House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taxmyrs

Suing The Inland Revenue

Every family in the UK with children are entitled to Child Tax Credits (I think about £40 a month). The proviso is that your family income is less than £60k a year or something like that.

Our combined income is about £45k and we have 3 kids (6, 6 and 2) - so we qualify. Since August last year they have suspended our payments because of a computer error that said we had no kids and now we owe them for previosu payments made, which is patently wrong. Since last August I have rung about 20 times and wrote two letters, but the problem is with R & D and the customer services have no contact with them. They tell me it is an error on the computer system, I am entitled and will get paid in full, but they cannot tell me when this might be.

So I thought ****** this! I've written them a letter basically saying:

Dear Customer Services,

Because of an error on your part my family have not received a Tax Credit payment since August 2005. We are now owed in excess of £300 by the Inland Revenue.

Since August 2005 I must have made at least twenty telephone calls and written two letters to try to resolve the matter without any success. I rang today and I still do not know if or when the problem will be resolved.

We have been very patient so far in allowing you a reasonable length of time to sort out this problem, however if the money owed to us is not paid in full by 30 April 2006 I will have no alternative but to pursue this matter through the courts and will issue a county court claim against the Inland Revenue.

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience.

I don't know if you can sue the IR, but I'll ******ing try - - the bastards!

Has anyone tried to sue the IR?

Sorry for all the swearing. :D

You cannot sue any grossly incompetent public servant if they have Crown immunity. They are immune and are not accountable in the same way a professional person is.

You cannot sue any grossly incompetent public servant if they have Crown immunity. They are immune and are not accountable in the same way a professional person is.

I'm not suing an individual public servant; I'm suing the Inland Revenue, moreover the Tax Credits department.

I'm not suing an individual public servant; I'm suing the Inland Revenue, moreover the Tax Credits department.

Personally I wouldn't be rattling their cage - particulalry if you've ever sold anything on eBay, etc & not declared it. They can be right b*stards when they want to. I wouldn't take the risk. You might be peeved now, but they can make your life a living hell if they so choose. Like instantly freezing all of your bank accounts while they "investigate" you.

BPE is spot on. For £300 quid, it ain't worth the hassle they could cause you.

Tax is one area of the law where you are guilty until you can prove otherwise.

ie. They send you a tax demand for £50k and you must pay it or prove otherwise. This is partly why I rather paranoically (is there such a word!?) keep all documents regarding my income etc.

NDL

Personally I wouldn't be rattling their cage - particulalry if you've ever sold anything on eBay, etc & not declared it. They can be right b*stards when they want to. I wouldn't take the risk. You might be peeved now, but they can make your life a living hell if they so choose. Like instantly freezing all of your bank accounts while they "investigate" you.

Too late the letters gone now; if they persecute me I'll tell Richard and Judy.

Too late the letters gone now; if they persecute me I'll tell Richard and Judy.

Richard & Judy aren't that daft, they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I don't think Richard would want the taxman trawling through his dirty laundry (nor do I think the taxman would want to trawl through Judys dirty laundry either - yuk!).

Richard & Judy aren't that daft, they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I don't think Richard would want the taxman trawling through his dirty laundry (nor do I think the taxman would want to trawl through Judys dirty laundry either - yuk!).

I'm sure Richard could get the taxman a nice bottle of wine. :lol: