House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fiddlesticks

Whistleblower In The News?

Guest Fiddlesticks

Just been trying to see the extent to which the Whistleblower programme has been reported - the answer is not a lot. It hasn't made the mainstream press at all - Google News has these three links:

http://www.exclusive-international.com/foxtons-exposed-0155

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/art..._page_id=8&ct=5

http://www.in2perspective.com/nr/2006/03/f...E014E5D75041C97

It's not even on the BBC news website, apart from the 'magazine' preview article that was posted yesterday! Surely it warrants more news coverage then this?

Fiddlesticks

Lets all write to the BBC and praise the commisioning editor and tell him/her to give Anna a lot more projects like this.

Credit where credit is due and perhaps we should praise the Beeb on this one?

It is possible that criminal investigations are under way in which case the matter becomes sub-judice, which is a way of saying leave it alone and let the justice system sort it out.

:ph34r:

C4 recently did an undercover "DISPATCHES" programme with reporters going undercover as cabin staff for Ryanair.

Here is the statement Ryanair counter released and it seems to have all blown over?

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr...y=gen-en-140206

To be honest i doubt if many people were surprised by the BBC programme. Shocked regarding ripping off the old man perhaps? Foxtons will "sack" a few staff i.e. move them to another office, pay of anyone who could incriminate them and unfortunately many of their customers may be oblivious to the news and not even have seen the programme.

To be honest i doubt if many people were surprised by the BBC programme.

I totally agree while it was good to see all it did was confirm what most people think of estate agents/

Edited by gilf

Not in the news, but here are some more views on foxtons

http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/70/c...me/Foxtons.html

I don't belive it should be left at this either. Tell as many people as possible about foxtons, keep all news clippings and reports to show how bad they are. What about posting these details to people who are presently selling through foxtons. They should'nt be allowed to get away with it and the company should be buried for good.

I don't know if it matters so much about what's in the news, it's what Joe Public is saying on the street that matters. I'm in an office on my own today :( what are people saying in busier workplaces, are they discussing it?

Guest ex alexander hall employee

I know plenty of people who work at Alexander Hall and their feedback is that this morning at work was 'very interesting'. Also the Foxtons 'move monkeys' who spend all day calling people up to agree to valuations have been getting massive abuse and the phone slammed down on them.

In their morning meeting they were told to 'talk up the positives' - to say that all they were really guilty of is trying to get the best prices for vendors (with simmering). The real shame is that quite a few will buy this.

Fun indeed, but I really don't see there being a truly significant and lasting effect on the company, not without a genuine HPC happening anyway.

I know plenty of people who work at Alexander Hall and their feedback is that this morning at work was 'very interesting'. Also the Foxtons 'move monkeys' who spend all day calling people up to agree to valuations have been getting massive abuse and the phone slammed down on them.

In their morning meeting they were told to 'talk up the positives' - to say that all they were really guilty of is trying to get the best prices for vendors (with simmering). The real shame is that quite a few will buy this.

Fun indeed, but I really don't see there being a truly significant and lasting effect on the company, not without a genuine HPC happening anyway.

The biggest problem here was the breaching of the Chinese Wall between AH and Foxtons. This cannot go uninvestigated.

The biggest problem here was the breaching of the Chinese Wall between AH and Foxtons. This cannot go uninvestigated.

I agree that is scandalous and the FSA should investigate. However my own experience there, of 2 and a half years, that NEVER happened that I was aware of. You can believe me or not but I was genuinely shocked - most of the people I got on well with at AH had a 'simmering' distain for Foxtons. They made our job harder and were just as pushy toward mortgage brokers as applicants and I imagine vendors.

It was always a pleasure to politely tell EAs to p1ss off if they wanted 'the maximum the applicant can go up to' . I'm not saying that it never happened - the evidence was all too clear last night, but I don't think it's systematic.

Not sure if Gmtv counts as news, but you may have missed that I posted at 6.15-20am this morning that the Whistleblower investigative journalist & an NAEA spokesman were interviewed on the couch in a long spot of at least 5 mins,

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=26476

1 page on their website http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=19709

Online poll -Should estate agents be better regulated? vote online here http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=19709...d=788&pollpos=1

Not sure if Gmtv counts as news, but you may have missed that I posted at 6.15-20am this morning that the Whistleblower investigative journalist & an NAEA spokesman were interviewed on the couch in a long spot of at least 5 mins,

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=26476

1 page on their website http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=19709

Online poll -Should estate agents be better regulated? vote online here http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=19709...d=788&pollpos=1

wow I wonder which way that poll will go :D

Simple reason why there's nothing in the press today, the programme went out at 9.00pm and, to quote the Times' review "no preview tapes were available, presuambly because the BBC's libel lawyers had spent so long without sleep that they were starting to hear voices"

There simply wasn't time to get an article written and filed.

Is there any way of finding out the viewing figures? The programme was well advertised, I saw quite few trailers on BBC 1, it was on the breakfast programme, I heard it on Johnny Walker's drive time on Radio 2 and then it was mentioned on Watchdog (by the way they said on Watchdog that it was the number of complaints about Estate Agents to them that prompted the programme).

Hmmm, I watch too much TV!

I agree that is scandalous and the FSA should investigate.

What if the person who who was buying for £250K but could, according to Alexander Hall, afford £285, came out of the woodwork? No names were mentioned but...and really, I am asking for a friend, she's an accountant and too busy to do this!

Is there any way of finding out the viewing figures? The programme was well advertised, I saw quite few trailers on BBC 1, it was on the breakfast programme, I heard it on Johnny Walker's drive time on Radio 2 and then it was mentioned on Watchdog (by the way they said on Watchdog that it was the number of complaints about Estate Agents to them that prompted the programme).

Hmmm, I watch too much TV!

From Broadcast:

BBC1's Whistleblower attracts 4.4m

Jon Rogers

22 March 2006 11:01

BBC1's Whistleblower documentary had the edge over ITV1's drama The Best Man with 4.4 million (18.8%).

The corporation's 60-minute expose of dodgy estate agent practises managed to grow its audience up from 4.2 million (17.9%) to 4.6 million (20%) in the final 15-minutes.

It had 700,000 more viewers than the conclusion of ITV1's drama The Best Man. The 90-minute finale lost 1.1 million viewers from Monday's opening episode to average a lacklustre 3.7 million (16.8%).

The 9pm slot witnessed a closely fought fight between all of the terrestrial broadasters. The commercial network had both BBC2 and Five snapping at its heels. The conclusion of BBC2's Jimmy's Farm at 9pm had 3.5 million (14.9%) over 60-minutes while CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, in the same slot, managed 3.4 million (14.5%).

Bringing up the rear was Channel 4's The Games: Live with 2.1 million (9%).

It was a poor night for ITV1 with its only peaktime programme to break the 4 million mark was Emmerdale at 7pm with 8.5 million (39.5%) for 30-minutes. Celebrity Fit Club at 8pm got a meagre 3.4 million (14.6%) while its news update at 10.30pm had 2 million (13.1%). Across the whole of peaktime (7pm to 10.30pm) the network only had a share of 18.9%. Over the same time period BBC1 gained 27.1%.

BBC1's strong drama line-up snared the viewers. EastEnders at 7.30pm had 10.2 million (45%). Holby City at 8pm took 7 million (30%).

BBC2 was also on form at 7.30pm with its coverage of the Commonwealth Games. The 90-minute programme gained a strong 2.6 million (11.2%), rising to 2.9 million (12.2%) in the final 15-minutes.

C4's You Are What You Eat at 8pm took 2.4 million (10.1%) followed by It's Me or the Dog, 30-minutes later, with 2.7 million (11.3%). Five's repeat of Build a New Life in the Country at 8pm managed 1.1 million (4.4%).

All-hours shares for Tuesday 21 March 2006: BBC1 - 23.7%, ITV1 - 17.7%, BBC2 - 11.4%, C4 - 10.2%, Five - 6.4%, multichannel - 30.7%.

Peaktime (7pm to 10.30pm): BBC1 - 27.1%, ITV1 - 18.9%, BBC2 - 11.3%, Five - 8%, C4 - 7.9%, multichannel - 26.8%.

It could just slowly disappear and peoples memories are short......

Yes, I remember a similar program about fraudulent self-cert mortgages which was aired a few years ago. The journo went into several EAs around Ealing (West London) and found all these agents encouraging people to lie on self-cert documents.

Anyway, I think a few people lost their jobs but nobody was charged with fraud. And now the whole self-cert issue has gone very quiet...

Asking for a friend - not sure what you are asking, could you clarify please?

Should she report them to the FSA?

Not for me to say if she should report them, I don't actually harbour any grudge toward AH and don't have an axe to grind.

What was shown last night does breach the data protection act and the Alexander Hall terms of business - that they disclose to clients and require them to sign. If (and this is the major point) she can PROVE that this happened, there would be a case. Are you saying that your friend may be the person referred to in the programme?