House Price Crash Forum

Swindon Trend

HOLA441

I've been monitoring a postcode in Swindon since October (2 bed+ 100K-150K), the trend has been

72-79 properties consistently, with the odd fluctuation upto 83. Today there are 93 properties.

This could well be due to the "Spring season", but there is more on the market. Buyers market could

lead to price falls as there is so much to choose from!

HOLA442

Seeing the opposite up here. Been watching an area in Northampton and that dropped at the end of the year to the low 30's from the mid 50's. August rate cut maybe? Most of the houses looked like they were taken off the market. Most are ridiculously overpriced.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I've been monitoring a postcode in Swindon since October (2 bed+ 100K-150K), the trend has been

72-79 properties consistently, with the odd fluctuation upto 83. Today there are 93 properties.

This could well be due to the "Spring season", but there is more on the market. Buyers market could

lead to price falls as there is so much to choose from!

Can't really corroborate this over my side of Swindon (villages to the east). My standard search on a particular agents site ranged from 40 - 50 throughout last year. Currently 34. Although activity has picked up somewhat, prices certainly don't seem to have been moving up though and a large number of these 34 have been there for over a year.

HOLA445

Can't really corroborate this over my side of Swindon (villages to the east). My standard search on a particular agents site ranged from 40 - 50 throughout last year. Currently 34. Although activity has picked up somewhat, prices certainly don't seem to have been moving up though and a large number of these 34 have been there for over a year.

Yep I'm seeing a large number hanging. There are also new developments in the area, but there has been for a while with the number remaining largely static. I have noticed though that 2 bedroom houses are being put on at slightly higher than they were, so 25% statement in my early post - probably looking at 30% drop in reality.

HOLA446

Yep I'm seeing a large number hanging. There are also new developments in the area, but there has been for a while with the number remaining largely static. I have noticed though that 2 bedroom houses are being put on at slightly higher than they were, so 25% statement in my early post - probably looking at 30% drop in reality.

Noticed the slightly raised asking prices in Swindon for 2 beds over the last few weeks. Though they are only about 5 grand more than they were in 2004. However these are not selling really quickly although I have noticed the town centre is a sea of sold signs (BTL land around commercial road).

HOLA447

Noticed the slightly raised asking prices in Swindon for 2 beds over the last few weeks. Though they are only about 5 grand more than they were in 2004. However these are not selling really quickly although I have noticed the town centre is a sea of sold signs (BTL land around commercial road).

One of my friends sold a house near commerical rd - they sell REALLY fast, despite the traffic in the area! The returns ain't that bad I guess (550PM on a place bought for ~£115K). Problem is, if prices correct, I think they may correct a bit harsher in these areas.

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why? By comparison with the rest of the country £115K aint that expensive.

Because it is noisy in the day (road very busy) and at night, you get drunks walking/vomiting past your front doors/bedroom window. You are more susceptible to crime in the area too.

HOLA4411

Because it is noisy in the day (road very busy) and at night, you get drunks walking/vomiting past your front doors/bedroom window. You are more susceptible to crime in the area too.

But these things are occuring already and as thus are already reflected in the price.

HOLA4412

As mentioned earlier, a lot of the houses are owned by BTL'ers who do not have to live there. So the prices are reflecting demand from them. You're looking at more than £500.00 pcm rent in one of these and that is still fairly cheap in Swindon, so they are still selling. Renters will still go for the cheap, near to town areas even if they are crappy.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

ok. Postcode I've been monitoring (100K-150K on 2 bedrooms or more) has now increased to 107 this week.

Looks like Spring has brought out more sellers in Swindon.

OzzMosiz, what are you monitering them on? I have noticed a thicker evening advertiser on Wednesday, but the prices seem to have increased as well. Also not quite as many reduced labels :(

HOLA4415

OzzMosiz, what are you monitering them on? I have noticed a thicker evening advertiser on Wednesday, but the prices seem to have increased as well. Also not quite as many reduced labels :(

Rightmove, monitoring SN25. There is a glut of crap on there, most overpriced.

I too buy the Evening Ad on Wednesdays - keeping the property section to review in the next

few years the local changes.

I've seen a lot of properties sticking at the same price as last year and not selling.

139K for a 2 bedroom end terraced / semi is just ridiculous, same can be said for the 2 bedroom

flats in Priory Vale/Abbeymeads.

HOLA4416

Rightmove, monitoring SN25. There is a glut of crap on there, most overpriced.

I too buy the Evening Ad on Wednesdays - keeping the property section to review in the next

few years the local changes.

I've seen a lot of properties sticking at the same price as last year and not selling.

139K for a 2 bedroom end terraced / semi is just ridiculous, same can be said for the 2 bedroom

flats in Priory Vale/Abbeymeads.

Totally agree, I watch the Westlea area and although sold prices on nethouseprice.com are the same 2004 to 2006 the asking prices have recently jumpedquite a lot.

HOLA4417

Totally agree, I watch the Westlea area and although sold prices on nethouseprice.com are the same 2004 to 2006 the asking prices have recently jumpedquite a lot.

I keep an eye out on that too. (I like Middleleaze / Nine elms more though).

Some of the property there is massively overpriced. Some parts of Westlea are ok, some look dead ruff!

HOLA4418

I keep an eye out on that too. (I like Middleleaze / Nine elms more though).

Some of the property there is massively overpriced. Some parts of Westlea are ok, some look dead ruff!

I guess I'm biased about Westlea as I live there, I know some areas are a bit "ruff". My diddy little close has been surprisingly quiet and nice to live in (houses could be considered cheap scale £115,000). Nine Elms looks good as I like Lydiard Park.

Should we be talking about this subject on this board? Will I get told off? :lol: