House Price Crash Forum

Is Reality Hitting Home?

Yes your right, I'm really angry.

My last sale completed 3 days late, for £500 under the asking price and I had to deal with the whole thing myself as I saved £1,000's by not using an agent.

Can't wait for kickboxing tommorrow. The bags had it........

Oh wow, lookingafterthekids is a chip off the old TTRTR block. It's kinda cute actually. :lol:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lot had your chance and blew it. Sentiment was beginning to turn negative, but you sat on your behinds and posted furiously on this forum - instead of getting into the mainstream media and letting people know you were angry at being priced out of home ownership.

You are reaping what you have sown.

I'm shocked somewhat by this, Marina.

Many of us FTBs didn't have our chance - we have more on our plate to bother about nipping over to Berkshire to buy a flat at 6x our salary.

"We", in my experience, have just got on working and waiting for a reasonable break in the property stakes. A supposed 15% dip when property is still grossly over-valued, student loans are still having an impact, and more important considerations like having children are foremost, is not going to make much difference.

I got two letters in the MSM media, I "let them know" about our plight, and for what? Nothing. The mainstream political parties are more concerned about chucking money at the NHS or "education".

Consider this for "reaping what you have sown" - a nation allows the situation to arise where either renting or owning a home is ridiculously expensive, forcing his young people to delay having families, take on crippling debts, or leave the country altogether. What will that nation reap?

You lot had your chance and blew it. Sentiment was beginning to turn negative, but you sat on your behinds and posted furiously on this forum - instead of getting into the mainstream media and letting people know you were angry at being priced out of home ownership.

Maybe the mainstream media are already here. Maybe they have already observed the furious scratchings and screamings of the VIs and their paid media monitors as they try to reverse the inevitable.

Maybe HPC has succeeded to such an extent, that it is actually causing a turn in the market?

Hence the death rattle of HPI that can be read in some of the recent posts on this site.

Even the Nationwide expects price drops this year.

The chaff is being sorted from the wheat.

Who'd like their photo in the paper with a caption that says "I was just doing my job/ only following orders"

Get the brylcreem out ;)

Econmic theory and doom mongering aside.

Where is the house price crash? Where is cruise crash speed?

Despite your need for a HPC, it hasn't happened yet and despite the fact that I think prices will fall in 2006, I'm afraid to say that I think your house price christmas day may be a long time coming.

Why are you all bothering to answer this type of thing. Look at how many replies he's had!

Two things spring immediately to mind:

1. This kind of post never used to happen until now. Yes, we've had our trolls, but this is different, this is an onslaught. They're not even disguising the fact. So why is it happening now? Think about it. The VI's (and of course this one is an estate agent!) are getting desperate. They know we are starting to get publicity and that the reason we're starting to get publicity is because the press are finally beginning to acknowledge all is not well.

2. Remember the expose of Tony Bliar's recent property misery? The Daily Mail reported on its front page that his grand £3.4million house in Mayfair is now valued at £200,000 LESS than he paid for it and his two Bristol flats have gone down about £30,000 each too. That bit of news must have made many people think something is up with the market. Even the PM is being affected.

From now on we MUST ignore these VI t*rds. The crash has started (for those who still need convincing, read the expats website), and once sellers realise that their fabulous Right Move prices have no basis in reality - which will take a few months, as they're all still heavily in terrified denial - the whole pyramid scam will collapse very quickly. Courage, my friends! You too, Marina. Get a grip and don't despair.

Edited by dalek

Dalek.

Have you thought that there a lot of replies as it makes a change to hear differing points instead of HPC backslapping.

And I'm no estate agent you plum, just someone that does not get swayed and paniked by narrow minded public sentiment.

It' starting to get just like it was on the way up. Know it alls jumping the bandwagon becoming overnight experts. Only this time it's about the HPC not how easy it is to make cash from property.

For those that keep theier head and walk a middle line during the upturns and downturns there will still be easy and yummy profits to be made.

11,000th most popular site on the internet? With all the hot air spoken on here I thought that it would have risen much higher.

Better get my website address in my signature

And your going to need all of the courage that you can get when faced with all the rental payments you will be making while you wait for the kerash

Edited by lookingafterthekids

just commenting on the media coverage

i ve noticed that the site ranking has gone from 12500 to 11500 in the space of about 3 weeks. From www.alexa.com.

thats not bad, a change of 8%. Although we are in a lull

housepricecrash.co.uk is more popular than the travel agent www.thomson.co.uk (ranked 14,014) as an example

another benchmark to aim for is www.easyjet.com (about 1000), and www.HMV.co.uk music (at about 4000)

Others out of intrest:

www.insidetrack.co.uk (165,671)

www.berkeleyhomes.co.uk (345,563)

www.northernrock.co.uk (33,574)

www.nsandi.com (18,738)

www.oceanfinance.co.uk (60,615) (and they are on the telly everyday)

www.firstplus.co.uk (55,460)

Edited by notanewmember

I reckon the hollow sounding taunts few remaining bulls are typical of the moronic instant gratification mentality all too prevalent in the UK today.

If things don’t happen within the next 5 minutes, they aren’t going to happen at all.

You don’t need much common sense to realise that printing money to keep an economy based on people spending more than they earn & will ever be able to afford to pay back is unsustainable.

All coming here for a chuckle to get them through the long winter nights.

Now that the clocks have gone forward, traffic will probably fall off as people get out and enjoy themselves.........

yeah probably.

hopefully the visitors are now armed with some information about the otherside of property spin and can make up their own minds.

It still remains that many people are priced out of property, and they know there is no rush to get on the "ladder" now as chains arent working, and there are so many vacant properties, and there is no rampant price increases.

Is that seaonally adjusted ?

lol, i dont need to "adjust" my figures like some er other institutions to get what they need out of statistics.

oh and we are more popular than http://www.annsummers.com/ (22,393 ) ;)

Edited by notanewmember

lookingafterthekids Feb 9 2006, 11:59 PM Post #12

HPC Poster

Group: New Members

Member No.: 3,742

I've bought and sold at a lovely profit within the last 8 months and didn't experience any of the above only pure joy when going to the bank?

Care to give us the postcode and house number then so we can revel in your cleverness?

I've got a good idea. FTBs can't afford to get on the 'ladder' so they rent. BTLs buy property (wth a BTL mortgage) to rent out and make money. Why don't the FTBs take out a BTL and rent the place back to themselves? They are then able to get onto the "ladder", enjoy low rent and make money like all the other BTLs at the same time! :blink:

Must be a flaw in it somewhere. ;)

Edited by othello

No need.

I know and thats the most important thing!

I'm not here to gloat, merely to point out to people that regardless of the negativity on here, there are still reasonably priced properties out there.

Remember, much as people on here want you to believe that everything is black and white, it isn't.

Tell you what undersupply, why don't you post the details of properties you lie awake at night wishing you had bought but never quite felt 'right' about them.

Here in Berkshire we've had our crash. It was about 15% generally. Now they are moving up again. Almost every board round here has Sold written on it. There is actually a shortage of property on the market.

The same will happen where you are. Why? Because there are enough people earning enough money at today's interest rates to keep the market moving. Last years fall in IRs convinced people they have topped out. People hear what they want to hear and with a thousand siren voices saying IRs are stable - they are still buying.

I am very surprised to read this, from somebody who up until now I would have described as posting nothing but good, reasoned and steady sense.

If the market is turning again, then knowing that it is is all that is important. If now really is a good time to buy, then I will buy - not a first time buyer but trading up to a second house.

I sort of resent the implication of what you are saying here. I bought my first house back in 1999, as soon as I had a stable income to buy one with. Since then my income has multiplied by about three. I also have started a family. I would like a bigger house. So now I might buy one. But what exactly could I have done differently? I bought as soon as I could. Over the last 6 years I've watched houses inflate. Now that I am in a position to trade up, and indeed to want to trade up for the utility gained in doing so, I find that for all the reasons we've debated on here endlessly my increased buying power is devalued a lot. But I don't see what I could have done differently.

What I'm interested in is trying to know what the market is really doing. If you say it is on an upturn again, then that is interesting, and helps me make a decision about what to do. But lashing out and suggesting that people here who express their irritation about HPI along with their search for information about the market on which to base their decisions is a bit unfair I'd say. As for your suggestion that people let the mainstream press know about what the forum feels, I think you've more chance of making the sun rise in the west than making any difference to anything by trying to influence the mainstream press.

That post of yours above almost sounds to me like somebody else stole your login and posted in your name.

Edited by Levy process

I am very surprised to read this, from somebody who up until now I would have described as posting nothing but good, reasoned and steady sense.

If the market is turning again, then knowing that it is is all that is important. If now really is a good time to buy, then I will buy - not a first time buyer but trading up to a second house.

I sort of resent the implication of what you are saying here. I bought my first house back in 1999, as soon as I had a stable income to buy one with. Since then my income has multiplied by about three. I also have started a family. I would like a bigger house. So now I might buy one. But what exactly could I have done differently? I bought as soon as I could. Over the last 6 years I've watched houses inflate. Now that I am in a position to trade up, and indeed to want to trade up for the utility gained in doing so, I find that for all the reasons we've debated on here endlessly my increased buying power is devalued a lot. But I don't see what I could have done differently.

What I'm interested in is trying to know what the market is really doing. If you say it is on an upturn again, then that is interesting, and helps me make a decision about what to do. But lashing out and suggesting that people here who express their irritation about HPI along with their search for information about the market on which to base their decisions is a bit unfair I'd say. As for your suggestion that people let the mainstream press know about what the forum feels, I think you've more chance of making the sun rise in the west than making any difference to anything by trying to influence the mainstream press.

That post of yours above almost sounds to me like somebody else stole your login and posted in your name.

No, it is I.

I will try to be succinct.

1) It ain't happening - the HPC. It started to, but now it has stopped. IRs went up, but they stopped and went down. People gave a sigh of relief - and the merry-go-round continues.

2) I am not saying the market where I live is going up just for effect. It is. I am disappointed. I am out of the market. I ought to get back in but, for my own reasons, I don't really want to at the moment. Just 6 months ago most signs had For Sale on them. You'd walk past houses and think 'that must have been on the market for 9 months now.' Not any more. It's actually quite hard to spot a For Sale sign at the moment. They all have 'Sold' on them.

3) If you are experiencing a static market with price falls - you are probably in the regions. You are experiencing what happened here. The regions always follow the London/SE property market.

4) As long as people like you are completely defeated 'I think you've more chance of making the sun rise in the west than making any difference to anything by trying to influence the mainstream press' - the HPI party will continue.

5) The mainstream press - regardless of VI - report events. If you give them an event, they will report it.

6) The majority of people in this country have a VI in the property market and, although, they might be concerned about the future for their own children, if they have to accept their property is worth half what they think it is worth ....

7) Your generation is pathetic. In days gone past when people thought they were being unfairly treated, they got together. Created a Union or some sort of organization, printed some leaflets, raised awareness of their cause, stood on soap boxes, marched, demonstrated - even seized power. You lot do nothing. Just absolutely, completely, nothing. Start another thread - that'll make a difference.

Okay - I am having a go. Don't have a go back at me - I am not your enemy. I am trying to stir you lot up to DO SOMETHING. Sorry? What? Take that bloody IPOD out of your ears.

Sound to me like someone who's given up waiting, gone out and bought and is now projecting all his/her anger onto those who are still waiting. And Lord knows, there are a few. Greater fools in the sucker's rally.

Sad, as I always enjoyed Marina's posts... :(

I'm not here to gloat, merely to point out to people that regardless of the negativity on here, there are still reasonably priced properties out there.

I honestly cannot find any reasonably priced properties out there. If you were in the position many first time buyers find themselves I'm pretty sure you'd have a different idea of 'reasonably priced'. You do in fact sound as though you're gloating. No offence intended.

I honestly cannot find any reasonably priced properties out there. If you were in the position many first time buyers find themselves I'm pretty sure you'd have a different idea of 'reasonably priced'. You do in fact sound as though you're gloating. No offence intended.

Annie, I am not here to gloat at all. I have been involved in property for well over a decade and am merely trying to show things from my perspective.

Firstly, yes, there are lots of properties that are well, well overpriced and do (and will) need to be readjusted down.

I agree with this BUT, it will not pan out the same accross the whole market, to the same degree and at the same time.

This is my main gripe with this site. There are a lot of undoubtedly switched on posters on here but their views seem to me to be very black and white, all or nothing. The property market is not like that.

Yes there was a 'crash' back in the early 90's. Yes, prices did fall. Yes, people were left with negative equity.

But not all people were affected to the same degree (if at all) accross the UK and at the same time.

So you want an affordable property.

I live in Birmingham. One of the nicest, most popular areas is Harborne, B17. A 2/3 bed terraced will cost you -http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6494767.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy for a central property or - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-107...a_n=16&tr_t=buy if you move 1/2 ish out from center.

So all those FTB's that want to live in Harborne are stuck and can't afford to buy a house.

How about moving a little bit further out (and no, the area is not like the Bronx, not as nice as central Harborne, but still good).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-104...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy (this probably sold for more than this but less than £85,000 ish)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-580...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-586...pa_n=4&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-103...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-445...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy

Not as cheap as they used to be but all decent homes in decent areas

Annie, I am not here to gloat at all. I have been involved in property for well over a decade and am merely trying to show things from my perspective.

Firstly, yes, there are lots of properties that are well, well overpriced and do (and will) need to be readjusted down.

I agree with this BUT, it will not pan out the same accross the whole market, to the same degree and at the same time.

This is my main gripe with this site. There are a lot of undoubtedly switched on posters on here but their views seem to me to be very black and white, all or nothing. The property market is not like that.

Yes there was a 'crash' back in the early 90's. Yes, prices did fall. Yes, people were left with negative equity.

But not all people were affected to the same degree (if at all) accross the UK and at the same time.

So you want an affordable property.

I live in Birmingham. One of the nicest, most popular areas is Harborne, B17. A 2/3 bed terraced will cost you -http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6494767.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy for a central property or - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-107...a_n=16&tr_t=buy if you move 1/2 ish out from center.

So all those FTB's that want to live in Harborne are stuck and can't afford to buy a house.

How about moving a little bit further out (and no, the area is not like the Bronx, not as nice as central Harborne, but still good).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-104...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy (this probably sold for more than this but less than £85,000 ish)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-580...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-586...pa_n=4&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-103...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-445...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy

Not as cheap as they used to be but all decent homes in decent areas

I take your point of view and believe you're not gloating. These are all decent homes - and you're right they're not as cheap as they used to be only a couple of years ago.

We're lucky - we've been expats for the last 6 years with free accommodation - and are saving as much as we can to buy a house outright. With hindsight we would have bought back in 2003. So, we could afford to buy but don't want to see hard earned cash devalued by dropping house prices.

We have friends who managed to buy before the boom and also friends who didn't and who are simply priced out. The whole thing has caused a certain uneasiness amongst friends but it's unspoken. That's why this site is good. You can share your opinion with like-minded people. Maybe that's what many people on here are doing?

6) The majority of people in this country have a VI in the property market and, although, they might be concerned about the future for their own children, if they have to accept their property is worth half what they think it is worth ....

This is how the HPC works, the seller has to accept whatever the highest bidder is prepared to offer, and either the new sale price becomes part of the new lower statistic, or they hold the property, inwhich case the price is irelevant.

Interest rates will rise, redundancies will be made, everyone will feel poorer and the houses that do sell will sell for increasingly lower prices. This is happening now.

Guest Winners and Losers

We have friends who managed to buy before the boom and also friends who didn't and who are simply priced out. The whole thing has caused a certain uneasiness amongst friends but it's unspoken. That's why this site is good. You can share your opinion with like-minded people. Maybe that's what many people on here are doing?

Ah, the good old peer pressure. That was the problem in the 80's, everyone trying to keep up with the Jones'.