House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

Rant To Mp Regarding House Prices Etc

I'm getting extremely concerned about the affordability of housing in this country for todays first time buyers. Not only has this countries debt burden doubled since Labour have come to power, but house prices have doubled, tripled, and in some cases, quadrupled due to the lax-lending of banks. This compounds the issue of affordability. With companies, such as Rightmove, Halifax and even the BBC hyping that housing is still increasing (due to Rightmoves extremely flawed ASKING price averages (and don't get me started on them)) this pressurizes the young to indebt themselves with mortgages sometimes exceeding 6 times salary (not including interest payments). I believe the long term average is 3-4 times salary. With the pressures of oil, electricity, gas and possibly water going up in price, (and Japans Monetary policy tightening, it is expected that either Interest Rates rise, or the pound devalues) - all those buyers end up with less money to service these debts and costs.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about this. Shared Ownership schemes are not the answer - and I can go into that if you wish.

Also CPI inflation at 2.0% - what a load of rubbish. Also why has the Television license been removed from the CPI basket? Is it because its going up in price by at least 15%?

I wish you the best and hope you can respond.

--------------

Found MP at http://www.writetothem.com/

Yours sincerely,

Edited by OzzMosiz

Yep WriteToThem is a cracking site, if you're using it there's some tips on writing to your MP here.

Another site you might want to check out is http://www.TheyWorkForYou.com which let's you research what particular MP's have been saying about issues.

Finally PricedOut are trying to catalog what MP's have been saying about the housing market so feel free to post what you wrote and more importantly any reply you get on the forum over there.

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

Talking about Japan's expected monetary policy is probably a bit abstract when writing to your MP about UK house prices, afterall nobody really knows what will happen macro-economically, it's all just speculation. What isn't speculation however is that record numbers of people are priced out at a time when bankruptcies are soaring and there is a general culture of irrisponsible lending.

I wrote to my MP and he took the opportunity to tell me how he was supporting the building of new 'affordable' homes in my area. I was going to write back to him and ask him how he was going to stop them all being bought up by speculators and let to the very people their aimed at. I should have really.

Talking about Japan's expected monetary policy is probably a bit abstract when writing to your MP about UK house prices, afterall nobody really knows what will happen macro-economically, it's all just speculation. What isn't speculation however is that record numbers of people are priced out at a time when bankruptcies are soaring and there is a general culture of irrisponsible lending.

I agree it's important to stick to concepts your average MP can understand easily and get on board with. In fact I'm planning on putting together a MP dedicated page stating our case on how bad things have got, and the arguments against Shared Equity and Affordable Housing, so people can either direct their MP's there for a well made argument or cut and paste the bits they like.

I wrote to my MP and he took the opportunity to tell me how he was supporting the building of new 'affordable' homes in my area. I was going to write back to him and ask him how he was going to stop them all being bought up by speculators and let to the very people their aimed at. I should have really.

You should, many MP's probably think it is a good idea. You should write and say they should concentrate on making homes affordable, rather than making a handful of affordable homes.

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

I used this once to write to my MP (not about HP though). I got a reply promising this, that and the other. The problem was then passed to the council. After this he wasn't interested, as far as he was concerned, he had done all he could.

Complete waste of time!

I used this once to write to my MP (not about HP though). I got a reply promising this, that and the other. The problem was then passed to the council. After this he wasn't interested, as far as he was concerned, he had done all he could.

Complete waste of time!

Never a waste of time, if he get's a few more letter's he/she might start to think, oh eck this is going to be a vote loser and become more interested in it.

The only time I've contacted my MP (MSP actually) was when I emailed Mike Watson immediately after he'd plead guilty to fire raising charges.

I asked him:

"Is this curtains for your career?"

Never a waste of time, if he get's a few more letter's he/she might start to think, oh eck this is going to be a vote loser and become more interested in it.

I know, but I was particularly pi**ed off with this particular MP. In my case (at the time) I was writing to a Labour MP and what I was writing about was challenging Labour policy. I now live in a 'tory' area, so challenging labour policy may get a very different reaction.

Lovin' the new web site by the way!

Non-home owners need to raise a stink. We need to persuade MPs that the cosy consensus HPI=good is wrong.

Most MPs see 70% of their constituents as OOs, who are also more likely to vote (partly because they're more likely to be on the electoral register). This means the remainder need to make clear that house prices are really important to us - ie, issues which will decide how we vote.