House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bob2

Viewing Houses

Been viewing some places recently and am shocked at how little effort most sellers put in, despite the fact that they are expecting the purchaser to give them hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Examples…

• Parents who had let their kids cover various walls and doors in the house with graffiti not even bothering to slap on a quick coat of paint to cover it up.
  • Lazy husband sprawled on the sofa in his underwear while we were shown around by his wife. He could have at least put some clothes on!
  • A woman who insisted on squeezing back past us at every opportunity to turn off the light in each room we’d viewed, presumably to save a few pennies in electricity. If she’s so tight that she couldn’t leave them on until we’d left imagine negotiating a price with her!

And estate agents aren’t much better. If you were thinking about buying a £100,000 sports car the dealership would probably shower you with hospitality – yet when you try to by a house for several hundred thousand pounds you get treated like dirt.

Been viewing some places recently and am shocked at how little effort most sellers put in............And estate agents aren’t much better.

You know what to do, take your business elsewhere.

Welcome to the murky world of house buying.

I don't trust EAs, and never will (one reason why I think HIPs are a good idea). One thing I might do when I eventually buy is put my offer in writing directly to the vendor. The EA won't like it, but at least the vendor will read why I made that particular offer!

I don't trust EAs, and never will (one reason why I think HIPs are a good idea). One thing I might do when I eventually buy is put my offer in writing directly to the vendor. The EA won't like it, but at least the vendor will read why I made that particular offer!

I will do the same but have wondered if there is anything that is meant to stop/prevent you from putting your offer direct to the vendor rather than via the Estate Agent? If not why don't more people ensure that their offer is delivered, and delivered accurately, to the vendor?

Genuine question:

EA's don't get paid a thing until a house completes, so am slightly puzzled why so many people seem to think EA's don't pass offers on to the vendor? Offers are what EA's work towards so to not pass them on to the seller is just madness. No offers - no sale. No sale - no money!

Genuine question:

EA's don't get paid a thing until a house completes, so am slightly puzzled why so many people seem to think EA's don't pass offers on to the vendor? Offers are what EA's work towards so to not pass them on to the seller is just madness. No offers - no sale. No sale - no money!

I think the only situation where an EA would benefit from not putting an offer forwards is if they personally knew someone who wanted to buy the house for less..... and possibly offers the EA a backhander.

Sounds crazy but the whole system is open to such abuse. And relying on weasels like the average EA not to rob you blind is not a good move.

I think they must sell their souls when they sign their employment contracts.

I think the only situation where an EA would benefit from not putting an offer forwards is if they personally knew someone who wanted to buy the house for less..... and possibly offers the EA a backhander.

I have a friend with a large BTL portfolio who does exactly this. An old school pal of his happens to be his local EA and he gets a lot of good deals on houses in return for the odd backhander.

It's not what you know...

What have HIPs to do with trusting EAs?

HIPs are going to be great for buyers who want a lot less choice in the market accompanied by higher prices. This is why most Estate Agents (who, like it or not, probably know a bit more about the ins and outs of house buying than you or me) are dead set against HIPs. They KNOW what is going to happen. Lots less property on the market. Move competition to get instructions. Less commission all round.

Sounds crazy but the whole system is open to such abuse. And relying on weasels like the average EA not to rob you blind is not a good move.

Unless they know that the vendor will not accept an offer, possibly because the EA talked up how much the property might sell for when trying to get the vendor's business. It may be better to have no offers rather than offers much less than the vendor's expectations.

Billy Shears

Having worked in this business for over 10 years i can genuinely say i have never personally heard of anybody taking a backhander.

I agree that there a some shocking EA's out there and much of the industry would love to be regulated so that these elements can be eliminated, however, i think that to suggest EA's taking backhanders is common is not a true representation. Not saying it doesn't go on, and that is inexcusable but i don't believe it is as widespead as some make out. imho.

What have HIPs to do with trusting EAs?

Quite - not much at all!

You know what to do, take your business elsewhere.

A good suggestion if the house you want is one of several identical houses on an estate or is on the market with multiple agents. Otherwise, you have little choice if the house you want is on the market with an obnoxious agent. Homes are not commodities (although BTLs often are).

Having worked in this business for over 10 years i can genuinely say i have never personally heard of anybody taking a backhander.

I'm sure like me you won't want to miss BBC One at 9pm tonight then ..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2095640,00.html

Estate agent ‘lies’ caught on film

By Devika Bhat

TV investigators have exposed potentially illegal sales practices

ESTATE agents have been exposed engaging in unethical and potentially illegal practices, including putting forward false offers to vendors, misleading surveyors and faking signatures on key documents.

Footage in a BBC programme, due to be broadcast tonight, even shows one estate agent supplying an undercover reporter — posing as a potential buyer — with a false British passport in exchange for £750, in order to apply for a mortgage.

The revelations come on the same day that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) sets up a code of practice for estate agents, aimed at ensuring that buyers and sellers get a fair deal and are less likely to be duped by maverick agencies. The programme, Whistleblower, shows two reporters who worked undercover in estate agents across London over a four-month period.

During the investigation, they are shown to have witnessed unscrupulous activities, including agents lying to surveyors about the value of other properties that had sold in an area, so that buyers would potentially pay more than they should. In another instance, buyers are encouraged by an agency to sign up to a firm of financial advisers, who pass their apparently confidential financial details back to the agency so that they can see how much clients can be pushed to spend on properties.

The agent who is shown providing a fake passport to an undercover reporter, is also filmed supplying other false documents to aid with the mortgage application, a service for which he accepts a separate cash payment.

Employees also describe how sellers can be lured to sign up to an agency with the promise of a high asking price, only to be subsequently encouraged to lower their expectations following false low bids placed by the agents.

Agents are also shown lying to vendors about real bids, initially lowering their value so that the seller is led to believe that they have gained a good deal when the true price of the bid is eventually quoted.

In an illegal practice, an agent is shown acknowledging instances of flyboarding — putting up “For Sale” posters at properties not actually on the agency’s books. Elsewhere, an agent claims he can sell a property to a developer — one of the whistleblowers — at a price much lower than its actual value, in exchange for a personal payment of £10,000.

Anna Adams, one of the reporters involved in the investigation, said: “I found the practices used by some estate agents really shocking. Clients are often paying them thousands of pounds in fees so this brings into question whether agents really are acting in their clients’ best interests.”

An OFT spokeswoman said that unfair and unethical practice within the industry was prominent and well-known. “For many people it is the biggest transaction of their lives and if it goes wrong, it can go horribly wrong. There are plenty of horror stories that we have heard about,” she told The Times.

Whistleblower will be shown on BBC One at 9pm.

I'm sure like me you won't want to miss BBC One at 9pm tonight then ..

Definitely not!!

Especially as it involves Foxton's who are despised by the industry as a whole!!

I would desperately love the industry to be regulated so that elements like those described by the BBC programme can be eliminated. Do people really think that 100% 0f all agents are like this?? I hope not but from what i read i fear i may be disappointed...

I know someone who said that they were viewing a house and there were photos up on the wall showing the owners involved in S&M. Explicit ones.

Billy Shears

Definitely not!!

Especially as it involves Foxton's who are despised by the industry as a whole!!

I would desperately love the industry to be regulated so that elements like those described by the BBC programme can be eliminated. Do people really think that 100% 0f all agents are like this?? I hope not but from what i read i fear i may be disappointed...

It's true, 98% of estate agents give the rest a bad name.

Billy Shears

Definitely not!!

Out of the ten estate agents I've viewed houses with in the last month or so .. I think I would trust two or maybe three. I'm sure not all estate agents are untrustworthy but some of the stunts they have tried to pull have been incredible!

You can add comments to the BBC News article on the Whistle Blower Program here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4826444.stm

It's true, 98% of estate agents give the rest a bad name.

Billy Shears

I'm sorry to hear that is your experience. You're basing this on....

I find the biggest problem is that EA's seem to be trained to give you the answer you expect or want to hear rather than the truth.

When viewing houses, I have not met one that has not lied to me. Even over the smallest details, you can often tell by their answers and body language. If they are lying over the small details, just to give you a quick answer that you want to hear and they know you can never check up on, how can you ever trust them when making the biggest purchase of your life.

I'm sorry to hear that is your experience. You're basing this on....

It was a joke. I unsuccessfully tried to get a thread running where lawyer jokes were translated into estate agent jokes. This was one of the lawyer jokes on a page I looked at.

I have had run ins with estate agents pulling tricks. Last time I moved I had to argue for hours to get my deposit back. My ex-landlord was sitting next to me arguing my case.

Billy Shears

you can use a shabby house to your advantage - knock off more money....

personally i wouldnt mind painting the walls myself, and fitting my own carpets... I dont need a pristine house to get me watering at the mouth.......and cheque book ready......Theres no snob in me.

It was a joke. I unsuccessfully tried to get a thread running where lawyer jokes were translated into estate agent jokes. This was one of the lawyer jokes on a page I looked at.

Ah. Sorry! :)

personally i wouldnt mind painting the walls myself, and fitting my own carpets... I dont need a pristine house to get me watering at the mouth.......and cheque book ready......Theres no snob in me.

Seconded. I'd much prefer something that is livable and not falling apart. I can paint the walls shocking pink with green stripes at my leisure.

Billy Shears