House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spline

Number Of Households To Jump 20% By 2026

Number of Households to Jump 20% by 2026

Reuters: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...-HOUSEHOLDS.xml

Looks like housing demand is going up, up, and away – at least according to this ODPM study that predicts an increase in the number of households in England from 20.9 million in 2003 to an eye-popping 25.7 million by 2026.

That’s about 1% sustained annual growth supported by the trend towards a higher proportion of single-person households.

I can't remember the text book definition but isn't demand something like "desire backed up with an ability to pay"?

If we have 5M new households then most will be single person, so we need prices to fall in relation to the earnings of "single people" for them to afford them.

Slightly off topic, but I have just come up with the solution to all this. Hall of residence. Get a massive building programme started, keep pushing up tuition fees so student numbers fall, and then make it compulsory to live at home or in halls until you are 30 - whether you're a student or not.

might increase the birth rate amongst non-chavs as well.

I saw this on the BBC news last night, I had to laugh as they gave the reason for these millions of new homes as being just more single person households. Nothing to do with the few million our population is expected to grow by then? Unbelievable.

i reckon were already at about a peak in single person housholds, its already at about 30% of households.This report saying a rise like this means about 50%, that quite frankly is crap.

To achive this practically every single man in the country would have to live alone

i reckon were already at about a peak in single person housholds, its already at about 30% of households.This report saying a rise like this means about 50%, that quite frankly is crap.

To achive this practically every single man in the country would have to live alone

Judging by the female stock available in the UK, I think this could be achieved! :)

Which in essence would mean less births, thus less population (unless we are expecting a flood of immigration)

Judging by the female stock available in the UK, I think this could be achieved! :)

Could be achieved - especially as everytime you wanted to pro-create (or practice ;) ) you'd have to get

her to fill out a contract first!!!

Economists said such rapid growth would further stretch the supply of houses and should underpin house price inflation in Britain which has only recently slowed from double-digit increases

The statement from the government that attempts to keep HPI alive by predicting doom and gloom fails to take into account affordability. Demand must correlate to ability to pay. With FTBs already finished (unless parents MEW and give gifts generously) and employment eroding with IT being offshored and manufacturing being transferred to more competetive markets while North Sea Oil dries up who will be left to buy the 1 million pound flats? A poor country cannot afford expensive housing.

Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown's HPI could eventually destroy the country by removing all hope. Who will want to live in a little Britain with little manufacturing, no North Sea oil to rely on, offshored IT, choked cities, massive single population caused by divorce and other social and psychological dysfunctions, higher taxes (to pay for the loss of production and manufacturing base), and a smiling Chancellor raising his little red briefcase thinking how grateful the sheeple should be with all this borrowed wealth.

What will happen when this nation becomes choked with people without jobs to do and relying on foreign fuel to keep warm? Will HPI keep everyone happy? Will HPI even be a reality? The picture painted by the government suggests we will have to build mass social housing on a scale hitherto seen only in novels like 1984. With North Sea Oil about to dry up the wealth will go with it unless something is done to get this country out of reliance upon debt as a substitute for production. HPI is poison despite Brown's pride in his miracle that has been based on it.

Edited by Realistbear

Which in essence would mean less births, thus less population (unless we are expecting a flood of immigration)

Could be achieved - especially as everytime you wanted to pro-create (or practice ;) ) you'd have to get

her to fill out a contract first!!!

i wonder if you need the document signed and verified by a witness.

if so you can always ask her husband

i wonder if you need the document signed and verified by a witness.

if so you can always ask her husband

hehe :)

I've had 3 wives - never been married though ;)

With FTBs already finished (unless parents MEW and give gifts generously) and employment eroding with IT being offshored and manufacturing being transferred to more competetive markets while North Sea Oil dries up who will be left to buy the 1 million pound flats?

Sorry I just have to point out that there are STILL more IT jobs in the UK now than there was at the height of the last IT jobs boom! The argument that IT offshoring is shrinking the UK IT workforce is just plain false.

Edited by Gtr London FTB

Sorry I just have to point out that there are STILL more IT jobs in the UK now than there was at the height of the last IT jobs boom! The argument that IT offshoring is shrinking the UK IT workforce is just plain false.

How do you explain the growth in IT jobs in India etc? The latest from that country is that they are now offshoring their IT jobs to Bangladesh where wages are lower!

Tried phoning for tech support for computer related problems lately? Not much "ow can I 'elp you me old china?"

Tried phoning for tech support for computer related problems lately? Not much "ow can I 'elp you me old china?"

Can you clarify, is that a cockney or one of the Indian staff who have been trained by watching Eastenders videos? :lol:

CONSIDERING THE BIRTH RATE IS DOWN DUE TO FINANCIAL PRESSURES ON YOUNG COUPLES /FTB'S DUE MAINLY TO HOUSE PRICE INFLATION, CAN'T SEE A PROBLEM

BY 2026 POST WAR BABY BOOMERS WILL BE DIEING OFF AND SLOW BIRTH RATES WILL PROBABLY MORE THAN COUNTERACT EACH OTHER.

IF ANYTHING THEY'LL BE A SURPLUS. EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T BUILD ANY NEW HOUSING AFTER TODAY

I can't remember the text book definition but isn't demand something like "desire backed up with an ability to pay"?

If we have 5M new households then most will be single person, so we need prices to fall in relation to the earnings of "single people" for them to afford them.

The FTB is dead. Most of the new homess will be rented by HPC converts paying off other peoples mortgages..

The FTB is dead. Most of the new homess will be rented by HPC converts paying off other peoples mortgages..

You're such a troll!

:rolleyes:

You're such a troll!

:rolleyes:

Only stating the obvious my friend. Look at history and ask yourself whether home ownership by the masses is typical or not. The problem you have is that your expectations of home owwnership are based upon what happened in the late 20th century before free market economics gave my generation the wealth at your expense. I never voted for Thatcher but upon reflection my generation got the one off benefits from her policies.

i cant see the need to tear up all the countryside when there are ENOUGH homes already in the uk.

only the problem is people like TTRTT own more than one.

thats the whole problem.

greedy BTLs, not housing stocks.

anyhoo' y'know these new 5x million homes will be...

a. cheap and nasty quality

b. brownfield mostly

c. rife with flippers

d. over inflation prices

e. over subscribed

f. half purchased

g. loss making

the countrys gone property mad. this wont help.

FTB market is dead. Quite true. With unemployment engulfing the country like a wildfire there will be many more renters on the scene having given back their MEW box to the banks. The problem is that many will be skint and unable to pay other than a bare rent.

Recessions show no mercy to either landlord or tenant alike. The cogs of the economic cycle grind ahead and chew up the unprepared without favouritism. Now is a good time to try to sell speculative properties and especially those with low yields. Think like a Boy Scout and not so much like Del Boy.