House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ca-uk

My Council Tax Up 7.1% This Year! Yet Inflation Only 2%.. Hmm.

Title says it all. My council tax has gone up by about 50% in 5 years - funny how i don't seem to notice the benefits given that the state of the area and roads is in a steady decline.

Title says it all. My council tax has gone up by about 50% in 5 years - funny how i don't seem to notice the benefits given that the state of the area and roads is in a steady decline.

Come on now. There are a lot of gold plated public sector pensions to pay for. Stop moaning!

Come on now. There are a lot of gold plated public sector pensions to pay for. Stop moaning!

You're not far off with that coment. My mother used to work for the local council and yes, the bathroom fittings in city hall are gold plated... She knows 'cause she processed the invoices for them!

Goods inflation is low, very low due to cheap imported goods this is why CPI is only 2%

Service inflation is much higher and council tax is mostly to cover services hence it's unrealistic to expect it to be the same as CPI

what did anyone expect when thatcher dreamed up the idea.

So you're blaming council tax on the same Margaret Thatcher who was kicked out for replacing rates (aka council tax v1.0) with poll tax? Or is this a different Thatcher you're talking about here?

Or is this just one of those 'it's bad, therefore it must be Thatcher's fault' things?

Goods inflation is low, very low due to cheap imported goods this is why CPI is only 2%

Service inflation is much higher and council tax is mostly to cover services hence it's unrealistic to expect it to be the same as CPI

Of course, the Chinese Price Index.

"Council Tax rises by more than inflation" isn't exactly news is it? Besides, around here we're always saying that the *real* rate of inflation is much higher than the reported rate. So maybe 7% is about right.

Bring back the poll tax, that's what I say. Mind you, these days a Pole tax might be more popular.

Andrew McP

PS Mine's gone up about 4%. We do get some flowers hanging off the lamposts for that though, so I can't complain. It really makes up for living in a dump of a communter town.