House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alba

End Of Lease Precautions?

This is the first time we have leased a property and we are coming to the end of the lease. I have given notice of termination.

Apart from taking last minute photos are there any other recommendations? I took photos at the beginning.

An inventory was undertaken at the beginning which I amended. The same or a similar type company will be used for the end of lease inventory.

Don't hold back your rent, as that will put you in breach of contract and you could be taken to court. It's not difficult to take the landlord to court to get back your deposit, so it is better if you stay on the right side of the law.

I agree with Imp on this one. Apart from in extreme circumstances, where you have very good reason to believe that the landlord may do you out of your deposit, you should not withhold the last months rent. Other than that, seems to me that you have everything under control. It is worth asking the landlord if he will come inspect the property a couple of weeks before you are due to leave, and ask him to point out anything that he feels would be an issue, so you have time to resolve them. He may not do this, but its always worth asking. Also, jsut ensure your contract does not have any clauses in with regards professional cleaning prior to you leaving, or window cleaning etc etc.

ensure your contract does not have any clauses in with regards professional cleaning prior to you leaving, or window cleaning etc etc.

I've heard a lot of people with this sort of thing in their contract, but is it actually legal? So what if you have signed it, do you really have to get carpets cleaned to cover up general wear and tear? That seems like it should be coming out of the landlord's pocket.

I went round the house when all was empty and video'd the whole house, a sort

of virtual inventory, walk through, showing the floors, walls, units, loo, carpets

as there wasnt one taken, so if push comes to shove, i've got an ace up my sleeve..

Will only take you 10 minutes tops...

It appears from the Office of Fair Trading document OFT356 that it is not necessary to have the house cleaned professionally before leaving. The requirement is to have it cleaned to a professional standard if you received the property cleaned to a professional standard. You can do this yourself if you have the time and inclination.

I've heard a lot of people with this sort of thing in their contract, but is it actually legal? So what if you have signed it, do you really have to get carpets cleaned to cover up general wear and tear? That seems like it should be coming out of the landlord's pocket.

Cleaning doesn't cover up general wear and tear in cleans up dirt, dirt is not general wear and tear.

It appears from the Office of Fair Trading document OFT356 that it is not necessary to have the house cleaned professionally before leaving. The requirement is to have it cleaned to a professional standard if you received the property cleaned to a professional standard. You can do this yourself if you have the time and inclination.

You can request that it is cleaned by a proprietary cleaning company if such a company cleaned it prior to possession by the tenant.

Cleaning doesn't cover up general wear and tear in cleans up dirt, dirt is not general wear and tear.

Yes, but assuming you've say, hoovered living room once a day, and mopped up any spills, then you will have cleaned up 'dirt'. It is surely not your place to be getting the property professionally cleaned just cos the LL can;t be assed?

Yes, but assuming you've say, hoovered living room once a day, and mopped up any spills, then you will have cleaned up 'dirt'. It is surely not your place to be getting the property professionally cleaned just cos the LL can;t be assed?

If it was supplied to you in a professionally cleaned state, it should be returned in a similar state, why do you think someone else should do it for you?

Guys, I don't see why there is a discussion. It is a simple fact that if the property was provably cleaned by a proprietary cleaning company prior to the tenant moving in then the landlord can enforce this at the end of the tenancy. Whether it is fair or not is neither here nor there.

We aren't refering to the normal sence of the word "fair", we are refering to the legal sence of the word "fair" in the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Act.