House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eurows

New Tax On 4 X 4's

Yes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Drivers of gas-guzzling four-wheel drives are expected to be targeted when Gordon Brown unveils his tenth Budget next Wednesday.

The move could see the top rate of excise duty rise sharply to around £200 a year.

Among the specific measures expected to be included in the Budget is a plan to increase the excise duty on the so-called 'Chelsea tractors', the use of which in cities has been decried by Ministers as 'crass irresponsibility'.

There will be a new top rate of £200 for vehicles emitting more than 250 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre.

:D

Just being listening to bbc. They mentioned a leak on the budget suggesting that Brown is going to stick a tax on 4 x 4's. Anybody heard more

They really annoy me round North London, almost always driven by small women peering over the steering wheel and they never, ever acknowledge if you let them go, so basically I hate them...but I just cannot reconcile this with taxing them specifically as it is yet another interference and act of micromanaging by an intrusive state. I suppose the green issues are the justification but I have a suspicion it is also a gesture about class envy as with fox hunting.

My sister in law is about to buy the BMW 4WD (she told me in horror how they were trapped by snow in their house down a hill in a town in Hertfordshire for an entire morning last year so they definitely need one). Victoria Wood, living in Highgate, used to say they were driven in case of encountering a low sugar Ribena slick outside the school...

:)

Oh, and by the way:

Any hopes of a relief from stamp duty on housing transactions will also be dashed, although the bands may be rated upwards in line with inflation.

I don't have a 4x4 but at the same time don't believe we should encourage the politicos to single out one particular road user. Who would then be next? Classic divide and conquer tactics. If you* don't like 4x4's then fine don't buy one, same with chav corsa's, motorbikes, smelly lorries, bmw's. the list goes on. This is just another opportunity to tax.

* I don't mean you Eurows, its a generic 'you' and my poor grasp of grammar :blink:

I don't have a 4x4 but at the same time don't believe we should encourage the politicos to single out one particular road user. Who would then be next? Classic divide and conquer tactics. If you* don't like 4x4's then fine don't buy one, same with chav corsa's, motorbikes, smelly lorries, bmw's. the list goes on. This is just another opportunity to tax.

* I don't mean you Eurows, its a generic 'you' and my poor grasp of grammar :blink:

What an idiotic post. It's posts like this that show me the true level of education in this country. Don't you realise the planet is suffocating?

US climate scientists have recorded a significant rise in the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, pushing it to a new record level.

BBC News has learned the latest data shows CO2 levels now stand at 381 parts per million (ppm) - 100ppm above the pre-industrial average.

The research indicates that 2005 saw one of the largest increases on record - a rise of 2.6ppm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4803460.stm

Climate change is engrained and may become irreversible soon.

Education is a better way to reduce usage of CO2, but only taxation and legislation seems to be effective at the present time.

We need to reduce our emissions quick or potentially face up to extinction of the human race.

They should be singled out, as they are twice as likely to kill you than other cars and the tax is based on CO2 production which is fair play.

My sister in law is about to buy the BMW 4WD (she told me in horror how they were trapped by snow in their house down a hill in a town in Hertfordshire for an entire morning last year so they definitely need one). Victoria Wood, living in Highgate, used to say they were driven in case of encountering a low sugar Ribena slick outside the school...

Ah but if she needs one for a whole morning in a year it's a must spend £40k :lol::lol:

You appear to have fallen victim to Daily Mail spin, which focused on chelsea tractors. The measure is based on CO2 emission per km travelled and therefore it hits any large car. Given that Britain is facing a fuel import crisis, this measure is quite mild relative to what they will have to do in a few years' time. I think they will probably have to ration fuel within five years.

I share the views about 4x4 drivers. As pointed out, they are always driven by pot-bellied, self-important slobs or else incompetent women. To buy such a vehicle merely as a fashion statement, or to give yourself the feeling of being safer, at the expense of others, is contemptible. The sweet irony is that these vehicles actually have quite a poor recod in crashes, due to their high centre of gravity. They're dangerous for everybody, not just the poor sods who get hit. They should ban them on road safety grounds alone.

I was just in the Landrover garage yesterday looking at changing mine. Landrover are knocking £2500 of the price of a new one at the moment and another £1000 if you take their finance.

I don't want finance and looking at the figures the finance was quite a bit higher than everyone else (making up the grand)

They said take it anyway and then cancel it. Cancelation charge is £300 but you save another £700.

But a hike it taxes would make me think again.

Might now get the saab 9-3 convertible. Any of you property owners looking in whilst struggling with your mortgage - watch my blond hair blow in the wind.

You appear to have fallen victim to Daily Mail spin, which focused on chelsea tractors. The measure is based on CO2 emission per km travelled and therefore it hits any large car. Given that Britain is facing a fuel import crisis, this measure is quite mild relative to what they will have to do in a few years' time. I think they will probably have to ration fuel within five years.

I share the views about 4x4 drivers. As pointed out, they are always driven by pot-bellied, self-important slobs or else incompetent women. To buy such a vehicle merely as a fashion statement, or to give yourself the feeling of being safer, at the expense of others, is contemptible. The sweet irony is that these vehicles actually have quite a poor recod in crashes, due to their high centre of gravity. They're dangerous for everybody, not just the poor sods who get hit. They should ban them on road safety grounds alone.

I agree, they should be outlawed. Forget about tax increases. Is there ever a justification for such a vehicle on the road?

We need to get most of the cars off the road and return to public transport and transportation of goods by huge rail freightliners (much more energy efficient than lorries). If taxation is the only way to do this, so be it.

I agree, they should be outlawed. Forget about tax increases. Is there ever a justification for such a vehicle on the road?

We need to get most of the cars off the road and return to public transport and transportation of goods by huge rail freightliners (much more energy efficient than lorries). If taxation is the only way to do this, so be it.

yeh. Im going to get my penny farthing out and go down t' shops fo loaf of hovis'

Like hell...smell my exhaust fumes.

So this country wants to price me out of a home and take my car of me as well. I might as well let Tony Blair come over and sort out my lass.

Edited by eurows

yeh. Im going to get my penny farthing out and go down t' shops fo loaf of hovis'

Yes, we always have to progress technologically and inflate ;) . A bit like the houseprices will always go up. For a time the internal combustion engine improved our lives. Now it is destroying them.

So this country wants to price me out of a home and take my car of me as well. I might as well let Tony Blair come over and sort out my lass.

Somewhere to live and shelter is a reasonable request, but I can't see how having a car should be an automatic right. Public transport and Shank's pony should suffice.

What an idiotic post. It's posts like this that show me the true level of education in this country. Don't you realise the planet is suffocating?

:lol:

Like an extra £40 a year is going to stop people buying £40k gas guzzling cars.

It's just a 'popular' way of getting more tax revenue.

It won't do ANYTHING to reduce emissions as it doesn't persuade the driver to drive fewer miles per year.

:lol:

Like an extra £40 a year is going to stop people buying £40k gas guzzling cars.

It's just a 'popular' way of getting more tax revenue.

It won't do ANYTHING to reduce emissions as it doesn't persuade the driver to drive fewer miles per year.

Yes, I understand that, that is how politics always works. However, in this case it happens to be a step in the right direction. We shouldn't consider this taking away out liberties. For example, should I be allowed to pour mercury into a river estuary? Or should the government intervene. Where the global environment is at stake the government does have a responsibility IMO.

hehehe :rolleyes:

for a minute there i thought you said ass

Might now get the saab 9-3 convertible. Any of you property owners looking in whilst struggling with your mortgage - watch my blond hair blow in the wind.

Great but there is only the unresolvable problem remaining. That is that all English people, including welsh and scots, look like utter utter ***ts in convertible cars. I think it's in the genes, or something to do with perception and ones awareness of 'self'. In the same way that an *english* person cannot wear a base-ball cap without looking like a tw*t. It's just a law of nature. And of course a base-ball cap wearing convertible driver - where do you begin.. :lol:

Yes, I understand that, that is how politics always works. However, in this case it happens to be a step in the right direction. We shouldn't consider this taking away out liberties. For example, should I be allowed to pour mercury into a river estuary? Or should the government intervene. Where the global environment is at stake the government does have a responsibility IMO.

Feck me, someone is a bit sanctimonious for a sunny Sunday morning...

Apply tax evenly sure. Single out one type and it is the thin end of the wedge. Discourage people driving by offering them a credible alternative yes, discriminate against a minority group no. I don't actually know anyone who owns a 4x4 and share many of the sentiments expressed here about them appearing to be driven by preoccupied selfish school run women and fat skinhead blokes with a chip on both shoulders so they are well balanced :lol: but I just don't agree we should encourage our politicians to single out one group, because then it becomes another group and another.

I agree with taxing the 4x4s. I'm not suggesting the banning of cars, but those things are unnecessary. I would like to see the "bull bars" on the front of them banned as they greatly increase the probability that someone is serious injured or killed when hit by one of these monstrosities.

Billy Shears

I wrote off my car recently and decided to get by without one. My company, however, decided I need a car so have forced a company car on me. I now have to make journeys by car which I used to make by train just to get back some of the income tax I am now paying.

And my company - envorinmental engineering consultants and contractors.

My second anecdote of the day. I have raced a 4x4 Chelsea Tractor off road in a battered Fiesta. Because my wheel base was so much shorter, I had less overhang from the wheels and I didn't car about scratching the car, I won by a mile.

4X4s - everyone's favourite 'love to hate'. I must say I have to hand it to Gordon for this one. It's going to be an example of a very rare thing - A popular tax!

I peronally hate them too. I hate the way they are visually designed to instill fear and awe in other road users. The BMW is the worst. It looks like the vehicular incarnation of the devil (Maybe that's just my warped mind :blink:) I've had a drive of a couple too, and I can't understand why anyone would want one - great big fat lumbering bastards, no space inside either - totally impracticle.

I don't think we should ban them though. I think if we lived in a communist society you could argue that they should be banned for the common good. However in a capitalist society we should just make people pay a price for them that reflects the disporportionate damage they do to the environment/ congestion/ road safety etc.

And what if you need a 4wd for work - I have a landrover that I use for local driving and helping my dad out on the farm - taking stock to market, etc. By the way, outraged greens, I run it on LPG. You try living half-way up a mountain in Ceredigion, with a farm to run, without a 4wd.

Why doesn't the government just enforce conversion to LPG? It's cheaper, strongly reduces all emissions - noxious and carbon dioxide. Instead, the spend millions on some half-baked scheme called Powershift that they somehow forget to market (the Energy Saving Trust strikes again).

I suspect that this policy to tax 4wds is more to do with appealing to urban class obsessed Old Labour type voters. By the way, I agree on the bull-bars point ill Shears - ban them by all means. I ripped mine off last year - they're lethal and there's no excuse for keeping them on!

Edited by gruffydd

I have a company car and these have been taxed on the grams/km for years now. It certainly discourages you from choosing a gas guzzler when you see the amount of extra tax you will have to pay.

Unfortunately the government didn't realise that people would simply go out and get diesel cars instead. My petrol car emits at about 200grms/km whislt the diesel equivalent is something like 160grms/km. You save a hell of a lot by driving the diesel - hence the increased number of diesels on the road.

Obviously I don't blame people for choosing the diesels, but even a brand new one chucks out clouds of smoke when the driver puts his foot down.

Taxing people on the emissions is an excellent idea though. If the manufacturers still want to sell the things they will have to reduce the emissions.