House Price Crash Forum

Gordons Budget Breakdown

HOLA441
HOLA442

Tax, tax, and more tax. :(

I always switch off during the budget. I can't watch him stand there and deliver a pack of lies. As a 20-something singleton, Brown has done absolutely NOTHING for me except raise taxes over the course of 9 years and 10 budgets. I will never vote for this pack of thieves ever again.

Edited by Van

HOLA443

Tax, tax, and more tax. :(

I always switch off during the budget. I can't watch him stand there and deliver a pack of lies. As a 20-something singleton, Brown has done absolutely NOTHING for me except raise taxes over the course of 9 years and 10 budgets. I will never vote for this pack of thieves ever again.

likewise for me,my only defence against it was to contract myself out and reduce my tax burden that way.

...saying that,even that was not immune from the grasp.IR35 was a bugger!

.....but who's gonna get pummelled tomorrow and what with???

My guess is for some rather sneaky property based taxes(possibly removing the discount on multi-home council tax altogether)

,maybe tinkering with the stamp duty percentage.

...and the obvious freeze on IHT thresholds.

HOLA444

Ok so it's a bit premature,but what are folks expecting from tomorrows budget???

Please feel free to post the facts on here when the event happens!!!

1. Abandon tax credits!

That alone should save enough money to cover his deficit!

HOLA445

It is a near certainty that a "simmer"tax will be imposed on Foxtons and the scale charge on their Minis be increased

The money raised will provide affordable housing.

HOLA446

The 0% Stamp Duty threshold to be raised to £200k from £120k?

Significant increase of the IHT threshold?

That's what the pundit on C4 News said anyway...

Stamp duty will be raised by 10K tops!

IHT is already due to go up this year.

How about a tax on donations loans made to parties?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

He will without a shadow of a doubt ...... totally abolish the duty on alcohol ...... when the shit hits the fan, the masses will be much easier to fool, manipulate and control when they're all pissed :D

Both drinking and driving were about the most revenue positive things for any chancellor - unfortunately hitting a tree is about the most revenue negative.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The one stealth tax he hasn't raised so far is VAT................

Raising VAT is far less noticable than raising income tax........so if not this year this will his next line of attack.............

VAT is a european tax and is a bit detached from his personal power.

HOLA4413

I can never understand why the TV licensing system isn't scrapped & incorporated into mainstream taxes (like in Australia maties/poms!).

So much money is wasted every year administering that system (I believe it's at least 30% of the license fee that is used to administer the system). And I am offended when I hear radio adverts and see TV adverts telling us the penalty for not having a license etc. So license payers pay to be advertised back to tell them to pay or else.

What a stupid waste of money. Those public servants could be better employed shuffling the mountain of paperwork the govt has created in other services.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

likewise for me,my only defence against it was to contract myself out and reduce my tax burden that way.

...saying that,even that was not immune from the grasp.IR35 was a bugger!

.....but who's gonna get pummelled tomorrow and what with???

My guess is for some rather sneaky property based taxes(possibly removing the discount on multi-home council tax altogether)

,maybe tinkering with the stamp duty percentage.

...and the obvious freeze on IHT thresholds.

You got hit by IR35? Unlucky :(

Fingers crossed that one doesn't come my way...

HOLA4418

I can never understand why the TV licensing system isn't scrapped & incorporated into mainstream taxes (like in Australia maties/poms!).

Because the Australian system is an (even more) politically compromised mess, Howard has the public broadcasters directly by the balls and he's squeezing, hence the cut in budget and closure of many new digital services.

Putting HM Treasury directly in control of Beeb finances is just asking for trouble. Annoy the government and your budget gets cut.