House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crock

How To Regain Confidence In Trading !

I've started buying shares in the last 3 months and things have gone v.well...until the last two weeks !

I started with 2 K and invested in debt companies of which have been doing good - i sold all debt shares and made an overall gain of £ 800.00 in three months.

Reinvested in some other companies and am now back to my original 2K !

Is it possible to predict the top end price of a share and how long do you hold ? - 20 % rise, 30 % rise etc etc

When do you sell and when do you hold - if i had kept the debt companies shares i would now be £ 1200 up !!

How do regain confidence when the decisions you make are the wrong ones and you loose money !!

Edited by crock

start again and don't beat yourself up too much. getting it wrong is part of the game.

always reduce your size or stake after you lose money. discipline is a trader's greatest friend. aim to lose no more than 5% of your net worth on any trading day. and do not compromise on that rule EVER.

Edited by spoon

I've been looking at the debt companies - they've been fairly erratic (but staying near their top end peaks). I've currently offloaded all mine now and am waiting to see what happens. I've only made a small amount, but its more of a learning curve for me.

I've started buying shares in the last 3 months and things have gone v.well...until the last two weeks !

I started with 2 K and invested in debt companies of which have been doing good - i sold all debt shares and made an overall gain of £ 800.00 in three months.

Reinvested in some other companies and am now back to my original 2K !

Is it possible to predict the top end price of a share and how long do you hold ? - 20 % rise, 30 % rise etc etc

When do you sell and when do you hold - if i had kept the debt companies shares i would now be £ 1200 up !!

How do regain confidence when the decisions you make are the wrong ones and you loose money !!

Are you sure they have fallen permantly? 2 weeks is not a long time to have held a share, have a look at graphs, they go up and down like the tide. You may need a bit more patience and learn to read company finances, statements etc before you jump in.

After my first month I was something like 2 grand down, next month was up 3! Its called learning, should have started a month later, would have been laughing ;)

I found it made sense to invest with a slightly longer term, lower risk strategy when I started out.

I started with things like index trackers and investment trusts and then slowly started trying my hand with individual shares after I'd been watching and using monopoly money portfolios for a while. Whacking all of your funds straight into a couple of highly volitile shares is a pretty high risk strategy, but all part of the learning process I suppose.

Of cause I'm no trading or investment guru, I've not yet plucked up the bottle to try spread betting or CFD with real money!

I've been trading for last 3 months too. Mainly in high risk Oil & Gas companies. My portfolio has been up and down like a bloody yo-yo. I also hold a couple of debt companies for the long term. I often find myself jumping on the daily high movers just to make a quick buck. Very exciting and a bit risky.

They say to be a good trader you must be unemotional, patient and have a strategy and tisck to it. After 3 months I still haven't worked out a strategy, I do get emotionally attached to some companies and I am the least patient person I know. Good luck to anyone that trades.

Guest wrongmove

Whacking all of your funds straight into a couple of highly volitile shares is a pretty high risk strategy

Now you tell me ! :lol: