House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teachertim

Anyone Know Anything About Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire ?

Thinking of buying (yes, that's what I said !) a house on Regency Mews development in Birkenshaw. When I have posted on here before there seemed to be some good guys with knowledge of my area, just wondered if anyone knew it.

It is a Persimmon development,

3 storey 3 bed Mews with garage

£179,950

- £5,000

5% deposit paid

Stamp Paid

Full carpeted

£500 towards legal,

I know you guys will say they putting loads of deals on it because it is over priced etc... However, according to LR they have sold 6 for full £179,950. I appreciate they will have probably paid 5% deposit of those which would not show up on LR data.

I'm a teacher, earning £25k buying with my partner who is also a teacher earning £25k. Getting an Interest only mortgage for £160,000 in first instance, will re-mortgage to C&I in a couple of years when we both progressed up the pay scales.

I know I shouldn't but the deals are too good on this and I love the house. Just wondered if anyone local knew of a good reason to not bite.

All opinions greatly recieved.

Thanks guys.

Hello again Teacher Tim

I looked at the Birkenshaw area as well. South of the motorway there are some fine houses and the Bronte links with Red Hall and Oakwell Hall and the estate is trading on this. A lot of houses being flipped so perhaps you are seeing the sales that were to 'investors'. Couple of homes up for rent so still transient estate as well. This is common to a lot of the new build estates around here, yours in the Shires, Meadowbrooks in Morley, Suffields in Gildersome. I think the postcode is a factor to watch as well. I have a friend who lives in the nicer part of East Bierley but suffers extra loadings on her insurance for her car, house, etc., as it is lumped in with all the South Bradford sink estates.

The best advice would be to wait and let the prices soften even more. Think about it, a year ago were such great offers on purchasing available? No?, why not - because the market was stronger. Give it another year and you can buy that new home for £20k less. A WHOLE YEARS SALARY for free. No brainer to me.

A slightly more positve note, if you fall in love with a house, and you can afford it, and are willing to pay the price, buy it. If you love it that much you will be living there for the next 20 years.

New builds - there are loads of them and they always look the same to me. And don't forget, they are like cars. They loose approx. 5% of their value as soon as you put your keys in the door.

Pros of new build - some sort of guarantee, easy transaction, no gazumping

Cons of new build - expensive compared with equivalent lived in houses, no character, you have to live on a building site for a year or two.

I nearly bought a new build about three years ago, but couldn't complete fast enough. If you want it, find out when the builder's financial year is and go and look at it 3 to 4 weeks before this. They will then be keen to get you hooked, so will offer larger discounts if you negotiate, but find your solicitor before hand so you can move quickly.

Think about what Bradford is like now, and then consider what it will be like in 10 years time.

Though many postal address's in Birkenshaw are BFD11 it's actually a part of Kirklees I believe and, as the table at the end of this publication from Manchester Uni shows, is 98% white (I presume you were refering to Bradfords ethnic makeup)?

http://www.ccsr.ac.uk/research/migseg/Kirklees.pdf

Going back to the table it's interesting to compare house prices with area!

Edited by ILikeBigBoobs

Can you negotiate any more off the price?

good suggestion

why not offer £20000 less than the deal you have been offered as a ftb wth nothing to sell and your finances in place.

be pepared to walk away and then expect them to call you to try and negotiate.

be absolutely hard 4rsed and i will be amazed if you dont get your low ? offer accepted.

£179,950

- £5,000

5% deposit paid

Stamp Paid

Full carpeted

£500 towards legal,

to LR they have sold 6 for full £179,950.

Thanks guys.

To who have they sold? Are they lived in?

They sound desperate to sell tbh.

I'd wait.

£500 towards legal? How much is full legal costs?

Was always under the impression that you coudl not try to barter the price with new builds, will give it a try but have a feeling they will laugh me out of the door.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Be polite, but firm. Show them you are serious, but not desperate.

Edit: Be prepared to walk away. I bet they come running. ;)

Edited by libitina

Was always under the impression that you coudl not try to barter the price with new builds, will give it a try but have a feeling they will laugh me out of the door.

Construction companies are the ultimate in pressure sales. They have a bottom line which will only balance if they sell properties. Even in the boom years I was able to knock 10% off the list price when i said it was too much and they were near their year end. Should be even easier now.

no different to any commercial transaction.

a sale only happens with a wiling buyer and a willing seller.

the developers are professionals -they build and sell houses every day.

you will buy a new house at most 3 or 4 times in your life-possibly only 1.

negotiation is a game of poker.

he who blinks first loses.

when houses are in short supply you need to buy more than they need to sell

it is the othe way round now.

they will have a bottom line but may breach it if they are behind target.

Excellent, thanks for the advice, I know it makes sense but just don't think I dare. However, will do now, going to wait for xchange on mine so I am in a stronger position will then go and play hardball. Went and looked round it again today, have doubts so I can wait.

There are 9 houses identical the one I would like, 5 moved into, 1 xchanged and 1 reserved. Just leaves 2.

i bet it takes ages to sell your house. this deal has all the right faults to cause a chaotic fall over of the whole chain, you could miss out.

have you considered a bridging loan and perhaps let out your old home.