House Price Crash Forum

It's not just the Uk where the government are doing their best to shaft the young. Hmm, maybe this'll give our boomer-based government some food for thought if they have any more plans to screw over the young. :P

Protesters object to new two-year job contracts for under-26s which employers can break off without explanation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4812132.stm

Just remember its the french that rioting not the british, the brits have been whipped into shape by the all smiling blair.

Take note Tony, David, Ming. The oldies may have greater voter power, but the younger generation has physical power...

No sweat as TB will give all us boomers tazers and attack dogs.............and if your really naughty your playstation street fighter games will be confiscated, plus you will all be confined to your room. :D

To right the Chuz, it would appear the Fenchies have Bigger Balls than Murdochs US mouthpiece tabliod "The Sun" gives them credit for. Whereas the mouthy brainwashed Brits just bend over and take it up the a*rse doing the bidding of the Establishment.....oh Johnny Chav off to Iraq and kill some Iraqi's for the Oil Industry

Edited by Catch22

Interesting how much media coverage an issue gets when people get off their backsides and do something.

I wonder how on earth they managed to organize a demonstration? It's obviously seriously tricky as our youngsters seem happy to just pay the rent and smile.

Sad thread and a sad story. The general consensus amongst economists is that the reason young people in France suffer such high unemployment rates is that is too hard to hire and fire new people. That's why France has higher productivity than we do - employers will do whatever it takes to avoid expanding their labour force. FWIW, a close relative of mine has run a business in France for twenty years, and his experience bears this out.

So, mindful of the riots in France among youths of African origin a few months ago (and this is a group which suffers disproportionately as you might expect in such a racist country), the French government decides to relax the labour laws to remove some of the disincentives to employing the young.

It isn't surprising to see among the French young, stupid and left-wing that this should be misinterpreted as an attack on the very people it is intended to help. After all, this is a country with its head up its own theoretical *rse, still so much in the grip of the trades unions that its labour laws protect those with jobs at the ruinous expense of those without.

It is however surprising to see such ignorance and naivety on this site. Get out of bed, put down your PSP and start reading a quality newspaper.

I'm amazed they could actually do this, just last month this country had to adjust employment law to comply with new anti-age discrimination laws that originated from Europe. I'm suprised the UK still has two levels of minimum-wage.

I can appreciate what Dominique de Villepin is trying to achieve, by relaxing the employment law he is trying to stimulate job growth, companies are very reluctant to hire new people when they know they cannot ever get rid of them; you might hire some complete idiot that costs you €50k to get rid of. Hence we get lots of firings in this country on a regular basis but would those jobs even have existed in the first place if we had a restrictive employment law?

However, why target young workers? It's clearly discriminatory and is nothing other than double-standards. If it's such a good idea then de Villepin should apply the new rules across the entire workforce.

This will be interesting as France is even more demographically screwed than the UK, not to mention their entire pension system basically consists of generous unfunded state pensions! :o

It isn't surprising to see among the French young, stupid and left-wing that this should be misinterpreted as an attack on the very people it is intended to help. After all, this is a country with its head up its own theoretical *rse

They ought to retain enough knowledge of dialectics to recognise that ideas can metamorphose into their opposite.

Edited by BuyingBear

Sad thread and a sad story. The general consensus amongst economists is that the reason young people in France suffer such high unemployment rates is that is too hard to hire and fire new people. That's why France has higher productivity than we do - employers will do whatever it takes to avoid expanding their labour force. FWIW, a close relative of mine has run a business in France for twenty years, and his experience bears this out.

So, mindful of the riots in France among youths of African origin a few months ago (and this is a group which suffers disproportionately as you might expect in such a racist country), the French government decides to relax the labour laws to remove some of the disincentives to employing the young.

It isn't surprising to see among the French young, stupid and left-wing that this should be misinterpreted as an attack on the very people it is intended to help. After all, this is a country with its head up its own theoretical *rse, still so much in the grip of the trades unions that its labour laws protect those with jobs at the ruinous expense of those without.

It is however surprising to see such ignorance and naivety on this site. Get out of bed, put down your PSP and start reading a quality newspaper.

God forbid that France becomes like the UK. I did a consultancy job for an employment agency a few years ago. I have never forgotten it. A room full of youngsters on the phone all day badgering people to let them supply their staff. Talking to the lads it turned out they were on a basic of 11k - the rest was commission.

When they did a deal they had to go to a bell and ring it - everyone else stopped what they were doing and stamped their feet and clapped their hands. The boss used to give them regular pep talks that were nauseating. On one occasion when they were below target - he lined them up in the car park and had them doing the 'funky chicken'. Quite what this was supposed to achieve, apart from completely humiliating them, is beyond me.

Our miracle economy is full of service industries like this - with young people forced to do crappy jobs for crappy money and work long and bloody hard to make a living. Then, of course, they can't afford to buy anywhere to live.

Fair play to the French for not taking it lying down.

God forbid that France becomes like the UK. I did a consultancy job for an employment agency a few years ago. I have never forgotten it. A room full of youngsters on the phone all day badgering people to let them supply their staff. Talking to the lads it turned out they were on a basic of 11k - the rest was commission.

When they did a deal they had to go to a bell and ring it - everyone else stopped what they were doing and stamped their feet and clapped their hands.

Pavlov would of just loved that :lol:

Battle for future

This is the future French elite, top students who should be full of hope for the future. Yet today, these youngsters admit to feeling a real sense of gloom about their prospects in France, where unemployment has stayed stubbornly high for years.

Jacques Heilmann is studying English, but worries about finding a job when he graduates.

"Unemployment in France is huge, and we feel let down, and we feel there is nothing to hold on to," he said. "We simply don't know where we are going."

On Thursday night, France watched on as the peaceful marches turned into running battles on the streets of central Paris in scenes more reminiscent of November's riots than images of May 1968 conjured up for some by the sight of students trying to take the Sorbonne.

And for many there was once again a sense of a nation at war with itself over how best to face the future.

The economy is the main battleground: pitching those who want change, against many of the young who feel betrayed, and long for the old certainties of jobs for life and guaranteed pensions - and a generous welfare system.

In other words, all the benefits enjoyed by the generation which took to the barricades themselves in France in May 1968, yet who can no longer promise the same for their children and grandchildren.

Battle for future

This is the future French elite, top students who should be full of hope for the future. Yet today, these youngsters admit to feeling a real sense of gloom about their prospects in France, where unemployment has stayed stubbornly high for years.

Jacques Heilmann is studying English, but worries about finding a job when he graduates.

"Unemployment in France is huge, and we feel let down, and we feel there is nothing to hold on to," he said. "We simply don't know where we are going."

Looks to me that the whole thing is about 1% radicals exploiting/encouraging 99% kindergardeners who haven't a clue or refuse to admit any changes to a system that is only going to get worse.

Compare this with the competition in Eastern Europe, India, China - gosh, even the US and you see what a pathetic state France is in.

Can't change won't change.

Edited by String Theory

Thanks 'bears all' for saving me the effort of having to write such a post.

The young in France should be protesting that their politicians are not introducing reforming measures across the economy. The lazy, arrogant and intellectually bankrupt governing classes there do not have the courage to try to make the case for liberalism, which universally works. At least our government has tried over the past couple of decades (against maddeningly ignorant media and people as demonstrated by this thread) for which we can thank unemployment only half that of France's (or a quarter for young people) and an ecomony with at least some chance of prosperity in the 21C.

Furthermore blame for €8/pint in Parisian cafes can be laid squarely at the door of rigid, self-defeating French employment laws. A real national scandal.

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

It's not just the Uk where the government are doing their best to shaft the young. Hmm, maybe this'll give our boomer-based government some food for thought if they have any more plans to screw over the young. :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4812132.stm

Why would it give our government food for thought? They KNOW you lot haven't got the balls to DO anything.

Well that's what our market economy has reduced our young people to. Performing bloody dogs. Some of the guys in there had good degrees!

In other words, all the benefits enjoyed by the generation which took to the barricades themselves in France in May 1968, yet who can no longer promise the same for their children and grandchildren.

This intrigues me - I wonder why people think free market globalization is a good thing? If you let goods into your country at a fraction of what you could produce them for .... duh, high unemployment must follow. In 1968 the West was way ahead of the East in many areas - we still produced our own coal and steel, made our own cars, made our own machine tools etc etc. It is different now. To complement the sandwich toaster recently bought in Tesco's for £5.95, my wife came home yesterday with a £3.95 non-stick frying pan. Now that is definitely too cheap to bother cleaning.

Here we seem to have large, cr@ppy service industries like estate agency, recruitment agencies, tele-sales with low wages, crummy jobs etc - but France has yet to make the painful transition to a market economy. God help them when they do because their youngsters will set the place on fire.

Edited by Marina

It isn't surprising to see among the French young, stupid and left-wing that this should be misinterpreted as an attack on the very people it is intended to help.

This law won't help them. Firms will employ young people, squeeze as much out of them as they possibly can, and give them the French equivalent of their P45 one day before the two years is up. It went on here for years; if employees get rights after one years' service, sack them the week before and then re-employ them on a new contract. Or just "rotate the workforce".

Any business will see this as carte blanche to use younger workers on this basis. Far from helping them this law will institute and perpetuate a two-tier job market in France, for those in permanent employment and those not. The udnerlying idea may be sound but this way of going about it isn't.

Marina - I think you have a very good point about globalisation.

Here at HPC we're the first to say that banks/EA/media/gov saying we should expensive houses are VI's.

What's the difference between them and the businesses/banks/govs saying globalisation is a good? They're VIs as well they don't really care about the medium/long term effect on Jo Public of globalisation, they just want to increase their profit margin.

I used to be critical of the French and their protectionism but now I can't blame them, they still have a French-owned car industry Citroen/Puegot (PSA) and Renault (who own a chunk of Nissan), apart from a few niche players like Bristol ours is in the hands of foreign companies.

As we all know manufacturing is critical to the economy of the country, I'm sure BMW/VW/Daimler Chrysler kept the German economy ticking over during their economic bad times. Even though the home market is bad they can always export and get money from dolts like the British who are prepared the MEW their houses to get the latest 3-series BMW. North Sea oil/gas has helped us during the 80's and 90's but what to do now that it is past peak and we're a net importer?

I'll be totally honest I think the continentals have got their patriotism sorted out far better than we have and a part of it is having your own industry - actually having something to be proud of (instead of having had something). I think that's the reason some Brits are so obsessive about fairly trivial/little things like imperial measures and having a union flag on the number plate of their french/german/italian/japanese car - clining to the last fragments of the country that haven't been ruined or sold off.

Which reminds me of the HP sauce advert and how very British it is - isn't it now made by Danone?

Any business will see this as carte blanche to use younger workers on this basis. Far from helping them this law will institute and perpetuate a two-tier job market in France, for those in permanent employment and those not. The udnerlying idea may be sound but this way of going about it isn't.

Employment in France resembles a fortress, bountiful and secure on the inside but a bugger to break into if you're on the outside.

They know they can just bang us up even if we try.

Man, you're wearing that one out. It was a stupid prosecution under a stupid law. They gave her a conditional discharge.

Don't hide behind that as your reason for not DOING anything.

The French Government NOW are sitting there thinking long and hard about the issues. The British Government isn't aware there are any issues.

Man, you're wearing that one out. It was a stupid prosecution under a stupid law. They gave her a conditional discharge.

They also kicked the crap out of pro-fox hunting protesters, dragged away a 82 year old man for saying "nonsense" and arrested him under the terrorism act. How may more examples would you like?

Edit: Look at what happens to property developers.

Edited by BuyingBear

They know they can just bang us up even if we try.

They can't "bang up" thousands.

I grew up in India mostly. Went to university in the UK, and since have worked in Asia. But look and sound as English as they come.

Globalisation has been a very good thing for most people I know and see. And they are much more deserving of their pittance than most in the West. Life as a peasant sucks very badly...

(one of my favourite rants is the back-backing twats whinging about place like Bali being spoiled by progress. France has a huge tourist industry and motorways. No, there aren't photogenic little boys herding ducks around anymore in Bali - and why? Because their parents can now afford to send them to school)

They can't "bang up" thousands.

Exactly, every thing in life is a numbers game...............in the city more "sellers" will beat less "buyers" every time.

You beat the State and it's Police Minders by putting more numbers than they can onto the streets. You ensure it is non violent, leave the violence to them. Obviously "they" will attempt to orchestrate violence by using plain clothed "plants" but you have got to ignore them. You see they don't mind being out numbered as long as the can prove to the populace at large sat in front of their TV's watching the "managed media" that they had to gas and kick the shit out of you to maintain public order.

But they will only arouse abhhorence in the population at large if they are seen beating up and locking up people who are making a non violent but immoveable protest for the right to afford a decent home at a reasonable price.

The Blaires and at least one Cabinet Minister are tainted with big money mortgage issuses, the Nu Labour core running the party are dispised by the back benchers. And the police the State's minders are held more in comtempt as each decade passes.

Organise, get off your arses and get on the streets........................The America Boomer generation, helped in small part by the British Boomer generation you oft find time to dispise, brought about an end to the war in Vietnam by taking to the streets. And some how I just don't think these spineless Nu Labour control freaks complicite and acting in concert with a VI industry who are intent on maintaining inflated house prices have the stomach for a fight. Well not in the same way the "Industrial Military Complex" were ie: shooting protesters on the streets

Power to The Proletariat

Exactly, every thing in life is a numbers game...............in the city more "sellers" will beat less "buyers" every time.

You beat the State and it's Police Minders by putting more numbers than they can onto the streets. You ensure it is non violent, leave the violence to them. Obviously "they" will attempt to orchestrate violence by using plain clothed "plants" but you have got to ignore them. You see they don't mind being out numbered as long as the can prove to the populace at large sat in front of their TV's watching the "managed media" that they had to gas and kick the shit out of you to maintain public order.

But they will only arouse abhhorence in the population at large if they are seen beating up and locking up people who are making a non violent but immoveable protest for the right to afford a decent home at a reasonable price.

The Blaires and at least one Cabinet Minister are tainted with big money mortgage issuses, the Nu Labour core running the party are dispised by the back benchers. And the police the State's minders are held more in comtempt as each decade passes.

Organise, get off your arses and get on the streets........................The America Boomer generation, helped in small part by the British Boomer generation you oft find time to dispise, brought about an end to the war in Vietnam by taking to the streets. And some how I just don't think these spineless Nu Labour control freaks complicite and acting in concert with a VI industry who are intent on maintaining inflated house prices have the stomach for a fight. Well not in the same way the "Industrial Military Complex" were ie: shooting protesters on the streets

Power to The Proletariat

You don't necessarily need numbers but commitment. 3 Guys driving articulated rigs at 5mph down the M25 will cause more disruption than 1,000 demonstrators in Trafalger Square. Can you imagine how easily 20 or 30 people could bring the country to a complete halt if they were commited enough.

The system is actually very vulnerable to any well organised group.

Power to the Prolatariat? Is that you Wolfie? :D