House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazychick

New Builds - Offering 5% Off Without Being Asked

A few weeks I approached Persimmon Homes and asked for a brochure to be sent to me - just for curiosity I must add. Anyhow today my partner took a call from someone at Persimmon Homes saying that they would give us 5% off purchase price [approx. £6,500] - this was without even asking - the purchase price is £131,000 - of course we are waiting until the madness subsides before we buy - but I do wonder how low they would go - 10%? maybe more - what do others think?

I have noticed new builds offering reductions lately whereas older housing stock is being ramped up higher and higher - what is that all about? <_<

Sounds like you're offering far too much.

I went to see a lovely new house, very impressed, made an offer 40% below asking (about 300 grand)

Now that sounds a bit crazy, but the salesman did say that ALL offers would be forwarded to the board.

They turned it down, no worry, there are plenty more houses.

And renting is sooo mcuh cheaper anyway, so there's no rush. I can wait longer.

I do admit I did feel a little twinge.

I will need to make more of these types of offers to get rid of these bad feelings, after all, they couldn't give a toss trying to rob me blind.

I have this whole annecdote.. and it was pre-sipps..

I asked for both discounts against a new build flat.. both worth £5,000

I got both..

I then asked for another £10,000 of and I got it..

this took a flat that phase one had sold for £170,000

which was £150,000 before the above discounts..

then it was £130,000

and I do know someone who bought one of the properties for £160,000

this is why I am fairly sure that house prices are not as fixed, nor are they as important as people think they were..

the developer was still making money...

didn't really care....

think how little they care..

we are talking about many thousands of pounds here that you would blead many years to earn..

and they don't care..

I have noticed new builds offering reductions lately whereas older housing stock is being ramped up higher and higher - what is that all about? <_<

There's an increasing oversupply of new-builds, prices in them have been driven to absurd heights by investment, and these reductions are from massively inflated prices. I think new-builds (and apartments in particular, though there is a knock on to houses) have been especially popular amongst twenty-somethings who 1) don't remember the last crash and 2) haven't really thought through the fact that urban living is all very well until you want to have children and want somewhere with a garden, schools, playgrounds etc. And who still haven't noticed that todays new-build won't be "new-build" any more when they come to sell - just shoddy modern housing.

I think more people are seeing that when you compare the price of a new-build to an older property they are way out of sync. Whatever happens in the rest of the market new-builds are going to fall badly.