House Price Crash Forum

Is Reality Hitting Home?

Annie, I am not here to gloat at all. I have been involved in property for well over a decade and am merely trying to show things from my perspective.

Firstly, yes, there are lots of properties that are well, well overpriced and do (and will) need to be readjusted down.

I agree with this BUT, it will not pan out the same accross the whole market, to the same degree and at the same time.

This is my main gripe with this site. There are a lot of undoubtedly switched on posters on here but their views seem to me to be very black and white, all or nothing. The property market is not like that.

Yes there was a 'crash' back in the early 90's. Yes, prices did fall. Yes, people were left with negative equity.

But not all people were affected to the same degree (if at all) accross the UK and at the same time.

So you want an affordable property.

I live in Birmingham. One of the nicest, most popular areas is Harborne, B17. A 2/3 bed terraced will cost you -http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6494767.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy for a central property or - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-107...a_n=16&tr_t=buy if you move 1/2 ish out from center.

So all those FTB's that want to live in Harborne are stuck and can't afford to buy a house.

How about moving a little bit further out (and no, the area is not like the Bronx, not as nice as central Harborne, but still good).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-104...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy (this probably sold for more than this but less than £85,000 ish)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-580...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-586...pa_n=4&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-103...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-445...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy

Not as cheap as they used to be but all decent homes in decent areas

I know Birmingham very well - the houses you have highlighted are in rough areas and many are on council estates. 100k might sound cheap but your not getting much for your money IMHO

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know Birmingham well do you.

On council estates eh?

Property 1 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 2 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 3 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 4 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 5 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Keep up the good work.

:D:D:D

Know Birmingham well do you.

On council estates eh?

Property 1 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 2 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 3 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 4 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Property 5 - rough area and council estate - WRONG

Keep up the good work.

I don't know Birmingham at all. If I was thinking of buying a house in an area I didn't know, I would start with a little research. UpMyStreet is usually a good place to start. I picked Property 2 at random - Alwold Road (B29 5JA).

Here's a little of what it says.

"These are poor families in low-rise estates.

The estates are home to nearly as many single parents as traditional two parent families. There are many school age children and families are larger than average. There are also some couples whose children have left home. Housing is usually in the form of low-rise council terraces, perhaps with three bedrooms, but still crowded for the size of family.

To be earning anything approaching an average income is rare. Long-term unemployment is high, and employment is routine factory or manual work"

Here's the link

Sounds a little rough and councilly to me.

I don't know Birmingham at all. If I was thinking of buying a house in an area I didn't know, I would start with a little research. UpMyStreet is usually a good place to start. I picked Property 2 at random - Alwold Road (B29 5JA).

Here's a little of what it says.

"These are poor families in low-rise estates.

The estates are home to nearly as many single parents as traditional two parent families. There are many school age children and families are larger than average. There are also some couples whose children have left home. Housing is usually in the form of low-rise council terraces, perhaps with three bedrooms, but still crowded for the size of family.

To be earning anything approaching an average income is rare. Long-term unemployment is high, and employment is routine factory or manual work"

Here's the link

Sounds a little rough and councilly to me.

Thanks for backing me up! I do know Birmingham well and they are rough and I was also brought up on a council estate so I should know what a council house looks like! LookingAfterTheKid - get a life! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well it`s not our fault you aint earning any money, can`t you claim unemployment benefit.

or get a proper job, you know get a job and stop trying to make a living of other peoples misfortune.

We all work hard, we all slug our guts out to earn money, so we all have the right to be able to buy a house.

Personally its about time the government stepped in and stopped poeple buying mutiple properties. Yes only a select few have the right to drive the flashy sports cars if they can afford it, but the right to own your home should be one that every person that works and pays taxes should have.

Thankfully times are changing and house prices are no longer rising, despite the bull that naitonwide and others come out with. I have been following the hosuing market in my area and in the past 18 months prices have not risen at all, in fact they have slightly fallen.

I keep many of the local house property papers, from way back so know how the prices are behaving.

so all you "buy to let" loosers, your loosing out now, and its about time.

Thanks for backing me up! I do know Birmingham well and they are rough and I was also brought up on a council estate so I should know what a council house looks like! LookingAfterTheKid - get a life! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well done for being working class.

So was I BUT, the difference between yow and me is that I do not judge.

Where I was brought up is now 95% owner occupier and smart to boot but I still see loads of the older people that helped bring me up..

The area that you are passing judgement on is ex council but not that bad at all.

The problem with the UK, and we are not just talking the housing market, is that over the past decade, people have begun thinking they are more than they actually are because thay have a bigger car (on the drip) than their pals and they have a bigger house (on the drip) than their pals.

What everyone is forgetting is that cash in pocket, they are not that better off and when the carnival ends and the shit hits the fan, loads will be wearing pampers to stem the flow.

Anyway, don't try to tell me where is good and bad in Brum. Bet you were brought up in Tormotontosnopitty

Edited by lookingafterthekids

The fact of the matter is that people are drawn to this website because property is, in the eyes of many, too expensive

I don't know why 'lookingafterthekids' is on here other than to act as a catalyst (boost property prices?/boost self esteem?)

I wouldn't pay £80K for a house nevermind £120K for one now...

Edited by dnd

I dont have a winking arm?

I'm on here because I like to post my opinions and disagree totally with the blinkered and unbelievably narrow minded views of many posters.

The only reason that many others are on here is to try to confirm to themselves on a daily basis what a terrible world we live in and how black everything is.

I have never in my life come accross such a negative bunch.

The post was originally started to point out that the much hyped and anticipated crash is not yet with us despite the spin pumped out by this site.

So where is it?

When will it happen?

What % falls will we get?

Where?

It appears that although you can produce endless economic data to prove this and that, you cannot answer the above basic questions.

Also, when and if the crash happens and even in the run up to it, will house sales one day just stop dead and stay that way until everyone decides that prices are back on track? Course they will.

Although I can fully understand why many on this site would want prices to drop, what I cannot understand is the negativity, bitterness and presumed superiority of many people who post on here.

Dnd, you would'nt pay £80,000 for a house let alone £120,000 now. Fine. But why are YOU here. You will never buy a house, so should have no interest in the market so should not really be interested in this site. Or are you just bored? Or need to boost your self esteem? :blink:

Keep watching, you really are amusing you mug.

Keep up the good work.

:D

Guest The_Oldie

I have never in my life come accross such a negative bunch.

Or positive depending on your point of view.

I'm on here because I like to post my opinions and disagree totally with the blinkered and unbelievably narrow minded views of many posters.

It does seem like your main purpose in posting here is to wind people up.

Guest The_Oldie

I post as I disagree with many of the points raised and, as this is a discussion board, provide my views for further discussion.

Exactly, you post here to wind people up.

Guest The_Oldie

Opposing views shouldn't really wind you up.

Make you think but you should be old enough not to get wound up.

Funny, really, really funny :D

There you go, twisting words again, just like a troll.

Question - did anyone here really notice the 92" recession? Did it affect you day to day life.

Not really but 15% interest rates were definitely a PITA!

I bet it didnt if

1) You had little debt or borrowing

Correct

2) You did not live beyond your means

Correct

3) You had a few brain cells.

I like to think so ;)

Guest The_Oldie

Sorry. Good try but as usual - wrong. :D

Keep up the good work.

:D:D

Tell you what undersupply, why don't you post the details of properties you lie awake at night wishing you had bought but never quite felt 'right' about them.

Keep up the good work.

My oh my oh my.

You lot are a lot, lot sadder than I had ever dreamed.

No wonder you miss opportunities.

:blink:

Keep watching, you really are amusing you mug.

Keep up the good work.

:D

Really, really funny. :D:D

Just like a child, taunting in the school playground.

If you insist in behaving like a troll, you will be treated like a troll.

Just like a child, taunting in the school playground.

If you insist in behaving like a troll, you will be treated like a troll.

Hmmmm his/her return salvo has failed to appear over the HPC trench.....methinks he/she gets the message. Ten's years in property involvment WOOW a veritable expert..................... :rolleyes:

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

- unknown

Guest The_Oldie
Text removed as there was some suggestion that it could have been used to trace lookingafterthekids email address, even though the email address was blanked out with **********.

I found a post that you made a couple of years ago on another forum. The last line indicates that you are probably an Estate Agent.

Guest consa
"You lot are a lot, lot sadder than I had ever dreamed."

"You lot really are set in your ways and blinkered."

"Your sad and bitter and make me laugh with your lemon sucking, sad, sad ways."

"You really are a fox hunt"

"You HPC people really are edgy and aggressive. Lots of swearing too?"

"What it really means is that we could disprove your bolloc* of a theory quite easily"

"Get a life you k*ob"

"Take it on the chin fool"

"No, I meant black clothes. Never known such a miserable bunch!"

"Now stop your whining and get to bed."

"You guys do make me chuckle."

"But is this not a "discussion" board. A lot of things I read on here bug the sh*t out of me but I do not resort to personal insults."

"And, I can stay up as I work from home when I need to which isnt too often."

"Never. I prefer being out there earning a wage by using my wits and not whinging about how bad things are or will become"

"That's me outta here"

"the amount of cr*p spouted on here would win awards for the windbag & buffoon of 2006."

"I have never tried to take the piss, only offer the view from my backyard"

"Just as all tenants are dope smoking, red stripe swilling s**t arsed losers."

"Kids love me because I spend all my time with them instead of working like a mug"

"I try to offer valid points and arguments rather than coming here saying "tour all wrong losers"

"Do keep up boy. I know you probably find it hard to read through your HPC tears, but at least try."

"I on the other hand am merely responding in a logical and balanced manner to what I see as ill informed posts."

"You lot really haven't got a clue have you?"

"If your not adult enough to make a coinstructive counter argument, ignore the post or both without getting angry that the views differ from your own then you need to grow up."

I know, lets play a little game called spot the insults/contradictions/wind ups or spot the rsole :)

Edited by consa