House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sign_of_the_times

Good Time To Buy A Car ?

need a bigger car for moving the sprogs around. looked at the nice shiny new MPV inn the showroom that was £16k o.t.r.

"bit more than I want to spend" says me

"in that case, just got in some 55reg with delivery miles only, you can have one foe £9995" says the salesman. :o

nearly bought one there and then !

question is, if the economy worsens, will they be offering better deals later on or do you think cars are about as cheap as they can get ?

edit : its a Zafira by the way...

SOTT :)

need a bigger car for moving the sprogs around. looked at the nice shiny new MPV inn the showroom that was £16k o.t.r.

"in that case, just got in some 55reg with delivery miles only, you can have one foe £9995" says the salesman. :o

question is, if the economy worsens, will they be offering better deals later on or do you think cars are about as cheap as they can get ?

They can't really get cheaper as the manufacturer is probably already losing money on them at that price.

Hence the problems that the giants like GM and Ford are having. Ford only makes money from it's credit arm, not from the cars it sells.

That new Zafira looks like a dog IMO, Renault Scenic much nicer and drove one in France, very enjoyable drive.

Make sure its the same car. £16,000 sounds like top spec to me, £9,995 sounds like the base model - cheap trim, no toys etc.

car auctions? ebay? autotrader?

Difficult to get good deals at car auction as you are competing with dealers that can sell cars for more on their forecourts. Went recently and was unimpressed with the prices.

ebay - generally cars go for similar prices to what you would find them in Autotrader + you have the complications of not seeing the car first. Have been to see cars that were not as described.

Autotrader and local rags always the best place to pick up private cars or car supermarkets like TradeSales for newer trade cars.

They can't really get cheaper as the manufacturer is probably already losing money on them at that price.

Hence the problems that the giants like GM and Ford are having. Ford only makes money from it's credit arm, not from the cars it sells.

That new Zafira looks like a dog IMO, Renault Scenic much nicer and drove one in France, very enjoyable drive.

I agree, the new one (16k) has had a "facelift" and indeed, looks a dog.

the 55plate is the last previous style (better looking)

I like the scenic but would prefer 7 seats...

I would say that you have the best you are going to get. If anything Cars will rice in price from now on. New Cars increased in price through the late 80's to the mid 90's. You can buy a new car for the same price you could in 1991. 10-20% cheaper than in 1997.

Difficult to get good deals at car auction as you are competing with dealers that can sell cars for more on their forecourts. Went recently and was unimpressed with the prices.

ebay - generally cars go for similar prices to what you would find them in Autotrader + you have the complications of not seeing the car first. Have been to see cars that were not as described.

Autotrader and local rags always the best place to pick up private cars or car supermarkets like TradeSales for newer trade cars.

If you are spending around the 10k, your best bet would be to go to a Approved Used Dealer. Nearly new cars with no hassle, back by a Manufactorer warranty.

Ebay is only good for a proffessional buyer or someone looking for a cheap run about. I have sold thee cars on there and you only get about 50-80% of a cars worth and the sellers wont budge so it is pointless looking. You might find 1 or 2 cars that are worth while in every 10 that you actually put some time in researching.

If you are spending around the 10k, your best bet would be to go to a Approved Used Dealer. Nearly new cars with no hassle, back by a Manufactorer warranty.

Ebay is only good for a proffessional buyer or someone looking for a cheap run about. I have sold thee cars on there and you only get about 50-80% of a cars worth and the sellers wont budge so it is pointless looking. You might find 1 or 2 cars that are worth while in every 10 that you actually put some time in researching.

I would say cars less than £3000 go for what they are worth - cars worth more probably go for less due to the increased risk factor

just bought a 55 plate (6 month old) Ford Mondeo diesel turbo for £9999 from a Ford dealer!....

Price new is supposed to be about £17k....

The original purchasers of of cars like Mondeos are almost always company car fleets...who get a huge discount on the £17k ....so the 2nd hand prices are very low

Was offered a 55-plate Mercedes E-class 320CDI estate at my local dealer yesterday. Only 12 weeks old with 4k miles. RRP was £42k and I could have it for £30k.... tempted...

This is exactly what I did a month ago. I bought a top-of-the-range Ford Focus (05 plate in the new shape) from a Ford dealer. Cost around £10K or so and included a warranty from Ford. List price brand new would have been about £16K or so.

As it turned out the car I got had a few annoying rattles and squeaks so under the deal I'm exchanging it for another identical one, but overall very pleased.

:D

Toyota Approved used Avensis at 1 - 2 year old go for between 10 and 12K dependent upon spec - enormous inside, huge hatch or boot and loads of spec.

Friend bought a Jan 05 Mondeo Ghia diesel estate in Octo 05 from a Ford dealer with just a few K on the clock for 11K. New the car is around 20ish.

New car sales are down heavily, so second hand trade I would have thought at some time will start to get a little tighter on supply as few cars chopped in, this would then feed back into tighter pricing for new? Have higher energy and raw materials costs fed through the system yet - I doubt it.

Was offered a 55-plate Mercedes E-class 320CDI estate at my local dealer yesterday. Only 12 weeks old with 4k miles. RRP was £42k and I could have it for £30k.... tempted...

£42k sounds way over the top though....even if it had all the extras.....like satnav and leather seats

What do you think used car prices will do from here on? Rise too? I'm talking 4 or 5 year old cars here.

4 or 5 yo cars getting cheaper.....owing to new and nearly new prices sagging.....Even a lot of teenagers nowadays buy new and nearly new so demand for older cars is weakening all the time.....

Edited by Michael

If you're worried about depreciation then don't get any MPV. Also, if you're tempted with a Renault or the like... never, ever, EVER buy a French car! Not only will you end up with a rubbish car, but you will probably experience some of the worst customer care on the planet.

:angry:

:lol:

What about a decent 4x4?

Buy a diesel and run it on vegetable oil mixed with a dash of white spirits.

Works out less than half the price. Next door neighbour runs a new VW Diesel Turbo and changes the fuel filter once a year.

He even has the cheek to use 2nd hand oil from take-aways which is FREE !

New cars are rubbish, don't buy one. You will never see that money again, not to mention servicing, tyres etc.

Oh, and if it's a Renault you will bitterly regret your decision. They really are ******ing scrap, it will spend more time in the workshop than on the road.