House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Know What David Wilson Homes Are Like?

HOLA441

I am afraid it is beyond my powers to stop my gf from buying a house in Bristol. I am a committed crasher so there is no need to convert me, but I would love a bit of advice.

As new builds go What are David Wilson homes like? The one of interest is below:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-113...pa_n=9&tr_t=buy

Its a funny place. It is separated from the real world so feels ok. But is very near to chav/crack den central in Southmead. It is on for the same as it was sold for in 03 which does not sound too bad, (ok its shit for a 2 bed with no garden and a £65pcm service charge) but surrounding flats are going for less than they were sold for at the same time.

My worry is that it will be more vunerable to crashing than a (manky) normal 3 bed semi that you could getr for the same price.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Bart of Darkness

all new builds are shite.

Trust me I'm a professional.

I bought one after saying I wouldn't and it confirmed my previous view.

Only the completely clueless are happy.

Brian, what in your opinion was the last decent era of house building. Are you able to narrow it down to a particular decade or would you say it was a particular era instead (i.e. pre-war, Victorian etc.)

Anybody else who feels like pitching in, please do.

HOLA446

"David Wilson Homes is not just a housing developer, we're a company that builds homes. At every stage of the process; from designing and planning to the final finishing touches, we keep in mind the emotional and practical priorities of the people who will be living in our properties.

This customer-centric approach has been at the root of our success for over forty years. We began in a small village in Leicester and today are recognised as one of the country's leading house builders, operating in thirteen regions, from Scotland to Wales and down to the South East of England. All our regions are supported by an extensive customer service team to guide buyers through what, in most cases, is the biggest financial commitment they will ever make.

As part of the Wilson Bowden Group, we established our reputation through the building of large executive properties but today our uncompromising pursuit of excellence extends into a wider portfolio of homes including apartments and townhouses.

At the heart of our company lies the Wilson Way, an attitude which demands all our people, whether they be land buyers, site managers or marketing staff, deliver their very best at all stages of the business. We believe detail is everything and consequently our team takes time to source materials of the highest standard to fashion homes of unparalleled quality."

So there you go then. They build your dreams, are in touch with your emotions, deliver the highest standard of customer care, blah, blah. This bit amused me under 'Environment', "At regional level our planners work closely with councils and the local community to identify sustainable solutions, and our homes are consistently built on brown and greenfield sites." Am I missing something, blackfield sites perhaps?

There is another thread on here about Housing Associations and affordable housing. They have there snouts in this as well, "David Wilson Homes having recognised the affordable housing growth sector, with affordable housing ranging from 15-50% on most of our sites, now have it's own partnership homes division.

David Wilson Partnership Homes carry out all the affordable housing negotiations on behalf of all the David Wilson Homes regional offices.

All affordable homes are designed on the (Wilson way) principle, with the properties being fully integrated into the private development site, and hence tenure neutral."

I am Confused Again - if your lady won't listen to reasoned opinion now, how well are you going to get on when youre married?

HOLA447
HOLA448

"unparalleled quality" =

1) shoddy brickwork/plastering/paintwork/roof tiling/landscaping

2) cheap materials/internal finishings

3) a 3rd bedroom just about large enough to house the pet gerbils (at a squeeze)

4) a modern ventilation system (gaps around the window frames)

BUT

We have 3 bedrooms and 3 toilets! All our dreams came true!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Bart of Darkness

pre 1960 best. Colder but built to last. 1970's - horrible and crap.

Modern buildings not even built to last 25 years IMO.

Utter crap. I know - I have one.

In case your interested - Fairclough Homes. The only company I have ever complained to. They are the pits.

Cheers Brian.

HOLA4411

The build is shite! The house your looking at is shite (sorry)! and and Extra £62 pcm in a maintenance charge after paying paying over £200k for a 2 bedder????

Fooking hell - I though Liverpool was bad for POOR properties at HIGH PRICES!

The ONLY HOUSE I ever saw and said - that was worth every penny was a NEWBUILD in Widnes - dunno the builder as everytime the sales rat came near me I fooked off :)

It was 4 bedrooms - double garage - whole of the loft area was a master bedroom with ensuite jacuzzi. Absollutely TOP ******!!!

Price?

£230K and I even said - thats worth EVERY PENNY!

It had a wow factor - Im sorry that one you showed me depressed me :(

HOLA4412

I am afraid it is beyond my powers to stop my gf from buying a house in Bristol. I am a committed crasher so there is no need to convert me, but I would love a bit of advice.

As new builds go What are David Wilson homes like? The one of interest is below:

Its a funny place. It is separated from the real world so feels ok. But is very near to chav/crack den central in Southmead. It is on for the same as it was sold for in 03 which does not sound too bad, (ok its shit for a 2 bed with no garden and a £65pcm service charge) but surrounding flats are going for less than they were sold for at the same time.

My worry is that it will be more vunerable to crashing than a (manky) normal 3 bed semi that you could getr for the same price.

It's not clear whether you're buying with her or how much deposit she/you are putting down.

But assuming you're taking out a 100% interest only self certified mortgage you will be taking on a lifetime of debt for a property in which you can't raise a family , and for a property that will be falling down before the end of your mortgage term.

This is not a wise move.

Two bedrooms. What happens when babies come along. You can't trade up because your mortgage will be too big (assuming you don't have a 100k deposit) and there'll be no property boom equity to rely on.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

pre 1960 best. Colder but built to last. 1970's - horrible and crap.

Modern buildings not even built to last 25 years IMO.

Utter crap. I know - I have one.

Yup, I've watched every decade since the 60s produce progressively shoddier standards in the spec built sector.

Hey, what do you want for your £200k+?

Pride in workmanship? Went years ago.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness

sorry about this, but from the outside it looks like a mental institution/old peoples home/borstal, pretty surreal...again, sorry :unsure:

That view of the "Private garden" (picture 10) makes me shudder

It does have a very "institutionalised" look about it.

Looks like it was designed by someone who's done a lot of retirement homes and hospices.

HOLA4417

'vunerable' is your gf an EA ?

250K I can here a 'pop' sound

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Oh come on you must be taking the p*ss, quarter of a million pounds for 2 bedrooms. :lol:

EDITED:

Reason why i chuckle is 25 - 30 minutes from bristol you can have a 4 bed detached http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-110...pa_n=7&tr_t=buy for £233K theres also brand new 3 bed detached, gardens, garage for less than 250K

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4420

Are you F**KING crazy?? A 2 bed in Bristol (not city centre) for £250K??

Absolutely mental.

You could buy one of Tony Bliar's flats on Park Row off him for less than that :P

Edited by non-FTBer

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This is not a wise move.

I agree

sorry about this, but from the outside it looks like a mental institution/old peoples home/borstal, pretty surreal...again, sorry unsure.gif

That view of the "Private garden" (picture 10) makes me shudder

These were the sort of things I was saying, but now I am the bad guy (with everyone) as I am told people have to get on with their lives, cant wait forever etc.

I am Confused Again - if your lady won't listen to reasoned opinion now, how well are you going to get on when youre married?

We will get on fine, I will do what she tells me or get spanked :D

I live in a David Wilson home and I can tell you that the build quality is pretty awful. Fortunately, I'm renting!

Cheers, It is what I guessed but I know piss all about houses. I looked around. The kitchen floor is not flat, its a bit lumpy, feels hollow and moves a bit when I jumped up and down (EA looked at me a bit funny). There was draughts coming through the windows, and the 'study is about 5.5 ft high!! Also is a .5cm crack all the way along the ceiling normal?

HOLA4424

Are there any decent builders producing decent modern homes out there?

There has to be a least one surely? :unsure:

There is a bit of bolleaux being talked here. New builds - last less than a mortgage? Don't think so. I have built new houses where, to comply with the insane NHBC inspector's demands, we have dug footings 15 foot deep because there is a tree 40 feet away. I've dug 10 feet because of a nearby hedge!

Most houses (unless you are on sand or gravel) have foundations at least 1 metre deep and they are usually mass filled with concrete. You could build an office block on them.

Clay bricks - going to last a couple of hundred years minimum - more if they are well pointed. Floors, joists, roofs (even trusses) - all well up to the job. Roofs are wind braced like never before. Concrete roof tiles - 100 year guarantee. Modern houses will still be blots on the landscape in 200 years I am afraid. In some areas every bit of timber is treated - even skirtings and architraves. Things like doors tend to be crap I will admit. And ironmongery. But these sorts of things are easily replaced.

The worse thing about modern houses is they are so small.

HOLA4425

I've seen an itemised spec sheet for one of their 4-bed detached houses which added up to a grand total of £59.9k. That's finished too. These sell for £250-350k.

One of their 2 bed flats was £38k to build. You must be a complete and utter d!ckhead to buy with such absurd markups.