House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfectionist

What Is Your Electricity Bill ..... ?

I live in a fairly average 3 bed flat ..... all electric ...... my leccy bill is about £120 a month which I thought was frikkin high already .....

But since December I'm paying over twice that ..... YUP £250 a month .... WTF !!!

What is everone else paying here ???

Is there any way my meter is faulty ...... or can someone steal leccy from me ???

I live in a fairly average 3 bed flat ..... all electric ...... my leccy bill is about £120 a month which I thought was frikkin high already .....

But since December I'm paying over twice that ..... YUP £250 a month .... WTF !!!

Is there any way my meter is faulty ...... or can someone steal leccy from me ???

Both, just about. However it's pretty unlikely. Have you checked the readings that your electricity company are basing the bill on?

If they're correct, then that is very high indeed- I thought my tenner a week was excessive, and all my heating and hot water is electric, no gas here. Have a look at the meter and see how the wheel is spinning (or if it's a modern one like mine, how fast the LED is flashing). If you really are using loads, then make sure that you haven't got a heater left on somewhere, or the immersion heater on permanently etc.

9 times out of 10 a faulty leccy meter will actualy reduce your bills not raise them! I would start by turning all your everyday appliances off (and check emersion like Rave suggested) after turning everthing off see if the wheel on the meter is still moving. You could have a faulty appliance or a general fault to earth. For what this is costing you a month it may be worth getting a spark in to do all the checking for you - it could pay within a month!

I take it you have electric night storage heaters, so I suspect as you nodoubt have been using them daily this last three months, your meters are not faulty, its just your electric consumption is up.

I'm in a three bed town house, and the water and central heating is gas fired. I monitor energy costs on a monthly basis. And the last three months KW consumption has sky rocketed on 500% compared to when we are only heating water in the summer months. Of course my electric KW consumption is the same as in the summer months, because the demand is constant winter and summer.

I am all electric and Powergen just sent me a bill for £127 for 2 months worth of electric, they messed up on the billing date as it should be quarterly so i got another little bill coming in April, according to the breakdown of the bill 80% of the bill was heating costs, when it gets warmer and the heaters can stay off i should get much lower bills, hopefully if i have done me sums right it should average about £40 a month in energy costs.

If you really are using loads, then make sure that you haven't got a heater left on somewhere, or the immersion heater on permanently etc.

My Immersion water heater is on permanently so do i just switch it on/off when i want hot water then?.

I take it you have electric night storage heaters, so I suspect as you nodoubt have been using them daily this last three months, your meters are not faulty, its just your electric consumption is up.

Should the night storage heaters be left on all the time?, i only have the lounge and bedroom heater on, the way i understand it is if you do not leave them on you will not get any heat the next night.

Any advice on best ways to use the night storage heaters and immersion water heater much appreciated.

@Mark5290 - you shouldn't ever leave your emersion on - only use when normally heated water has run out!

Also has anyone seen how much this guy is spending a MONTH? £250 is a hell of a lot of electricity!!

@Mark5290 - you shouldn't ever leave your emersion on - only use when normally heated water has run out!

Also has anyone seen how much this guy is spending a MONTH? £250 is a hell of a lot of electricity!!

immersion is his normal and only way of heating his water if he is all electric :rolleyes:

Mark,

how you use the immersion heater depends on your hot water requirements. Say you want hot water from your taps first thing in the morning and when you get in on an evening, then it's best to have it switch on via a timer a couple of hours before you need it. Leaving it on all day means it be more expensive as it will keep all the water in the tank hot to whatever the immersion heater stat is set too. This will keep kicking in to keep the water up to temp, how oft this happens depends how well the tank is insulated. Modern tanks come already insulated, old tanks have a lagging jacket wrapped around them.

As for your night storage heaters, you have to leave them on all night because they run on "Off Peak" electricity that is supplied at a lower cost rate via a seperate meter, as they are charged up during the late night/ early morning time period. You can usually control the heat input and output to some degree, but basically night storage heaters are crap as far as heating economically. LL's like em because they don't need servicing, cheaper to install than gas central heating, plus its the tenant that foots the lecy bills.

Our averaged gas/electric usage will be ball park £881 fixed till Jan 2008, which averages out at £17 a week. [i work from home, so there is always somebody in all day] Full gas central heating with an electric shower, and we have to dry all our washing via an electric tumble dryer as there is no garden to hang out washing. As its to posh around here to put it out on the balcony :)

My Immersion water heater is on permanently so do i just switch it on/off when i want hot water then?.

My hot water is all electric- two immersion heaters in the hot water tank. When I first moved into this flat I got my uncle to unwire the immersion heaters from the wall and wire in a four way splitter instead. Then I can plug in one or both of the immersion heaters via a simple plug in timer. It's a bit jerry rigged and probably not recommended from an electical safety point of view but it has worked perfectly for the last 2.5 years. I set the heater to come on from 4-6am so that it's running when economy 7 rates are in effect- at least I assume it is, as I only have one meter, a key one which was installed by my landlord before he moved out (annoyingly :rolleyes: ).

Guest DisposableHeroes

Wow I thought mine was getting a bit steep at £33 a quater. Somethings up with that. Your not running a Kray to do your surfing are you :-)

Thanks for the replys guys/gals, on the main immersion tank it says - Santon Premier unvented hot water system, model TP120E, there is a smaller tank above it, with 2 isolator switches on the wall inside the airing cupboard in the second bedroom, there are no timers or thermostats as far as i can see.

I work nights 17.00 - 05.00, i do not need hot water when i get in but will need hot water late morning/early afternoon, so if i switch it off before i go to work then switch back on just before i go to bed in the morning and see if that makes much difference to my power usage.

Catch 22 - Would a normal gas central heating system take up more room aswell?, the house i live in is only 6-7 years old it is a 3 storey town house, no garden but do have a garage as the lower floor, as far as i know the elec heaters were installed when the house was built.

The Landlord also left in a washer/dryer, but the dryer part was taking ages so i have inherited my sisters tumble dryer.

I had to laugh at "As its to posh around here to put it out on the balcony" i seem to remember it saying something about not hanging any washing outside in my tenancy agreement :P

Perfectionist - Can you not ask your power company to monitor your electricity usage over a week or so to see if their figures are accurate.

Guest DisposableHeroes

You can buy a "mains power energy monitor" from www.maplin.co.uk for £24.99 which will monitor your power usage. If you have a plug on the Immersion tank you could plug it in and test it. That goes for anything else with a plug. With the bills your getting it would pay for it's self pretty quick.

When you think a light bulb is about 60watts and a fast boil kettle is 3kilowatts...

Just had a letter from Powergen about price changes -

old prices -

Primary unit rate - 10.68p per kwh

Secondary unit rate - 8.38p per kwh

Heatwise standing charge - 5.63p per day

Heatwise boost - 8.01p per kwh

Heatwise afternoon - 3.57p per kwh

Heatwise night/evening - 3.57p per kwh

New prices -

Primary unit rate - 14.67p per kwh

Secondary unit rate - 9.05p per kwh

Heatwise standing charge - 6.67p per day

Heatwise boost - 9.49p per kwh

Heatwise afternoon - 4.23p per kwh

Heatwise night/evening - 4.23p per kwh

It would have added about £24.00 onto my existing bill.