House Price Crash Forum
mikthe20

Car Industry As Indicator?

As I think I've mentioned here before I STR'd our cars a couple of years ago - worked out that there were some good deals around for leasing cars for less then the depreciation of a nearly-new car purchase. No need to tax them or new tyres or maintenance either. Has worked very well, although my friends can't get their heads round the idea and seem to think we're either loaded or stupid - it's actually cheaper than owning. And before anyone says I should run a banger, I have kids and want reliable cars and I like cars anyway. The numbers work for me.

Anyway, lease is due to expire soon on my wife's car (I usually get 12 or 24-month deals, don't like more than that) and I've been surprised at how many special offers there are compared to 12 months ago. Often manufacturers would rather get rid of excess stock through leasing rather than let joe-public buy a cheap car at the dealer. For example, a new Merc A-class with aircon can be had for £130+VAT a month.

Anyway, I also like to see what the indicators are in the industry since I can see how hard I can push a delaer/leasing company, and of course there are official figures (Society of Motor Industries). There's also a few gossip forums for the industry. One thread here seems to show it's looking very tough right now:

North West car sales

Thought this might be of interest. I think I'll wait until we're in April before I really give them a going over - looks like the March selling season with the new registration (Spring bounce?) isn't going too well.

Try: ContractHireLeasing

A good site to let you search all of the best leasing deals out there.

I was leasing for a while.

Cost me £169 a month (inc VAT) on a 3+11 deal (12 months).

Went into the showroom of the car dealer and the closest they could get to the price was a deposit of £5K, with payments of £320 a month and a baloon payment of £3500 at the end of three years..... not likely.

And on a 12 month deal you can change your car every year :):)

The only reason I don't lease now is the company miles I do, so have a co car instead.

As I think I've mentioned here before I STR'd our cars a couple of years ago - worked out that there were some good deals around for leasing cars for less then the depreciation of a nearly-new car purchase. No need to tax them or new tyres or maintenance either. Has worked very well, although my friends can't get their heads round the idea and seem to think we're either loaded or stupid - it's actually cheaper than owning. And before anyone says I should run a banger, I have kids and want reliable cars and I like cars anyway. The numbers work for me.

Anyway, lease is due to expire soon on my wife's car (I usually get 12 or 24-month deals, don't like more than that) and I've been surprised at how many special offers there are compared to 12 months ago. Often manufacturers would rather get rid of excess stock through leasing rather than let joe-public buy a cheap car at the dealer. For example, a new Merc A-class with aircon can be had for £130+VAT a month.

Anyway, I also like to see what the indicators are in the industry since I can see how hard I can push a delaer/leasing company, and of course there are official figures (Society of Motor Industries). There's also a few gossip forums for the industry. One thread here seems to show it's looking very tough right now:

North West car sales

Thought this might be of interest. I think I'll wait until we're in April before I really give them a going over - looks like the March selling season with the new registration (Spring bounce?) isn't going too well.

can you tell me the leasing co. name ?.....fancy a deal like that myself ! :)

Looks like tha average German isn't doing to bad if the cars they drive is anything to go by.

Actually the German car industry is too reliable for its own good. Sales of new cars have been flat or falling for some years in Germany and this has been baffling economists as the natural renewal cycle means cars have to be replaced eventually regardless of aspirational factors, however this cycle has been stretched.

Edited by BuyingBear

And before anyone says I should run a banger, I have kids and want reliable cars and I like cars anyway. The numbers work for me.

It's not that old cars aren't reliable, you don't know anything about cars.

Car loan applications at black horse loans/ finance are 20-30% down from last year so a member of their staff tells me.

Edited by music man

can you tell me the leasing co. name ?.....fancy a deal like that myself ! :)

You can check here: Contract Hoire & Leasing

Can't see the £129 deal there right now (nearest is £139). If you're interested PM me and I can check who the £129 one was with (I'm on a different PC so don't have it to hand). HTH.

It's not that old cars aren't reliable, you don't know anything about cars.

You don't know anything about manners.

Interesting idea... I have a 04-plate Fabia VRS which is two years old this month. 24k on the clock. It’s worth around £8k I expect, owned outright. Total annual costs are insurance ~£400, servicing ~£200, tyres ~£200, tax ~£115, lost interest on not having the £8k in the bank ~£320, fuel ~£1000 and depreciation ~£1500.

So total costs are ~£3735 (£311 a month). Am I right in thinking all I’d save by leasing would be the depreciation, serving, road tax and tyres (£2015, £167 a month) or would insurance be included as well saving (£2415, £201)?

So if I could find a suitable car for less than £200 a month it might be a good deal? Does that sound about right?

So if I could find a suitable car for less than £200 a month it might be a good deal? Does that sound about right?

That's correct. Insurance is not included but everything else you state is. Key (like everything) is to shop around as there are some great deals around but also some awful ones. Oh, when doing your sums don't forget that most lease policies are on a 3-month deposit then monthly rental - eg. 3+11 payments for one year, or 3+23 for two years. Adds a bit to the cost so it's important to do the sums right. There usually aren't any otehr charges might some might try to charge a delivery fee or set-up fee - just go elsewhere as most will do them for free.

That's correct. Insurance is not included but everything else you state is. Key (like everything) is to shop around as there are some great deals around but also some awful ones. Oh, when doing your sums don't forget that most lease policies are on a 3-month deposit then monthly rental - eg. 3+11 payments for one year, or 3+23 for two years. Adds a bit to the cost so it's important to do the sums right. There usually aren't any otehr charges might some might try to charge a delivery fee or set-up fee - just go elsewhere as most will do them for free.

I'll have a look this weekend - Do you get the deposit back at the end? How are they with minor wear and tear, stone chips, kurbed alloys etc? Is it much more if you go over 10k?