House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mad'un

Job Losses? How's This....

This has been kept out of the news for some time now, and I cannot understand why.

On Monday 20th March the SIA (Security Industry Authority - founded by the Govt) Regulations come into force. This means that from Monday, unlicenced security officers will not be able to work legally. Bear in mind that there are more security officers than there are police officers. There is a real mess and back-log of applications for licences, but the reality is that many smaller security firms have not licenced their officers and will not be able to operate legally. In real terms this means that anywhere between 40,000 and 70,000 security officers in England and Wales may be unable to work unless they and their customers are prepared to risk operating illegally and incurring massive fines and possible jail sentences.

(before anyone suggests it, I know for a fact that it is highly unlikely that Govt will extend a period of grace now.)

More info at:

http://www.bsia.co.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects/BSIA.woa (check the public forums)

http://www.the-sia.org.uk/home

I think it as incredible that the press haven't got hold of this yet!

This could make the odd few-hundred job losses look meaningless if the implications are as large as I suspect they may get to be.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

This has been known now the past five years.

The Security Industry now comes under the NSI ( National Security Inspectorate ) who vet all companies working in the industry who are required to conform to their codes of practice. It is a nightmare in paperwork and great financial expense to a company. My company`s approval took a year of inspections and estimated cost 20k. Well at least if I am forced back to work my vetting is to senior management level. ;)