House Price Crash Forum
dave25

Tips On Finding A Property To Let?

Hi guys

Anybody know of any specific websites that have articles in helping to find a property to let? or any members here can offer any useful advice/info? would be appreciated. The area that i am interested in are burnley/nelson areas if anybody can give me more specific advice with regards to the location.

thank you

One of the best ways in my opinion is to get a local paper and just look through it basically in the rental property parts in the classifieds. I would not advise renting through a letting agent, as long as you know your tenants rights you should have no problem going through a private landlord, and this way is nearly always cheaper(due to no letting agent fee) and the rent can often be cheaper also.

Key things when you do rent(I am assuming you are a first time renter - apologies if not!):

- Check the property over IN DETAIL prior to agreeing.....what you see is what you get, you can't change your mind later if you find something you don't like(unless it breaches regulations).

- Ensure that any improvements/repairs/anything else agreed to you get in writing.

- Check the AST over very very carefully before signing, and ensure you query and possibly get removed any clauses that you are not happy about. Do some brief research on unfair terms according to the OFT, to ensure you know what they simply cannot include on the AST.

- Ensure that any inventory gone through with you and the landlord is gone through in detail and dont be afraid to demand alterations made to the list prior to you signing it.

Try the developers of any mid scale* estate with empty new builds. If struggling to sell they may prefer to rent to you.

*bigger than 6 houses and smaller than Barratts.

Our developer, Orion Homes of Wakefield seems to keep a few houses back on each estate.