House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zaranna

"ea Lies Caught On Film" - Advance Review Of Bbc1 Prog

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2095640,00.html

Estate agent ‘lies’ caught on film

By Devika Bhat

TV investigators have exposed potentially illegal sales practices

ESTATE agents have been exposed engaging in unethical and potentially illegal practices, including putting forward false offers to vendors, misleading surveyors and faking signatures on key documents.

Footage in a BBC programme, due to be broadcast tonight, even shows one estate agent supplying an undercover reporter — posing as a potential buyer — with a false British passport in exchange for £750, in order to apply for a mortgage.

Whistleblower will be shown on BBC One at 9pm.

-----------

Edited to say: hey, why does the forum automatically change capitals and lower case around in titles to threads? So that EA becomes ea and so on. Very annoying - I can spell, really :angry:

Estate agents as a breed should be culled regularly, preferably by the Roman means of decimation. They are a pestilence whose numbers can never be too few. Eradication should be the aim but in any capitalist society that is unfortunately as likely as rose smelling crap.

An appropriate collective noun for these perfidious amoral scavengers might be 'a Dorian Gray of estate agents'.

Bastards stiffed me for 15,000 GBP.

Yes, not so long your average estate agent appearing on a TV game show would get booed and hissed at like a tax man by the studio audience. May that day return soon.

I would say that the EA business is 80% ROTTEN and 20% Good. The good percentage I believe would WELCOME regulation. I am also sure that that 20% also have issues with some of the practices at their branch.

Lets not forget, a lot of this behaviour is passed down from the owners and can turn a normally DECENT person into a complete and utter tw@t. I know of a person who was an EA and got out of the trade about 6 years ago because of the corruption and deceipt.

God help the EA that eventually gets my business. I will have them in tears :)

I'm like a blocked toilet ........ I take no shit!

TB

Edited by teddyboy

Timely, but rather like a nature programme that tells you alligators have nasty pointed teeth, scaly backs and a long tail.

Do they really? I never knew that!

Well, I'm shocked :o (can you tell? ;) )

Edited by libitina

Yes, not so long your average estate agent appearing on a TV game show would get booed and hissed at like a tax man by the studio audience. May that day return soon.

Is the time coming when all those old "lawyer jokes" get recycled?

Billy Shears

Lets not forget, a lot of this behaviour is passed down from the owners and can turn a normally DECENT person into a complete and utter tw@t. I know of a person who was an EA and got out of the trade about 6 years ago because of the corruption and deceipt.

Anecdotes?

Billy Shears

I went in to my local EA in Huddersfield three days ago to browse. I asked how things were and they said houses going reallly fast. I have just got back from town and popped in again keeping out of the cold whilst the wife was in the supermarket and the same EA was on the phone to a seller maoning about lack of interest and he said 'Well it is really quite at the moment'

WTF the lying two faced ba5tard....

Edited by eurows

I went in to my local EA in Huddersfield three days ago to browse. I asked how things were and they said houses going reallly fast. I have just got back from town and popped in again keeping out of the cold whilst the wife was in the supermarket and the same EA was on the phone to a seller maoning about lack of interest and he said 'Well it is really quite at the moment'

This reminds me of something published in Private Eye some time ago. Two people living together, one man and one woman, applied to the same dating service at the same time. Both received letters back. The man's letter said that "we are in the unusual situation of having more women than men on our books in your area". The woman's letter said "we are in the unusual situation of having more men than women on our books in your area".

Knowing the standard BS lines, such as "houses are flying off the shelves at the moment", does help somewhat.

Billy Shears

Seriously, what were you expecting them to say??!!!

The truth? It might actually work. "Houses are selling really slowly, so you might be able to make offers below the asking price."

Billy Shears

Guest Riser

What a coincidence - Don't worry about tonights programme this new code will sort out the EA sharks

BBC - Estate agency code gets thumbs up

A code of practice to govern the estate agency industry has gained approval from the competition watchdog, the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).

The OFT only approves codes which it deems to offer greater consumer protection than is available under law.

The Ombudsman for Estate Agency (OEA) scheme can award compensation to buyers or sellers of property if it finds they have been badly treated.

However, at present, only four in 10 UK estate agents are scheme members.

But this will increase to nearly seven in 10 in April when the scheme is joined by all members of the National Association of Estate Agents...............

If it was me and I wanted to close a sale I would probably say "It's a buyers market at the moment..now is a good time to get a deal...this one has been on the books for a while and I think they would take a 10% discount. Shall I arrange viewing?"

What EA's don't seem to understand is that you don't close a deal by pricing your goods higher than someone elses. I don't buy a tin of beans from Sainsbury's because it is 5p dearer than Tesco.

Go into a car showroom. What would you do if the salesman had a car priced £1000 dearer than the showroom down the road and said "oh.. they are flying off the forecourt at the moment"? How many do you think they would sell?

There is a road near me. One house was up for sale at £160K about 2 years ago (?). It didn't sell. They changed EA's and put it up for £182K - it still hasn't sold. In the last two months about 6 other identical houses on the same road have come up for sale. Asking price approx £220K. THEY CAN'T SEEL AT £160K SO WHO IS GOING TO BUY THEM AT £220K.

Is it any wonder EA's are not considered the brightest people?

The best thing an EA could do now is start pricing realistically - refuse to market overpriced sh1te - and start the market moving again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4826444.stm

Reading this, it is with sadness and anger that I realise my friend has been fleeced by Foxtons and Alexander Hall. This has to be another target of protest, much like the Rightmove scandal, by directly supporting a campaign that provides better regulation and transparency of home sales. Come Wednesday, this expose cannot be forgotten as yesterdays news. I shall be writing to various bodies. However, the way I feel now, I want to be part of a concerted effort that makes these shysters realise that they have a thorn in their side.

I am so delighted that it is Foxtons who are being targeted by this documentary.

They are utter slimeballs and criminals. They are almost single handedly responsible for hyping prices in London and conning people into borrowing more than they can afford.

I would love it if they went bust.

Anyone remember the old Spitting Image song?

"Kill an estate agent today

Strangled with his old school tie

..."

Can't remember the rest. I so wish they'd bring back that program...

Hoping this is explosive however think it will just be a damp squid. :(

I don't think it will be a damp squib - look at the programme preview on the good ol' BBC web site. Nice avatar.

I am so delighted that it is Foxtons who are being targeted by this documentary.

They are utter slimeballs and criminals. They are almost single handedly responsible for hyping prices in London and conning people into borrowing more than they can afford.

I would love it if they went bust.

I would prefer it if the founder got put in prison, from the article on the BBC he sounds like a complete c**t!!

I don't think it will be a damp squib - look at the programme preview on the good ol' BBC web site. Nice avatar.

I will be suprised if this programme gets shown, I feel a change in the programme shedule

due to unforseen circumstances coming on.

If it is aired it will show how prices are being overvalued and will put a lot of people off who may be considering buying, this being the busiest time of year for housing transactions.

Anyone remember the old Spitting Image song?

"Kill an estate agent today

Strangled with his old school tie

..."

Can't remember the rest. I so wish they'd bring back that program...

Fry and Laurie put it best:

[Long intro where the misunderstand one another]

Stephen: Oh yes. Fridges. Like them or loathe them, you

can't ignore them. Everyone's talking about them.

Whether you're buying or selling a property,

sooner or later you'll come in contact with a

fridge. Their commission is an important part of

your house budget -

Hugh: Estate agents. You're talking about estate agents.

Stephen: Estate agents. You can't live with them, you can't

live with them. The first sign of these nasty,

purulent sores appeared round about 1894. With

their jangling keys, nasty suits, revolting beards,

moustaches and tinted spectacles, estate agents

roam the land causing perturbation and despair.

If you try and kill them, you're put in prison: if

you try and talk to them, you vomit. There's only

one thing worse than an estate agent but at least

that can be safely lanced, drained and surgically

dressed. Estate agents. Love them or loathe them,

you'd be mad not to loathe them.

Hugh : That's better.

Full text at http://www.geocities.com/mmemym/bits1/fal0023.htm for those who are interested.

AB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4826444.stm

Reading this, it is with sadness and anger that I realise my friend has been fleeced by Foxtons and Alexander Hall. This has to be another target of protest, much like the Rightmove scandal, by directly supporting a campaign that provides better regulation and transparency of home sales. Come Wednesday, this expose cannot be forgotten as yesterdays news. I shall be writing to various bodies. However, the way I feel now, I want to be part of a concerted effort that makes these shysters realise that they have a thorn in their side.

I've added a comment to this, but I doubt it'll get published as I mentioned house price crash and the 90's ;)