House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

We Need To Keep Out Old Terrace Houses

Don't Kill our history, heritage and community, we need to update not knock down our freehold houses. Don't replace with newbuild flats, it will be a big mistake.

What do others think?

Is this the Pathfinder project running now on channel 3??

Destroying houses that are alright and giving them new flats?

Im not bothered as long as its not costing me loads of my tax dollars...but of course it it!!!

The guys kicked out of his 3 bed house with 37k. A 1 bed flat round the corner is over 150k. WTF! Is this a trick to keep the housing market bubble going? :angry:

Don't Kill our history, heritage and community, we need to update not knock down our freehold houses. Don't replace with newbuild flats, it will be a big mistake.

What do others think?

Isnt this gentryfication? removing anything remotely reminiscent off old working class history

and replacing with the new suit and tie, professional lifestyle image.

The guys kicked out of his 3 bed house with 37k. A 1 bed flat round the corner is over 150k. WTF! Is this a trick to keep the housing market bubble going? :angry:

I missed the program. Can you please explain what happened here. Are you saying that they were forced out of their houses and only given 37K in compensation? How does this happen?

Billy Shears

I missed the program. Can you please explain what happened here. Are you saying that they were forced out of their houses and only given 37K in compensation? How does this happen?

Billy Shears

Yes that is what I am saying. They were given the 'market value'.

Yes that is what I am saying. They were given the 'market value'.

Compulsory purchase order? For newbuild flats? 37K as 'market value'. This is appalling!!!! OK, compulsory purchase orders for motorways and hospitals, I can sort of understand if not agree with. But newbuild flats?

Billy Shears

Didn't this kind of thing happen in the 1960's? Wasn't it later regarded as A Bad Thing?

Not if you're a technocrat with plans, then it's simply a reallocation of output units, people don't come into it. It's just another symptom of a highly centralised and controlling planning system, people are just mere puppets that can be moved about and housed as others wish.

At least in the 60's the replacements were built as public schemes, however misguided, now things are in the hands of private developers. Just another outcome of the cocked up brownfield policy.

hey - apparently 70% were in FAVOR of demolishion..... I dont really think so. One couple of ladies were also in favor of demolishion, and couldnt wait to move out - - er they probably think they get a free semi detached or something - "with garden" duh - the houses that will be replacing will be FLATS - they; d be lucky with a £30K compensation or a 1 bed shoe box in return. THINK please!

Another couple got the street together and somehow AVERTED demolishion - GREAT STUFF POWER TO PEOPLE, DOWN WITH BEAURACRAT JOBSWORTHS AND MONEY MAKING PROPERTY

DEVELOPERS RAR

Just amazing to see how compulsiory purchase orders can force you out of your home - you dont really "own" a home even if you have paid for it

Edited by notanewmember

DustbinGate - 1998.

"Labour Party and John Prescott the biggest scare both had ever had. Without resources, but an array of family and friend contacts in the city, they set about using these contacts to steal John Prescott's personal documents from everywhere they had friends.

The results were the exposing of sleazy housing deals, where members of the Prescott family where involved in the acquisition of over a hundred respossessed houses, and then getting them renovated with Hull City Council grant money, the work being done by a group of people who were unemployed men who recieved cash in hand payments from the son of John Prescott.

These nighshift workers also discovered that council houses were being sold very cheaply to a company were a member of the Prescott family was a director. These houses had already had £18,0000 spent on them in grants, and the best friend of John Prescott, Councillor John Black Black sat as deputy Chairman of the Housing trust selling the houses.

Yet despite all this, and the fact it John Prescott's own department selling the houses, John Prescott would have us believe he knew nothing about the sale of these houses."

http://www.government-auction.co.uk/anothe...rty_197713.html

Billy Shears

The £37k was 'market value'. But what I fail to understand is how can that be market value if a similar house costs £120k around the corner? Ok, he may exagerate the price but still that is a massive difference.

Shouldn't the people being forced out be offered one of the new replacement homes?

DustbinGate - 1998.

"Labour Party and John Prescott the biggest scare both had ever had. Without resources, but an array of family and friend contacts in the city, they set about using these contacts to steal John Prescott's personal documents from everywhere they had friends.

The results were the exposing of sleazy housing deals, where members of the Prescott family where involved in the acquisition of over a hundred respossessed houses, and then getting them renovated with Hull City Council grant money, the work being done by a group of people who were unemployed men who recieved cash in hand payments from the son of John Prescott.

These nighshift workers also discovered that council houses were being sold very cheaply to a company were a member of the Prescott family was a director. These houses had already had £18,0000 spent on them in grants, and the best friend of John Prescott, Councillor John Black Black sat as deputy Chairman of the Housing trust selling the houses.

Yet despite all this, and the fact it John Prescott's own department selling the houses, John Prescott would have us believe he knew nothing about the sale of these houses."

http://www.government-auction.co.uk/anothe...rty_197713.html

:o:o

don't know why I should be surprised really !

Edited by sign_of_the_times

I see no reason why the political elite should not profit from the new economy.

They are the ones who helped us become the most successfull nation in the world why shouldnt they participate in it and profit like we all do.

Is it really so different to sell a peerage for a couple of million pounds, or sell a new car?.

Its business, whats the problem.

At least with the labour party they are honest about their dishonesty, they pull no punches its mans talk.

The Labour Party represent the majority of this country who also promote the everyone for himself mentality.

Thank God that under new labour we no longer have "The Community" where everyone knows everyone elses business. I love driving, so its no problem for me to drive out of town to Sainsburys to do my shopping. I have no sympathy for the oldies living in McCarthey and Stone retirement flats in City Centres who have no way of doing the food shopping as its all moved out of town to the motorway. If they had not been so frugal with their money they would have spent it on a Catarax operation and would still be in a position to drive. They deserve what they get!!.

Our Comrades in the Labour Party are our Brothers, Soldiers for the cause. Equality for everyone is something worth fighting for, even if it doesnt really mean Everyone.

I challenge anyone to show me how the Tories could have done it better?.

They are the ones who helped us become the most successfull nation in the world why shouldnt they participate in it and profit like we all do.

Is it really so different to sell a peerage for a couple of million pounds, or sell a new car?.

Its business, whats the problem.

At least with the labour party they are honest about their dishonesty, they pull no punches its mans talk.

The Labour Party represent the majority of this country who also promote the everyone for himself mentality.

Thank God that under new labour we no longer have "The Community" where everyone knows everyone elses business. I love driving, so its no problem for me to drive out of town to Sainsburys to do my shopping. I have no sympathy for the oldies living in McCarthey and Stone retirement flats in City Centres who have no way of doing the food shopping as its all moved out of town to the motorway. If they had not been so frugal with their money they would have spent it on a Catarax operation and would still be in a position to drive. They deserve what they get!!.

Our Comrades in the Labour Party are our Brothers, Soldiers for the cause. Equality for everyone is something worth fighting for, even if it doesnt really mean Everyone.

I challenge anyone to show me how the Tories could have done it better?.

In my mind they are both as bad as each other, sometimes looking after their own interests and pockets. What they say and what they do is often quite different, too many ulterior motives. Why not pick the best, most decent and honest from each party and start a new one. Now where would we start :huh:

I think you forgot to include the 'irony' smilie...

At least with the labour party they are honest about their dishonesty,

I agree,

Gordon Clown issued this statement in 1997: -

Mr Brown said: "I will allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future." He said he was determined that the UK should return to the "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980s and 1990s.

Looks like he kept his promise then!

I watched this and was appalled. It's criminal - possibly literally so.

This might not be a popular view on here, and I appreciate that central government are involved, but scams like this are exactly why putting more power in the hands of local government can be a very bad idea. I'm thinking here of the backhanders that must have taken place, as they do where I live where all sorts of strange (as in nobody has ever asked for them), unpopular building projects seem to happen on a regular basis. Discussions between developers and councillors on golf courses - "yeah, we'll get compulsory purchase orders on these perfectly good houses/entire communities so you can demolish them and build some poxy flats and starter hutches...leave the cash in the usual place, won't you".

It stinks to high heaven. Bastards.

:angry:

Edited by vicster

This might not be a popular view on here, and I appreciate that central government are involved, but scams like this are exactly why putting more power in the hands of local government can be a very bad idea. I'm thinking here of the backhanders that must have taken place, as they do where I live where all sorts of strange (as in nobody has ever asked for them), unpopular building projects seem to happen on a regular basis. Discussions between developers and councillors on golf courses - "yeah, we'll get compulsory purchase orders on these perfectly good houses/entire communities so you can demolish them and build some poxy flats and starter hutches...leave the cash in the usual place, won't you".

Pathfinder is actually a central government thing, however it seems pretty obvious that its intentions have been debased as developers cherry pick the best places with better returns rather than sort out all those unwanted terraces in really rough areas. Private developers have targetted estates closer to town because the land is worth more and it has greater potential... after all, if nobody wants to live in a down-trodden area then what's the point of dropping a few new houses in there?

The problem is that all the nicer places have people living in them, they most probably own them. When you're watching on TV a row of terraces looks like any other, however in the real world some might quite large and only a stones throw in a good area, others might be tiny houses in a right state in a really run down place... you know, the places that actually do need attention.

Edited by BuyingBear

Makes me laugh the amount of vacant leasehold properties on the market :D

The Ea's actually still believe they represent good value! The worst ones are the shared ownership prpoerties with a leashold..owch :blink:

Billy Shears

To be fair he was kicked out of what i would class as a sheete hole and given £37k + ANOTHER £25k...and then he is comparing them to new builds....dont quite think so!!

You wouldnt even have given him a silver bottle top for his house but since the council never had to raise the money pretty easy to give it to him then!