House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Live_in_hope

Will The Ftse His 7000 By The End Of 2006

With the FTSE outpacing house price growth last year do we think that the 7000 mark is a possibility ?

At the current rate of upward progress it should hit it by July. :lol:

And for anyone who wants to take my response seriously, please note that I didn't give a year. :D

With the FTSE outpacing house price growth last year do we think that the 7000 mark is a possibility ?

The Ftse has outpaced hpi for a lot more than the past year. 7000 might be possible as long as it gets there before the depression hits.

2 excellent articles in the Sunday Times today on the FTSE:

'Is the Footsie heading for 10,000?'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...2092044,00.html

However, the Footsie has already jumped by nearly 7% this year and closed at 5,999 on Friday. It is now less than 1,000 points from its all-time high of 6,930 in December 1999, and some analysts think it could top that this year.

Will this rally take the market to all-time highs? The answer is almost certain to be yes, as this is a global equity boom, not just a local one. We can expect the Footsie not only to break its previous high between late autumn this year and mid-2007, but continue to rise to the level we all look forward to 10,000, but not before 2010.

Steve Russell of Ruffer, an investment manager, is ...bearish. He forecasts that the Footsie will end the year at 5,000 a drop of nearly 17% from Friday's close.

We believe the gains of the past few years have been a strong rally in a wider bear market because of the fundamental imbalances in the global economy, he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...2092360,00.html

"10 Reasons to be Fearful"

The painful and prolonged bursting of the last market bubble finished only three years ago. It is surely too soon for another wave of euphoria — except that financial markets are notorious for their short memories.

Here we present 10 reasons why investors - always battling the twin emotions of fear and greed - should continue to be cautious.

Edited by Baz63

2 excellent articles in the Sunday Times today on the FTSE:

'Is the Footsie heading for 10,000?'

Remember that book called DOW 50,000 which outlined why the DOW would hit 50k in 1999?

I reckon the FTSE could be 5000 by end of 2006.

Could be 5000 be the end of the month - depending on the Iranian new year celebrations and the outcome of the Italian election.

Sing the FTSE song -

"I'm so excited

and I just cant hide it.

I'm about to lose control

and I think I like it."

This bull market is being driven by takeovers not earnings growth, every day seems to being another bid. It's not at all sustainable and IMO is entirely dependent upon the ability of foreign buyers to access cheap money in order to take over UK companies, it is infact a fine example of our old friend the carry trade.

As Bubb says anything could happen, were takeover activity to cool I would expect the market to fall sharply back to the 5000-5250 level.

FTSE back below 6,000:

Two very hairy candles are now sitting ontop of this market:

I typed "hairy candle" into various search engines. The results were interesting to say the least! :rolleyes:

Is it a commonly used charting term?

Perhaps the title of this thread should be will the FTSE close above 6000 in 2006 ? with the hype in the papers if it aint there now will it ever be ?