House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ex alexander hall employee

Questions Asked In Commons

Guest ex alexander hall employee

An MP has just asked Geoff Hoon if the government are to do anything about rougue estate agents, such as those featured on Whistleblower.

Geoff Hoon's reply was that it is something that members of the house should come back to a later stage.

- That's all right then

Edited by ex alexander hall employee

An MP has just asked Geoff Hoon if the government are to do anything about rougue estate agents, such as those featured on Whistleblower.

Geoff Hoon's reply was that it is something that mkembers of the house should come back to a later stage.

- That's all right then

There was a similar question on 9 February

Clive Betts (Sheffield, Attercliffe, Lab) Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry

(1) if the Government will undertake a consultation on (a) how to strengthen regulation of estate agents, (B) the setting up of a redress mechanism, © possible qualifications and national quality standards for estate agents and (d) measures to increase the effectiveness of the Office of Fair Trading and local trading standards departments in protecting consumers and making estate agents' dealings with consumers more transparent following the March 2004 report by the Office of Fair Trading;

(2) if he will bring forward legislation to regulate estate agents; and if he will make a statement.

Gerry Sutcliffe (Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Employment Relations and Consumer Affairs), Department of Trade and Industry) Hansard source

Yes. It remains our intention to issue a consultation document covering the issues raised by the Office of Fair Trading report, and developments since then.

The Government have also made clear their intention to bring forward legislation when parliamentary time permits to expand upon the provisions of the Housing Act 2004 relating to a redress scheme for estate agents. We intend to allow a statutory redress scheme to deal with a wider range of consumer complaints against estate agents and to provide for redress schemes in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Geoff Hoon's reply was that it is something that members of the house should come back to a later stage.

- That's all right then

Geoff Hoon and his colleagues are too busy milking the cow!

Geoff Hoon and his colleagues are too busy milking the cow!

And the EAs involved are busy committing fraud, theft, conspiracy to defraud, forgery, data protection violations without restraint.

As goes HPI goes Gordon. Not much incentive for the Government to reign in the HPI ramping EAs.

- That's all right then

They'll wait until they've offloaded all their BTL's ;)

They'll wait until they've offloaded all their BTL's ;)

Going back to dodgy estate agents, it seems that some of the problem is where agents have an exclusive agency. They make inflated valuations to get business, then start working on the owners. What would happen if it was illegal to charge different fees for exclusive versus non-exclusive deals. That would give estate agents less control over the properties and individual agents less influence as there would be fewer exclusive agencies.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

Going back to dodgy estate agents, it seems that some of the problem is where agents have an exclusive agency. They make inflated valuations to get business, then start working on the owners. What would happen if it was illegal to charge different fees for exclusive versus non-exclusive deals. That would give estate agents less control over the properties and individual agents less influence as there would be fewer exclusive agencies.

Billy Shears

am not 100% sure, but doesn't it work kinda like this in the US? anyone know for certain?

Would like US fees though - about 5-6% i think!!! :lol::lol::lol:

am not 100% sure, but doesn't it work kinda like this in the US? anyone know for certain?

Would like US fees though - about 5-6% i think!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I thought Foxtons was undercutting everyone with smaller fees over in the US.

And if the fees went up that much, online selling might take over. That's something I'd like to see.

Billy Shears

I spoke to our MP once about software patents and he offered to table some questions about in the house of commons. It's not hard to get them to do it if they think it's a good cause.

Nor should it be, its their Fking Job isnt it?. Is that not what we pay them to do?.

Its a joke, MP's are pretty useless Cretins at the best of times if they cannot ask a couple of questions once in a while which seems to be the case.

I thought Foxtons was undercutting everyone with smaller fees over in the US.

And if the fees went up that much, online selling might take over. That's something I'd like to see.

Billy Shears

yeah i'd seen that...

strangely ironic - they charge more than the competition here and less over there! weird!

I spoke to our MP once about software patents and he offered to table some questions about in the house of commons. It's not hard to get them to do it if they think it's a good cause.

Hmm... OK, I've bitten and sent off an email asking about Patricia Hewitt's next coffee morning.

Billy Shears

Hmm... OK, I've bitten and sent off an email asking about Patricia Hewitt's next coffee morning.

Billy Shears

Ask her about job cuts in the NHS? They're already short staffed and need more nurses (and funds) to implement the new white paper of community health care.

Ask her about job cuts in the NHS? They're already short staffed and need more nurses (and funds) to implement the new white paper of community health care.

I was going to ask her how the government sees the housing market working out in the long term and asking what they (the government) expect to happen in the housing market in the future.

There are plans in Leicester to increase the number of nurses. I don't know the details but the increased number of nurses was quoted as a reason why demand would be high for newbuild "luxury apartments" along the canal.

Billy Shears

2,000 NHS jobs have been cut in the last week or so. Most of the trusts are WAY over budget. Ask her if they're going to sack the middle managment non-jobs instead? :)