House Price Crash Forum

Is Reality Hitting Home?

HOLA441

Econmic theory and doom mongering aside.

Where is the house price crash? Where is cruise crash speed?

Despite your need for a HPC, it hasn't happened yet and despite the fact that I think prices will fall in 2006, I'm afraid to say that I think your house price christmas day may be a long time coming.

Surely there is only so many times you can tell yourself "There will be a crash, there will be a crash".

I think it's time to agree:

"House prices may fall but not by the same amount and not accross the board"

Admit it people or you stand a good chance of looking foolish :-)))

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Despite your need for a HPC, it hasn't happened yet and despite the fact that I think prices will fall in 2006, I'm afraid to say that I think your house price christmas day may be a long time coming.

Surely there is only so many times you can tell yourself "There will be a crash, there will be a crash".

Of course they don't fall by the same amount or accross the board..

:)

I have seen massive discounts against new builds.. and they are still empty..

and two more large estates getting built..

can't imagine who is going to move in..

Older smaller homes are selling.. two bed terraces..

but larger homes are languishing. very badly

Is the ladder broken.??

Mervin King siad that it would be by very low inflation and I guess massive house prices don't help either

Edited by apom

HOLA444

You can make a reasonable point without sounding so smug ya know, Just try it. There are plenty who contribute on here who, despite the forum title, do not believe in the crash scenario, more a long term drawn out torture as deflationary pressures come to bear and cause economic stagnation is my take. You do not have to be so imflammatory....however it`s fun I suppose, if the tack hadn`t been tried a hundred times before that is ;)

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA445

Not that old chestnut again :rolleyes:

HOLA446

Wrong.

Read my previous posts.

In fact, I will state now that less than 80% of properties will see prices falls.

Silly billy london newbuild flat owners will run the fastest.

It might be time to toughen up, stop tittle tattling about you said this he said that and face facts.

Sorry

I get most of my cheap properties from people wanting to sell quickly.

And at the moment, they aren't.

They are risking placing their properties on the open market and on average are achieving 93 - 96% of the original agents valuation.

Not bad for them.

Bad for you lot.

And me!

HOLA447

Wrong.

Read my previous posts.

In fact, I will state now that less than 80% of properties will see prices falls.

It might be time to toughen up, stop tittle tattling about you said this he said that and face facts.

Sorry

They are risking placing their properties on the open market and on average are achieving 93 - 96% of the original agents valuation.

Not bad for them.

Bad for you lot.

And me!

don't forget that in times where inflation was not being strictly managed house prices did not fall.

but the economy did suffer such catastrophic inflation that affodability was achieved..

but in a way that Mervin King has taken great pains to ensure that we know inflation will not rescue again.

Three times that housing market has failed, and it has done so after every boom. Only once did prices actually fall.

That was last time.

and we have been promised that this time it will be worse

HOLA448

Not bad for them.

Bad for you lot.

And me!

Well it`s not our fault you aint earning any money, can`t you claim unemployment benefit.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

don't forget that in times where inflation was not being strictly managed house prices did not fall.

but the economy did suffer such catastrophic inflation that affodability was achieved..

but in a way that Mervin King has taken great pains to ensure that we know inflation will not rescue again.

Three times that housing market has failed, and it has done so after every boom. Only once did prices actually fall.

That was last time.

and we have been promised that this time it will be worse

Not sure if the Merv bit is strictly tru. I think he said that inflation and IRs will remain low for the foreseeable future, but he saw them rising once the China/India thing unwinds.

HOLA4411

Here in Bingley 10% (that's 25% of the expected crash) is being lopped-off the prices of properties on a regular basis.

You seem to imply that we expect the crash to happen in one almighty 'Black Monday' type event. We don't. It'll happen over years. Part of it will be property prices falling, and part of it will be wages rising. We won't actually see prices fall by the percentages being talked about, what will happen is wages will rise and things will settle in the region of average house price = 3 times average salary, the higher wages giving the impression of a larger drop in house prices than has actually happened. That's what I believe anyway. Could be 5-8 years though before we reach that point.

HOLA4412

The doom-mongers are the one who seem to think that high prices are good for the economy and people.

You may not have noticed that the economy has slowed down dramatically, and unemployment is now rising.

It's cyclical, always has been and always will be.

Best you rather keep looking after the kids.

HOLA4413

Question - did anyone here really notice the 92" recession? Did it affect you day to day life.

I bet it didnt if 1) You had little debt or borrowing 2) You did not live beyond your means 3) You had a few brain cells.

"And we have been promised that this time it will be worse" - If you sit there shit*ing yourself, believing everything that they tell you, unwilling to move and adjust then, yes, there will be a MASSIVE house price crash, and YES the sky will fall in.

NO ONE can predit EVERYTHING correctly 100% of the time and this is the funniest thing.

The general premise on this board is that you lot can.

:-))))

Well it`s not our fault you aint earning any money, can`t you claim unemployment benefit.

Never. I prefer being out there earning a wage by using my wits and not whinging about how bad things are or will become

There's a thin line between bravery & stupidity... are you brave?

Yes.If i was stupid I'd spend my time posting cra* on message boards about what MAY be.

Here in Bingley 10% (that's 25% of the expected crash) is being lopped-off the prices of properties on a regular basis.

You seem to imply that we expect the crash to happen in one almighty 'Black Monday' type event. We don't. It'll happen over years. Part of it will be property prices falling, and part of it will be wages rising. We won't actually see prices fall by the percentages being talked about, what will happen is wages will rise and things will settle in the region of average house price = 3 times average salary, the higher wages giving the impression of a larger drop in house prices than has actually happened. That's what I believe anyway. Could be 5-8 years though before we reach that point.

10% of prices on a regular basis - is that daily, weekly, monthly yearly?

The second paragraph just confirms that there probably wont be a crash.

HOLA4414

Yes.If i was stupid I'd spend my time posting cra* on message boards about what MAY be.

And that's why the sub-title is

"it ain't happening people"?

Edited by algor

HOLA4415

Wrong.

Read my previous posts.

Sorry

Not bad for them.

Bad for you lot.

And me!

My experience is that prices are falling--up to 20% in the small area where I'm looking. Also, houses are definitely staying on the market longer. (That's because the prices are still too high.)

Are some homes selling? Sure. Some people always buy at the top of markets. But the prices are definitely down and properties are taking longer to move than they were 2 to 3 years ago, when I started looking to buy.

So, frankly, I don't care what you think--or do. :P

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

im not having a pop here but when you say wages will be rising i dont see that happenning if the average wage is £30,000 pa inflation @2% £600 approx wage increases over the next five years = £3000 :unsure: btw im in the construction game i was earning as much 5 years ago as wat im earning now the boom is well and truly over .when joe public realise this only then will we see significant downward movement in house prices every dog has its day . what i cant understand is why bulls hang around this site if they are so sure prices aint dropping or going to drop ?as ttrtr hes gotta be the strangest thing on this forum with his stupid avatar what a pr1ck

Edited by Michael Hunt

HOLA4418

I love that phrase, doom mongering.

Cambridge dictionary says;

-monger

suffix MAINLY DISAPPROVING

a person who encourages a particular activity, especially one which causes trouble:

So we're encouraging the activity of doom.

Top quality game, yay us.

BTW did you happen to have any Amazon shares in 2000?

HOLA4419

My experience is that prices are falling--up to 20% in the small area where I'm looking. Also, houses are definitely staying on the market longer. (That's because the prices are still too high.)

Are some homes selling? Sure. Some people always buy at the top of markets. But the prices are definitely down and properties are taking longer to move than they were 2 to 3 years ago, when I started looking to buy.

So, frankly, I don't care what you think--or do. :P

Okey dokey - wheres your area?

Have prices fell 20% or are the falling UP TO 20%? Give us a central postcode and let us do the work with nethouseprices and rightmove and find out the truth.

In my area properties are moving much slower, more like normal levels as opposed to 03' - 04' levels, but they are still selling and for close to valuation.

Admit it - you cannot generalise about any free market.

HOLA4420

I love that phrase, doom mongering.

Cambridge dictionary says;

-monger

suffix MAINLY DISAPPROVING

a person who encourages a particular activity, especially one which causes trouble:

So we're encouraging the activity of doom.

Top quality game, yay us.

BTW did you happen to have any Amazon shares in 2000?

No. Not one. Never been into shares.

Did own some wonderfully profitable properties though.

DBT, regarding your avatar \ banner - should it also read "Shares for people, not for profit". How about "Shops for people, not for profit". Or how about "Ebay for people, not for profits"

:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

HOLA4421

there is still a lot of life left in the market yet. one of the estate agents whom i visit had their best ever month recently with over 40 offers accepted in 1 week(40 different houses). i don't know how the offers compared to asking prices, but over 40 in 1 week! one of my other clients is just about to add another 6 properties to his btl porfolio. madness i know, but lots of life left. it could be a long time before we see a uniform downturn.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425