House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Don't Surf

Barclay's 10% Account

I was going to sign up for a Barclay's 10% account. It pays 10% AER - I didn't quite understand what was meant by AER but I'd imagine it still translates to a pretty healthy rate.

Anybody think of a reason why I shouldn't stick a load of cash into one of these accounts.

Cheers,

Chris

I was going to sign up for a Barclay's 10% account. It pays 10% AER - I didn't quite understand what was meant by AER but I'd imagine it still translates to a pretty healthy rate.

Anybody think of a reason why I shouldn't stick a load of cash into one of these accounts.

Cheers,

Chris

At a guess they limit the amount u can put in and its probably for a limited time frame only ?

without even needing to look at the small print this is a guess :P

Guest Bart of Darkness

Spot on ExeC.

You need to either have a Barclays current account or open one before you can have a 10% account.

You need to pay £1000 into your current account per month.

You can only pay between £25 and £250 into your 10% account per month.

The account lasts one year, no withdrawals allowed during that time.

At the end of the 12 month term the Regular Saver account will be converted to a Barclays Easy Saver account

Alliance & Leicester have the same set-up, however their current account you only have to put £500 a month in. Limit for saver account is £250 per month and the deal only lasts a year. I've subscribed, and am moving my current account out of HSBC into A+L

...so you put in 1250 per month.

The 250 gets a high rate (if its in for a year and no withdrawls etc etc)

but the 1000 portion stays in a crappy current account paying sod all.

If I have that right, when you consider the interest earned on the 1k portion I bet it turns out pretty crap rate overall.....

If I have that right, when you consider the interest earned on the 1k portion I bet it turns out pretty crap rate overall.....

With Alliance & Leicesters - you only have to pay in £500 a month. You can pay it in then take it straight out

the same day! Though they pay 5% on their current account (reverting to 2.5% in 2007 - i think!)

Edited by OzzMosiz

You can take the 1k out! You just have to have your salary to be paid in there (which must be above £1k)

AER = Annual Equivalent Rate

I have this account, and if you can guarantee not to touch it, it's worth it.

Although, last night I realised the transfer is now £1k per day for online banking (previously £2k). Nothing related to the regular saver, but dam annoying when your moving more than £1k surplus cash to other accounts (yes, I could use telephone banking..).

Previous discussion on it: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...wtopic=24340&hl