House Price Crash Forum

Blt Trouble In Bath

HOLA441

I was talking to a chap in the office this morning. He is looking to invest some money in property. We have had a couple of chats and he was in general agreement that things were not too good.

Anyway, he had a chat with an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) over the weekend. Apparently this advisor said that the BTL market in Bath was saturated. Many had just got too greedy (something said on here a few times before). It was not the small investor either, but people with 20 - 30 properties that had been out on a spending spree!! Many now have empty properties. The IFA believed that some are likely to go bust this year, which could dump dozens of properties back on the market.

Cheered me up no end!

Here's my graph that kinda back this up.

Ba1rentMar.jpg

EDIT: Close the sandwich shop :D

post-1956-1142890200.jpg

Edited by FTBagain

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The other thing that the IFA said was that if he invested in Bristol he would have to be very careful and my collegue might get lucky, depending on the area he invested. A bit of a gamble to say the least.

Basically two English cities are not in good shape housing market wise.

I told my collegue he was probably better off waiting, and he sort of agreed. But the gist of the IFA advise was that the housing market is not a good place to put your money.

If a few more of these people are saying the same thing........

HOLA447

I was talking to a chap in the office this morning. He is looking to invest some money in property. We have had a couple of chats and he was in general agreement that things were not too good.

Anyway, he had a chat with an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) over the weekend. Apparently this advisor said that the BLT market in Bath was saturated. Many had just got too greedy (something said on here a few times before). It was not the small invest either, but people with 20 - 30 properties that had been out on a spending spree!! Many now have empty properties. The IFA believed that some are likely to go bust this year, which could dump dozens of properties back on the market.

Cheered me up no end!

Ba1rentMar.jpg

I just found out my favourite lunchtime sandwich shop is closing next week. :(

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

As someone who was a homeowner in the last crash, I really wonder if the "it's different this time" mantra is true, but in a good way (for us :D ).

Those of us sinking slowly into negative equity (I was that boiled frog) didn't really have any options open to us. I was able to meet my payments easily, but was trapped. Downward price pressure came from single repossessions, and huge reductions on the price of new builds.

Today these BTL barons can surely only take so much pain. It'll only take a few rental voids, IR hikes and the whiff of price drops, and we could see whole portfolios being dumped. It's possible that things could actually pan out MUCH faster than the last crash, simply because BTL properties are an investment, rather than a home.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

As someone who was a homeowner in the last crash, I really wonder if the "it's different this time" mantra is true, but in a good way (for us :D ).

Those of us sinking slowly into negative equity (I was that boiled frog) didn't really have any options open to us. I was able to meet my payments easily, but was trapped. Downward price pressure came from single repossessions, and huge reductions on the price of new builds.

Today these BTL barons can surely only take so much pain. It'll only take a few rental voids, IR hikes and the whiff of price drops, and we could see whole portfolios being dumped. It's possible that things could actually pan out MUCH faster than the last crash, simply because BTL properties are an investment, rather than a home.

If a couple go at the same time then their creditors will hack the prices to get a quick sale. It could well pan out the way you describe, only time will tell.

Edited by FTBagain

HOLA4413

Depends how long the investors can hold out.

I suspect it'll unwind in reverse.... a last in first out scenario.

Generally the last BTLs into the market will have the lowest yields (if any after costs), and are the most susceptible to price falls and other losses.

But these are the same people who bought right at the top of a historically high market (Stupid people), and their stupidity may enable them to hold on and stem the losses for a little longer than any sane person would.

Stupid people don't like capitalising losses... that would make them look stupid :blink:

When it does unwind I expect it'll be a small trickle for a month or two followed by a big bang as they all try and run for the exits.

HOLA4414

Anyway, he had a chat with an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) over the weekend. Apparently this advisor said that the BTL market in Bath was saturated. Many had just got too greedy (something said on here a few times before). It was not the small investor either, but people with 20 - 30 properties that had been out on a spending spree!! Many now have empty properties. The IFA believed that some are likely to go bust this year, which could dump dozens of properties back on the market.

Cheered me up no end!

Ba1rentMar.jpg

EDIT: Close the sandwich shop :D

I lived in Bath and moved to Chippenham because I could rent a nicer property for the same money and be closer to work hence save money on petrol. I really miss Bath though.

I saw my financial advisor a few weeks ago too. He said that it was not a good time to buy. He said that if something could make a lot of money then it could loose a lot of money too be it stocks and shares or a house.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I lived in Bath and moved to Chippenham because I could rent a nicer property for the same money and be closer to work hence save money on petrol. I really miss Bath though.

I saw my financial advisor a few weeks ago too. He said that it was not a good time to buy. He said that if something could make a lot of money then it could loose a lot of money too be it stocks and shares or a house.

Chippenham is a dive to go out in though, BUT you do have good rail links to Bath (next stop) and Swindon (Old town is good). Chippenham is cheaper than Bath and Swindon though. How long you been in Chipp?

You are lucky to have a decent FA.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Chippenham is a dive to go out in though, BUT you do have good rail links to Bath (next stop) and Swindon (Old town is good). Chippenham is cheaper than Bath and Swindon though. How long you been in Chipp?

You are lucky to have a decent FA.

I know. That was a big reason for me moving and why I got myself a place close to the train station. Last train back is at eleven though. A taxi from Moles club to Chippenham at 2 in the morning is £25 but you have to pre book. Although I haven't been out in Bath since I moved a month ago. I also go to the gym in Chippenham. Seems like I was spending all my money driving to and from Chippenham just for the privilege of being able to go out for a good night on the lash once in a blue moon. Of course if you fancy a pint in Bath discussing the fall of the housing market and hence civilisation as we know it that could all change? Followed by a cheeky cocktail in the Rat and Parrot! By that time the way ahead should be clear.

The FSA happens to be my mate’s dad. They live in Cardiff. I wouldn’t have entertained the idea of getting one if I didn’t know he was 110% trustworthy. He gets very upset about these ‘cowboys’ that give bad advice for their own personal gain. We are also both guitarists. An appointment with him takes forever because every time he touches his keyboard to go to a fund’s web page or something he invariably ends up going to a site that shows you how to play rockabilly on a Gretch. Last time I went to see him about moving my saving account I was with him for 4 hours!

One other thing just occured to me. My mate lived in Bath in the last housing boom. It was a BTL. He came home one day and his locks had been changed and all his stuff repossesed. His BTL landlord hadn't been paying the mortgage and had buried his head in the sand. He ended up commuting to work from his parents' place in Ringwood for a couple weeks. It sounded like a complete nightmare!

Edited by SCUMBAG