House Price Crash Forum

Bombshell From I M F -- Low I R Cause Of Oil Problems

HOLA441

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...nternational.na

Low Interest Rates Drove Oil Price Spike - IMF Study

By Campion Walsh, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Loose monetary policy spurred the latest oil price spike, suggesting an interest-rate response is needed to stabilize oil markets, according to an International Monetary Fund working paper.
"The sustained pressure on oil prices observed in 2004-05 can be explained by an excessively expansionary monetary policy, with interest rates falling to record levels in an integrated international capital market," according to the IMF working paper by Noureddine Krichene. "Stimulated by low interest rates and a depreciating U.S. dollar, demand for oil has expanded faster than supply."
Based on that experience, the study says "
monetary tightening to rein in oil prices and their inflationary implications may be substantial and may involve a trade-off between inflation and output
."

Big banks have issued the warning so NOW is the time to listen and take action--unload BTLs and leveraged properties that are IR sensitive. IR are going nowhere but up and now we have had it from the horse's mouth. The $ is going in the same direction as IR.

This is 100% Al Greenspan who said he would not spare froth in the real estate market. Bernanke has not deviated from this policy. The US is the largest contributor to the IMF fund and will influence higher rates.

HOLA442

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...nternational.na

Low Interest Rates Drove Oil Price Spike - IMF Study

By Campion Walsh, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Loose monetary policy spurred the latest oil price spike, suggesting an interest-rate response is needed to stabilize oil markets, according to an International Monetary Fund working paper.
"The sustained pressure on oil prices observed in 2004-05 can be explained by an excessively expansionary monetary policy, with interest rates falling to record levels in an integrated international capital market," according to the IMF working paper by Noureddine Krichene. "Stimulated by low interest rates and a depreciating U.S. dollar, demand for oil has expanded faster than supply."
Based on that experience, the study says "
monetary tightening to rein in oil prices and their inflationary implications may be substantial and may involve a trade-off between inflation and output
."

Big banks have issued the warning so NOW is the time to listen and take action--unload BTLs and leveraged properties that are IR sensitive. IR are going nowhere but up and now we have had it from the horse's mouth. The $ is going in the same direction as IR.

This is 100% Al Greenspan who said he would not spare froth in the real estate market. Bernanke has not deviated from this policy. The US is the largest contributor to the IMF fund and will influence higher rates.

Wow, from the nasdaq as well. If that makes the headlines here then a change of sentiment. BTW Ir here (if they go up) would they do wonders for my savings account???

HOLA443
HOLA444

IMHO the following words sum up the position of the IMF:

"trade-off between inflation and output"

In the eyes of the Fed inflation is public enemy number one. They will chose to fight inflation at the expense of output believing the latter will recover faster than the consequences of 1980's style inflation.

IR are still accomodative in the US, UK and EU as evidenced by the continuing high levels of borrowing. The HPI/inflation dragon is still alive and breathing which is why the central banks, under the guidance of the IMF, still have some work to do.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I suspect the paper was written by an economist of the type that only knows economics, not the physical and technical realities behind the numbers. The author probably has a point that sharp increases in demand have soaked up available supply, but they have missed the point that it is in this respect that the current price pressure is quite different from previous oil price shocks. Available supply was in any case in decline due to progressive depletion. One wonders how interest rates increasing will change the relentless shift of former oil exporting countries to oil importing - all due to failing domestic supplies as fields deplete, not due to any financial issue.

We'll see. In the short term higher interest rates ought indeed to relieve oil prices, but how long for?

HOLA4410

All a little too late, the inflationary genie is out of the bottle, and it is throttling the West more than it is the East (unhinged land prices, rising costs and falling productivity).

I will be looking to commodities to protect savings, I have no faith in the monetary policies doing so.

Sainsbury's today announced that a small part of their pension funds will be going into commodities for the first time ever, first of many I suspect.

Bonds and gilts have been bid up so far that their worth (unless outright depression ensues) is highly debateable - especially when central banks can inflate the money supply at will hidden behind a curtain of meaningless CPI stats. Equities? Who knows some will do well some will hit severe bumps in the road as the excesses of the last decade and more play out. Driven far enough the cost cutting measures and outsourcing will backfire spectacularly as the very cost savings made to improve sales and profits dwindle the core base of consumers able to participate in the experiment or people so pushed to save money are driven to the very lowest prices - thery will come direct from products supplied outside of the UK supply chain completely, with the new upstart companies able to source skills, material, facilities and services cheaper in other parts of the world and take skills bought and paid for by those companies offshoring.

Interesting times, unless you get dragged under in the downwave.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4411

Ahh.. I think you'll actually find that is called "peak oil". So, the IMF have called it then. Oh dear, we are all screwed.

HOLA4412

As Oscar Wilde once said, "I like to quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation"

I dont presume to such high company but I gotta say......dammit, I am good :lol:;):lol::lol:

My opinion, nothing else,

While I believe there should be a drop in property prices, and I also see it happening it will not be all that severe without outside an outside trigger.

That trigger will be oil.