway, clutching a sunblest bacon butty and the chrome lined steering wheeel of a gold painted mark 4 cortina. no alarm. no steering lock. not even locked.

todays new generation of males wont stand up for any sort of reality. they attempt live like the cover of loaded. or so they thing. with the addition of they all live with mum and have fish fingers for tea, but have to wash up and tidy their room once in a while not bad for 32. wages for some part time job at wh smiths. enough to keep going out and buying girly tat and getting credit cards approved. like drones.

serve that up to 1970s man, he would have called a general walk out and you might have seen him fight some 'bobbies' dressed in heavy longcoats, before being punched into the side of an old commer van. it would have been on nationwide for us all to see on our brown cabinet tellys.

nowadays it all about trying to be like mcfly. ask them if 175k is ok for a 3 bed semi and they say, well i dunno. i suppose. and the cycle stagnates for 15 years.

:lol: not bad fred.

I often ponder about this. You see these young lads walking around with their expensive haircuts and effeminite clothing, that no doubt they have to change every few weeks, and wonder what is happening.

I too was on a shopping trip and walked into River Island which I used to find some good stuff in. It's all lemon stripe this and pink stripe that, and the shoes are just a joke! I thought, "if I bought this I'd look like those little oiks". I surmised I am in fact "old" now.

Don't worry about it. Just go along to that nightclub with yer 70s clobber and you'll be beating them off with a sh!tty fondue stick. Girls love an individual.

NDL

Fred - you write the best rants. Time to watch those downloaded Life on Mars eps again, eh?

The 70s were cool - mostly because I was a kid during them. Your rant reminded me of a conversation I had with a lass at work. Her BF has more shoes (all trainers) than her and is always pressurising her to buy clothes she doesn't really want when out shopping. There's been a 180 degree shift in gender roles there I reckon.

Male preening's nothing new though. Check out the Bird of Paradise on Attenborough's latest eye candy. And even in the human species - dandys have been around a while.

Edited by greencat

now i dont mind dandy, or flambouyant. but camp has it case which needs to be presented by the right individuals. remember this was chorley. previous home to stella party crashers, nose busters and market stall theives. people here tuck their tracksuit bottoms into their socks.

1970s is getting cooler now its got cold. all my mates old furniture is now sort of it and chic. yet it was recently the motleyest collection of aunts sifa. 224 plates and four square orange cushions. life on mars was close, but i couldnt help but laugh how they attempted to get that manchester orange bus in every outside shot. enough with the bus already...and cue bus. action.....action bus....

maybe ill report a post night out rant.

perhaps ill meet a similar girl who like the things i do. but without all the credit. i hope shes not a seasoned fighter like jane couch...(gulps)

Most of the blokes I see out are all wearing patched/ripped jeans and all have messy hair (longer at back and sides - and usually dyed or streaked). Makes me laugh!!! :lol:

Bang on Fred! Great post. You can't get a decent shirt anymore that doesn't look like a bloody deck-chair cover. And whilst I'm at it, WTF is Nivea For Men all about?

I was in Boots the other day picking up some shampoo (Vosene .... been using it since I was a kid, just like my dad :D) and I saw a guy deliberating over which shampoo he was gonna get ..... I watched him ask staff about the benefits of each brand and describe in detail his hair and its "issues" ...... I felt like shooting him !!!

When I was in school we would have called most of the male population of the UK at present ..... fags !!!

Maybe its the growing acceptance and media "coolness" of gay men that is also another driving force behind all this ???

I was in Boots the other day picking up some shampoo (Vosene .... been using it since I was a kid, just like my dad :D) and I saw a guy deliberating over which shampoo he was gonna get ..... I watched him ask staff about the benefits of each brand and describe in detail his hair and its "issues" ...... I felt like shooting him !!!

When I was in school we would have called most of the male population of the UK at present ..... fags !!!

Maybe its the growing acceptance and media "coolness" of gay men that is also another driving force behind all this ???

Well if it is to do with an acceptance of gay people then i for one dont object . I dont think it is though, its just trends, ive seen some things in the name of fashion that still make me smile now, shaving and eyebrow, shaving patches randomly into ya hair etc.

We are losing our mascalinity as compared to the olden day war time hero's, or cowboys of old, coal miners etc, we are becomming 'softer', but i wonder what was said with each periodic step in humanity like cave man to modern man - have we lost our mascalinity or have we evoled into more civilized people.

When the hardships in everday life are removed then you dont need to be as tough.

That being said, your mascalinity is yours, it cannot be taken from you, to lose it you give it up in exchange for something else but it cannot be taken. I've never been a trend setter, i wear what i want to wear, i act in a way that suits me, if people dont like it them its tough sh*t for them.

I came up with a few life motto's someyears back, one of which was....

Be what you be nothing more and never anything less.

Guest Winners and Losers

i was left thinking:

what if 1970s man could see this.? remember him. that broad shouldered budgie jacketed manual worker with the hogwarts boots and yellow laing hat. british rail mutton chop sideboards and a family of 3. he was tough enough to unionise and occuplied an affordable place within the country he was born into. he took his weekly pay packet to british home stores and wore simple farrahs and a white open shirt and white shoes for clubbing with the yorkshire ripper. simple wholesome stuff. vests were common place. moustaches. underpants didnt matter. brown and cream, paisley. again. it didnt matter. what mattered was he was male. one half of the required formula for life progression. not blundle-male.

serve that up to 1970s man, he would have called a general walk out and you might have seen him fight some 'bobbies' dressed in heavy longcoats, before being punched into the side of an old commer van. it would have been on nationwide for us all to see on our brown cabinet tellys.

Bring him back! Us gals love a real man. Mr WAL - 10 years as a para with the British Army. Hard as nails mans man. Sooo sexy! Before I married Mr WAL I went out with a couple of guys who would literally freak out if they got a bit of dirt on their hands. Give me a real man anyday, who would a least stand a chance of coming out at the better end of a punch up (not that I condone that sort of behaviour of course), but I like to know my man can handle himself - I aint no man's mother. That said, I think I'm starting to fancy Fred. ;):unsure:

Top post - perfumed oiks in hangy-out shirts, gelled hair and a cowboy walk tend to frequent Brighton far too frequently for my liking. Chances are they wouldn't know what a comma is let alone a Commer - mine fell apart from rust like most of them did. For the uninitiated, they look like this..

CommerCoaster.jpg

post-1212-1143185749.jpg

Edited by Badger

I had a rant about this a while ago (not on here) - I went shopping for jeans and was amazed at the amount of crap involving alsorts of stupid little fussy bits of add-on zips, patches, fake rips etc. I just couldn't get over how it was all pre-customised, but, and this is the really stupid bit, because it was mass-produced, it was all pre-customised the same way. So not very custom at all, really. Bloody idiotic, and not the kind of style I like at all.

Currently I am wearing an extremely plain T-shirt, a pair of them trousers with 15 gajillion pockets (very handy) and a huge pair of boots. In the office. And my hair is only messy because it desperately needs cutting. And if that isn't stylish enough for today, then I couldn't care less.

I have noticed how gay everything has got these days. I noticed it particularly with shoes last year where I struggled to find anything even slightly non-gay. I expect I'll have more difficulty again this year... Maybe I should've bought a few pairs last year just incase.

(Yes, I do have a problem with homosexuality before anyone asks. I didn't come here to be PC)

an apposite article from today's Times ;)

-----------------------------------

The gentle decline of manliness

Gerard Baker

Why don’t men ask for directions? Why are DIY companies sliding? Is there a link?

GORDON BROWN doesn’t seem to have much of it. George Bush certainly thinks he has it but there’s something ever so slightly ersatz about it. Tony Blair has acquired it. David Cameron probably has it in spades but is trying hard to pretend that he doesn’t. Margaret Thatcher had more of it than any recent leader on either side of the Atlantic. Hillary Clinton is loaded with it. John Wayne epitomised it but almost no leading Hollywood male star today has it, with the possible exception of Mel Gibson. It goes without saying that the courageous men who rescued three hostages in Iraq yesterday had it in spades; I’m less sure about the men they rescued.

“It” is manliness. The combination of psychological, emotional and mental characteristics that traditionally defined what it was to be male.

It would be wrong to infer from the list above that manliness is necessarily and always a virtue. The firefighters and police who rescued people from the collapsing towers on September 11 had it, but so too did the terrorists who flew the planes into the buildings, demonstrating that a surfeit of manliness, or manliness applied in the wrong cause, can be deeply immoral.

But good or bad, manliness as the fundamental, defining characteristic of human sexual distinction exists, and one of the largest problems with our modern feminised society is that we have tried very hard to suppress it.That at least is the view of Harvey Mansfield, the Harvard philosopher. Professor Mansfield has caused quite a stir in American literary and sociological circles in the last week or two with a new book, called, simply enough, Manliness.

Mansfield, a provocative conservative, bemoans what he calls our “gender-neutral society”. He says the feminist movement has over the past 40 years largely succeeded in demonising manliness. It is blamed for the evil of inequality, as well as the ills of war, crime and violence. It is virtually forbidden to use the term in polite conversation today, it having been replaced by the more neutral “masculinity”. As illustration, Mansfield cites a recent conversation he had with a journalist. He was asked to give the reporter a quote about a colleague who was receiving some honour. “What impressed all of us about him was his manliness,” he said. After an embarrassed silence, the female voice asked: “Could you think of another word?”

Mansfield argues that in pursuit of the gender-neutral society we have inverted human reality by claiming that manliness is no more than a confected, post-hoc justification for man’s domination of woman over millenniums of existence. There is no real gender-specific quality, they say, just a stereotype of manliness that justifies men giving themselves the best jobs, the highest pay, the most power.

But he thinks this is nonsense. In a book that is replete with scientific and cultural allusions, he explains how manliness is an inextinguishable trait, found principally, but not exclusively, in men. Real men, from Achilles to Theodore Roosevelt to Gary Cooper in High Noon, demand our attention not by their sensitivity or even their reason, but by their manliness.

So what is manliness? In Mansfield’s view it is “confidence in the face of risk”, an “easy assumption of authority”. Manliness seeks drama and prefers times of war, conflict and danger. It is certainly not all benign; and it is irrational, of course: the gender-neutral society is the product of the triumph of arid reasoning over instinct.

Manliness is related, he says, to the quality of man that the Greeks called thumos, roughly translated as “animal spiritedness”. The Greeks understood well that too much untrammelled thumos could be as destabilising to society as too little. So they sought to balance it with the virtues of reason and self-control. But, thanks to nihilistic manliness as exemplified by men like Nietzsche (and perhaps by extension the Nazis) the modern world steadily turned its back on this idea and instead trapped the thumos in a web of gender-equal reasoning.

Yet, despite the steady emasculation of today’s male, manliness remains a characteristic embedded in the modern male personality. It has been blurred but not eliminated. It is the reason men still drive trucks and fighter planes. It is why men refuse to ask for directions when they are lost.

The danger in our modern society, in Mansfield’s view, is that of unemployed manliness. Manly man has been replaced by the bourgeois. Men who behave according to the norms of this new society are accorded the highest honour: they are deemed professional. Manly behaviour at work, the failure to resist the occasional impulse to punch someone, is regarded as the ultimate sin: “unprofessional”. If we try to eliminate manliness we risk a dangerous imbalance: a society that loses its capacity to protect, defend and even to regenerate itself.

I couldn’t help but notice, while reading Mansfield’s persuasive book this week, that B&Q, Europe’s biggest DIY store, announced a sharp fall in its UK profits, and that MFI is closing 11 stores and pulling out of the bathroom market. Other companies, such as Homebase and Wickes, have reported declining business too. City analysts attribute the difficulties to declining interest in home “makeovers” but I think they may owe just a little too to the declining appeal of the spanner-wielding guy with the irresistible urge to make something big.

Now, where’s my hammer? I feel the need to go out and hit a nail into a piece of timber before my wife comes home and wants to know why I haven’t changed the baby’s nappy.

was out today trying to buy a fancy shirt as i have to have a recce into town for a bingedrink fest next friday. i dont want to go, but i am supposed to now go 'find a girlfriend' and apparantley going to one of these so called 'regional nightclubs' will do the trick. i hope to discuss bone definition as well as nanobots with a quiet kind of girl disco goer over a mulled baileys within a cosy cove of this nightclub. so with that in mind i went to 3 shops in chorley. one was expensive, the next lesser so and the third was burtons. have i got old quick or what ? i felt 37 going on 53. it was all clothers for tarts. like my mates sister from 1989 would have worn. she was a cool and trendy hair dresser type. streaks for the girls and wedges or curtains for the lads she'd date.

i looked in the windows. noticed straight away all the stuff was now totally girly. patches, paint splatters. sown up rips. really silly. pink and fluffy shirts with extra bits sown onto them. all the stock was as girly. flabouyant sprung to mind. it was like being passed the pink bannana nut boat from elton john at a george michael party. circa 1983

i was left thinking:

if he was at burtons today eating a pie and talking about last nights thats life, he would have thrown a fit. the christina auguilliarea backing music. the moose-t clothing options. the pinks. the pete o'doherty fake cigerettes. he would have wrapped a knitted leeds scarf around his wrist and laid into the nearest queen fans. or perhaps smash up a Mk 3 rail carriage. and buffet car. he may have stole the nearest set of cowhorn handlebars and jimmey'd a cigerette machine for 10 No6..

i think partly to blame for this outrage in housing has been the recent de-masculination of the males. they are now like women. brainwashed spending women. following the latest fads. with as much preening (male grooming products like creams) glossy magazines full of made models. girly clothes and manbags. they are more likely to skip to a tube stop with a tub of home prepared pasta salad that scream out of a foggy morning house driveway, clutching a sunblest bacon butty and the chrome lined steering wheeel of a gold painted mark 4 cortina. no alarm. no steering lock. not even locked.

todays new generation of males wont stand up for any sort of reality. they attempt live like the cover of loaded. or so they thing. with the addition of they all live with mum and have fish fingers for tea, but have to wash up and tidy their room once in a while not bad for 32. wages for some part time job at wh smiths. enough to keep going out and buying girly tat and getting credit cards approved. like drones.

nowadays it all about trying to be like mcfly. ask them if 175k is ok for a 3 bed semi and they say, well i dunno. i suppose. and the cycle stagnates for 15 years.

Just because you can't get a woman doesn't mean the world's gone gay.

:) Have you seen the clothes that Next is intending to flog this Summer for men? Hilarious IMPO. Having hasd a winter of jeans with holes in them or which look as if you have had oil poured over them they now seem to have gone for, well, I can't make it out. Perhaps a good time to sell those Next shares?

Proudly I haven't shampoo'd my hair for 13 years now.

'Frequent use shampoo' - think about it. So it doesn't work then eh!! or it wouldn't have to be frequent.

Proudly I haven't shampoo'd my hair for 13 years now.

'Frequent use shampoo' - think about it. So it doesn't work then eh!! or it wouldn't have to be frequent.

I havent shampooed my hair for about 8 years, a bar of soap works just aswell :)

I havent shampooed my hair for about 8 years, a bar of soap works just aswell :)

or cheapo washing up liquid...

on a slightly different tack, I bought a set of hair clippers for £15 around 10 years ago, and haven't been to the barbers since. Reckon it's saved me well over £1000 in that time.

TLM

I think it's the Women that wear the trousers these days and if you want to sell anything they are the target audience. For instance have you noticed how butterflys are used on everything - they flutter around on websites, they appear on album covers, in shop windows, magazines - how twee!. Welcome to the World of feminine marketing :(

I agree, loads of "men" my age (22) are one episode of desperate housewives away from being a woman.

Here's some tips you effeminite (sp?) poofs;

Lose the sticky-up mullety hair. You look like a qunt.

Stop wearing the same clothes as everybody else. You know, the silly t-shirts at 50 quid a throw from some poncey shop that you think is cool. It's not cool when everyone does it.

Get the clippers out, number 1 for your hair. Then start powerlifting. No, that does not mean join a health club, sit in a machine and pretend you are working out, then going and sitting in the sauna for 3 hours. It means getting a bar, some plates, a power rack, and squatting, deadlifting, bench pressing, and other proper lifts (yes, lifts) - and generally not being a ponce.

Carry on.