House Price Crash Forum

Strong Uk Retail Sales Recorded

HOLA441

http://www.dailyfx.com/story/dailyfx-finan...keyword=article

"Pound Down Despite Strong Retail Sales

Thursday, 16 March 2006

Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

Written by DailyFX Research Team

The pound traded slightly down in the London session despite the UK retail sales increase of 0.5% from the expected 0.4%. Annualized retail sales picked up 2.1% from the previous 1.3%. The growth was attributed to consumers, who account for two-thirds of the country’s economy, spending more on clothing and footwear. In addition, the RICS house price balance rose 17%, significantly higher than the estimated 10%, revealing robust housing inflation. The combined releases offer strong evidence to the Bank of England that the economy is on track for expansion this year. The GBP/USD traded around 1.7465 at 10:53 GMT, down from the New York close of 1.7480." - click on link for rest of article.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Bart of Darkness

More spending on clothes...

That was me. I bought my first item of clothing in almost a year. Big ticket item too -- a pair of brand new jeans. Asda's turnover was boosted by £3.

Time to give "Spendahoilcs" a call. :)

HOLA444

That was me. I bought my first item of clothing in almost a year. Big ticket item too -- a pair of brand new jeans. Asda's turnover was boosted by £3.

You can't carry on spending this way Jeff Ross. Buying into the consumerist dream won't make you happy.

Just think of your family, that's all we ask. They're depending on you, Jeff.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

"Pound Down Despite Strong Retail Sales

Written by DailyFX Research Team

The pound traded slightly down in the London session despite the UK retail sales increase of 0.5% from the expected 0.4%. Annualized retail sales picked up 2.1% from the previous 1.3%.

Just goes to show how data can be interpreted however you want it to be.

The 'DailyFX Research Team' is using one month data for comparison. The ONS warns that this is unreliable, which is why they use 3-month data to get a better picture.

Things look different when you compare the latest 3 months with the previous 3 months. From the ONS Retail Sales News Release:

Retail sales: underlying growth continues to slow

Figures today from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that the underlying rate of retail sales growth slowed further in February following a relatively weak January. This contrasts with a period of increasing growth seen towards the end of 2005.

The volume of retail sales in the three months December 2005 to February 2006 was 0.5 per cent higher than in the previous three months. This follows growth of 1.3 per cent in the three months to January and compares with a decrease of 0.9 per cent at the same time in 2005.

Next month the strong December figs will drop out of the rolling average, so unless March is also very strong, the trend will continue to worsen.

HOLA448

Went into Debenhams last night. They have a 3 day 25% off everything!!!. Shop assistant said it had been very quiet and was unusal as they don't usuallly discount like this at this time of year.!

Hubby is talking to colleagues in the event industry, everybody is quiet!!!

Lou

HOLA449
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Yep, I did my bit got a BOGOF on 2 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of slippers for the fireside. ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yep, I did my bit got a BOGOF on 2 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of slippers for the fireside. ;)

I did a BOGOHP last week on walking shoes. I went into blacks and they had a pair of shoes I was interested in for £60, decided to shop arround and went into Hargreaves and got 2 pairs of the same shoes for £90.