House Price Crash Forum

Pricedout.org.uk Launches

HOLA441

http://www.pricedout.org.uk/News/tabid/90/Default.aspx

PricedOut.org.uk launches campaign highlighting unaffordable house prices

15th March 2006

In his 1997 budget speech Gordon Brown said the following: "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future." He said he was determined that the UK should not return to the "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980s and 1990s.*

Despite the Chancellor of the Exchequer's best intentions this is exactly what has happened, but this time it's worse. Today rampant house price inflation and speculation has left UK property at the most unaffordable levels ever recorded. Worse still than the early 1980's and 1990's.

We are issuing a rallying call to all those who are affected by scandalously high prices to make your voices heard. If you, or someone you care about, is affected by this issue come to our website, sign up and pass the message on.

PricedOut will shortly be announcing a series of initiatives designed to raise public awareness of this campaign.

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Good luck with this, DBT. I think it is a great idea to focus on the human side of this situation rather than the market based HPC approach (though HPC is great too!).

The human effects are what need to be conveyed to garner widespread support.

Well done!

Thanks, obviously we're huge fans of HPC but felt that a different angle was needed for this sort of campaign. If you're in the same situation as us come over, sign up and hopefully we can get the critical mass we need to start creating some waves.

HOLA447
HOLA448

"BBC News, Evan Davis

An interesting article and thought provoking article by the BBC's economics editor.

"When house prices rise on the other hand, society is no richer. We have the same houses and the same people to live in them.

Higher house prices simply re-distribute money from those on the way up the housing ladder, to those on the way down, or from younger people who don't own homes, or own small ones, to their parents who own family property. "

"

This article is mentioned on the site. A HPCer last night or a few nights ago urgently requested this story... and that we find it. Would not tell the reason why... I think we have found it. They have set up that site.

Edit: oh it was doublebubletrouble. He he he he.

Edited by coolaftershave

HOLA449

It will, of course, go down like a lead balloon with the general public. "Excuse me, sir. Would you mind signing this petition that will hopefully destroy the value of your main asset?”

:huh:

I don't think your average man on the street would spend to much time arguing that house prices are too high and that it's a disaster that noone can afford them any more.

Besides this campaign is as much about changing attitudes to house prices as the prices themselves.

Look at my new avatar. It's from Homes under the Hammer. If you ever watch the intro sequence to that it's all houses and money with the values going up all the time. It's completely sickening.

We need to start getting the message out there that homes are not investments, people need to live in them.

Albeit it will take time but you've got to start somewhere!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I don't think your average man on the street would spend to much time arguing that house prices are too high and that it's a disaster that noone can afford them any more.

Besides this campaign is as much about changing attitudes to house prices as the prices themselves.

Look at my new avatar. It's from Homes under the Hammer. If you ever watch the intro sequence to that it's all houses and money with the values going up all the time. It's completely sickening.

We need to start getting the message out there that homes are not investments, people need to live in them.

Albeit it will take time but you've got to start somewhere!

I agree, even if I am verging on bulldom these days. As a country, we fell for it hook, line and sinker. Now for those FTBs that can enter the market, they will be ploughing money into their mortgages and not the wider economy...and for some years to come. I wonder if that even occured to Mr. Brown?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Winners and Losers

Now if I were a landlord (which I am not) and I'd got someone to rent my property and pay off my mortgage then I might just doubt that statement.

Funny that? My tenants are not paying off my mortgage and I am not paying off the mortgage of my landlord. Not nearly.

HOLA4419

Are you able to call yourself an 'org' without being a registered charity?

I believe as long as you are not a commercial entity you are fine.

If the interest in the campaign is strong enough I have committed to transfering the site into a properly incorporated non-profit organisation (if we can do that as a charity so be it, I haven't looked into yet).

HOLA4420
Guest Winners and Losers

I believe as long as you are not a commercial entity you are fine.

If there is interest in the campaign is strong enough I have committed to transfering the site into a properly incorporated non-profit organisation (if we can do that as a charity so be it, I haven't looked into yet).

I'm looking into it as we speak. I have worked in the sector for many years. They all start off this way. Issues could be with political or propogandist material. I'll keep you posted. :)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'm looking into it as we speak. I have worked in the sector for many years. They all start off this way. Issues could be with political or propogandist material. I'll keep you posted. :)

That'd be great... please let me know.

HPC guru's any chance of a plug on the Blog?

HOLA4423

Really good site.

'Homes for people, not profit'

Says it all! Should be a good alternative angle to HPC, where the empahisis is on free market fairies at the bottom of the garden skipping around in little cycles rather than the massive social and economic policy failures by certain rich and powerful men, which have left society with virtually no affordable housing to rent or buy.

Hopefully, the site will also focus on the lack of social housing and the lack of decent rights for tennants in the overpriced private sector.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Would it be worth having a 1 pager of steps people can take to 'spread the word'. Examples would be linking to the site from your signature on forums

That would be great, if you want to help support us do the following.

1. Visit the site.

2. Sign up (this is important, the more people we sign up the stronger our message)

3. Put our banner in your signatures on whatever BB's you use, on HPC use;

(url=http://www.pricedout.org.uk)(img)http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/uploads/photo-1528.png(/img)(/url)

NOTE: swap the ( and ) for [ and ]

4. Tell everyone you know about us

5. Mention us on other bulletin boards

6. Come and help us out!