House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Waiting Patiently

Government Minister Fiddles Mortgage Expenses ?

While many people cannot afford to buy even one home others are using taxpayers money to obtain two ............

Mystery of Ruth Kelly's £72,000 expenses

By JONATHAN OLIVER, Mail on Sunday

09:11am 19th March 2006

Education Secretary Ruth Kelly last night faced demands for her to explain an apparent 'black hole' in her Commons expenses.

The Cabinet Minister - already under fire for controversial school reforms - now faces new questions over £72,000 she claimed on a second home.

The row comes at a time when the Labour Party is engulfed in sleaze allegations and will raise questions over the way other Ministers and MPs can claim thousands of pounds of public money to pay for and furnish their homes...............................

According to Parliamentary records, Ms Kelly has claimed £72,000 in taxpayers' money over the past four years to pay for a bolt-hole she owns in her Lancashire constituency..........................

However, documents obtained by The Mail on Sunday suggest her annual mortgage interest payments should amount to just £5,000 a year - making a total of £20,000 over the four-year period.

That would mean that since 2001 Ms Kelly has claimed some £52,000 for additional expenses relating to the house. The same Commons rules allow her to claim for council tax, electricity and gas. Neighbours say they pay an average of £2,000 a year for these bills.

Even if those bills reach £2,500 a year it still leaves about £42,000 that the Tories describe as a 'black hole' that Ms Kelly must account for....................

By the end of next year, Ms Kelly is likely to have claimed in expenses the entire £109,000 she originally paid for the property.....................................

The latest row is not the first time Ministers' housing costs have come under scrutiny. When the first lists of Commons expenses were published in 2004, questions were asked about how Tony Blair could justify a claim of £43,000 on the County Durham house he bought for £30,000......................

Mail on Sunday

I am not a complete labour hater... though i must admit that I haven't been able to listen to Blairs voice for about 3 years now. But Ruth Kelly is a freak, a nutter and a scumbag and I hope she is found guilty of fraud and goes down for it.

Most politicians are little better then the Mafia and they are all on the take and yet most people allow this to continue pretending that they alone can do nothing.

We need the normal man in the street back in control and no MP should have out side interests, time to stop sitting on your hands and consider just where it will all end if you continue to do nothing

She should f***k off back to Limavady were she came from, she just another holier than thou nulab parasite milking the system for ever penny she can get.

As the "natural party" for Britain they have become like pigs at the trough while they gorge at the public's expense. It is consistent with Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown's policies of ramping house prices as a substitute for production in the hope that perpetually low interests rates will keep all the plates spinning. Time overdue for a change.

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh...xportaltop.html

Revealed: Blair's secret role in loans scandal
By Patrick Hennessy, Melissa Kite and Chris Hastings
(Filed: 19/03/2006)
Blair's approval rating plummets
Evidence linking Tony Blair personally to the £14 million "loans for peerages" scandal engulfing Labour can be revealed today.
A certificate putting forward a nominee for a peerage - and misleadingly stating they did not have a financial relationship with the party - was filled in inside No 10, Labour sources have told the Sunday Telegraph.

Oh oh :o

Edited by Realistbear

As the "natural party" for Britain they have become like pigs at the trough while they gorge at the public's expense. It is consistent with Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown's policies of ramping house prices as a substitute for production in the hope that perpetually low interests rates will keep all the plates spinning. Time overdue for a change.

Superbly summed up, only problem is change. Another Tory party installed to re-install the one in Tory clothes as we march seamlessly towards an American style of politics where the argument/discussion centres on presentation not policy.

As the "natural party" for Britain they have become like pigs at the trough while they gorge at the public's expense.

We have a similar situation in Australia, where the equivalent of the conservatives are in power.

Ruth Kelly is a freak, a nutter and a scumbag and I hope she is found guilty of fraud and goes down for it.

Apart from that, you really like her!!

p

Guest Bart of Darkness

Superbly summed up, only problem is change. Another Tory party installed to re-install the one in Tory clothes as we march seamlessly towards an American style of politics where the argument/discussion centres on presentation not policy.

And leaders are chosen based on how photogenic/charismatic they are.

It's been said that the public would never elect a bald PM these days.

Policies and other such trivia obviously take a back seat in modern Britain. :)

"Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, is being recommended for a performance bonus of up to £34,000. Critics are now asking why Sir Ian, whose basic salary is £228,000, is even being considered for a bonus after lurching from one crisis to another in the 13 months since he took the job."

£262k, not bad.

It is understood that Matt Carter, who stepped down as the general secretary last year, was aware of the loans, while Mr Dromey the Labour treasurer was not. Matt Carter later went on to work promoting Berlusconi.

New Labour are giving sleaze a bad name.

I think most in the labour party don't actually know what

day of the week it is most of the time.

I don't know if anyone watched the news earlier but they

had the president of Iraq stating the country has fallen in to

civil war and being the president of Iraq I would have thought

he knows what he's talking about. But hey, no. They had some

minister from the labour party saying that everything was fine

in Iraq and the country was not falling in to a civil war. What

**cking planet are they on?? The sooner they're gone the

better.

"It will leave a stain on the character of his Government that will be erased only by a new Government with a fresh mandate, who will restore confidence in our public life for good." -- Tony Blair, 20th March 1997 referring to a mere £2 million blind fund under the previous government.

"It will leave a stain on the character of his Government that will be erased only by a new Government with a fresh mandate, who will restore confidence in our public life for good." -- Tony Blair, 20th March 1997 referring to a mere £2 million blind fund under the previous government.

As ever, talk is cheap, words merely the "tools of the trade".

"Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, is being recommended for a performance bonus of up to £34,000. Critics are now asking why Sir Ian, whose basic salary is £228,000, is even being considered for a bonus after lurching from one crisis to another in the 13 months since he took the job."

£262k, not bad.

Hush Money!!!

No I don't believe anything they say...god they make me sick. Nauseating, self-serving, preaching, hypocritical mafioso on the take for whatever they can get.

They don't have a f**king clue what life is like outside their self-supporting world of spin, lies and soundbites. These professional politicians need to be kicked out and replaced. I am not surprised at all that all this is surfacing...

Just look at how rotten our political system has become - no one believes what the politicians are saying, they are all on the take, and I can see only one conclusion to this: revolution.

Ooooh, what I just wrote means I am probably now marked out as a trouble-maker in Bliars police state Britain. Send the boys round Gordon to sort me out. V for Vendetta is just around the corner.

Ruth Kelly I probably hate the most - listening to her speak on the radio is an object-lesson in what is wrong with NuLab...all she does is construct meaningless sentences stuffed full of buzzwords....'choice', 'improvement', 'change', 'real' la la la none of which means anything at all.

And although this does not have any bearing on her politically, I would just point out that she is awesomely ugly as well and has the most annoying voice in the history of planet Earth.

God I hate her.

Edited by marko