House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Breaks 6000 ..... Shhhhhh

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

But don't tell anyone. Remember, investing in "conventional investments" will ruin you like it has all those pensioners.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Yea i was just looking at it, will be interesting to see if it manages to hold throughout the day.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Sell up and get into shares. They will always make money in the long run. You can't fail....

With the last few years dismal returns on housing now is the time to invest for the future in shares.

BUY NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE... ;);)

That's pretty much what will/has? been happening imho, as one bubble dies the next is born, smart money has to go somewhere before the dumb money moves in.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

On the assumption it's sustained...

Good point. There seems to be a lot of takeover runny botty excitement in the market at the moment, I'll be surprised if it can be sustained in the short term. I personally shall stand aside until the froth is blown out.

Mind you, if we do get a correction, it will be heralded as the end of the world by many perma bears.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

And Rightmove are down another 0.5%. :D

If overvalued stock can't find support on a day like today, then I would suspect that their trend will be down for the next few weeks.

Not necessarily, today is a triple witching day in the markets meaning there are a huge number of option expiries and dealers tend to push the market up to achieve better execution on those options. A new and smaller stock like Rightmove isn't going to have the same number of options written against it and thus not be affected by the same process.

That said, it's clearly far too expensive for what it is.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Charlie The Tramp
What have companies learnt in the past five years?

The last time the market stood above 6,000 was in March 2001, when many firms were still overweight and in need of cost cutting and restructuring.

Since then many listed companies have undergone major restructuring as the global slowdown triggered by September 11 forced firms to tighten their belts.

This has left them leaner and meaner, with more of their revenues going straight on the bottom line as profit.

Leaner and meaner was mainly job cuts and outsourcing. So in the downturn does this increase to sustain growth in profits?

What's behind the FTSE's rally

The Reserve Bank of Australia has warned that the current calm in financial markets could be the prelude to a storm that could wreak havoc in the world economy. The RBA believes the boom in markets for shares, bonds and housing in many countries is unsustainable.

HOLA4416

Dr Bubb said low Oct 2006

Dr Bubb posted several threads last autumn saying "CRASH WARNING; STOCK MARKET CRASHES IMMINENT" etc. accompanied by several incomprehensible technical analysis charts. Of course, the usual suspects lapped it all up.

Truth is, the FTSE100 is still quite cheap on a P/E basis (at 14, its cheaper than any other major stock market in the world). Record earnings are being posted. Deal with it.

HOLA4417

Truth is, the FTSE100 is still quite cheap on a P/E basis (at 14, its cheaper than any other major stock market in the world). Record earnings are being posted. Deal with it.

So my trackers have returned 25% over the past year, yet detached property in my area fell >7% last quarter... how am I meant to deal with this? Especially as property can only go up and I'm an idiot for not buying.

Maybe I'm just jealous? :P

HOLA4418

Very good news on the markets again. :rolleyes:

The only question is....when to lock in those profits?

Pearson (had for 10 months)...35% up :lol:

Clarke T (had for 4 months)...15% up :D

ABP (had for 8 months)....33% up. :lol:

Northumb Water (had for 4 months)...1% up :o

EMI (had for 4 years)...55% DOWN :angry:

HOLA4419
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Very good news on the markets again. :rolleyes:

The only question is....when to lock in those profits?

As long as you don`t wait for every man and his dog to do it at the same time. ;)

HOLA4420

So my trackers have returned 25% over the past year, yet detached property in my area fell >7% last quarter... how am I meant to deal with this? Especially as property can only go up and I'm an idiot for not buying.

Maybe I'm just jealous? :P

Quite. Mine too. Whats your point?

Some people seem to think a stock market crash is needed to bring on a HPC.

I don't see it that way. Housing boomed during the 2001-2003 stock market crash. Why can't the vice versa situation occur? Either way, interest rates will determine everything.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What you are seeing is the stockmarket crashing .... Dr Bubb told me it would do this last October.

He's also said house prices are crashing ...... anyone notice the similarity ;)

LOL thats made me smile.. hehehe..

HOLA4423

I guess you'll all prefer me not to point out what a dismal return this has been since 1995 when the property market recovered last time round.......

Interesting point.

That's called an asset inflationary bubble.

It was caused by dotcom stocks.

They were fashionable at the time but then everyone realised the returns were not achievable and they tanked.

In hindsight it was ridiculous to think a pc running in a student dorm was worth the same as a small country.

I think it was the 27th or 28th asset inflationary bubble recorded by history.

Warren Buffet famously avoided the whole thing.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I guess you'll all prefer me not to point out what a dismal return this has been since 1995 when the property market recovered last time round.......

In 1995, FTSE was around 3,400, so that makes a 76% return from that date, not including dividends.