House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
New Bear

A Parable Of The Noughties

In between reading the forum why not read a novel? For a wonderfully comic take on life in noughties Britain take a look at Sue Townsend's "Adrian Mole and the Weapon's of Mass Destruction". Great from the first page, it opens with Adrian's letter to Tony Blair, thanking him for his warning about the imminent threat of the destruction of Cyprus from Saddam Hussein's WMDs. Adrian has, of course, just booked a holiday there and is asking Tony for help in getting his deposit back.

More to the HPC point is the narrative thread that starts on p5 with this:

"Saturday October 5th 2002

I viewed a loft apartment at the Old Battery Factory, Rat Wharf, today. Mark B'astard, the estate agent, told me the properties are being snapped up by the 'Buy to Let' crowd...He went on to tell me that Eric Shift, the scrap-metal multi-millionaire who would own the freehold of my property, had bought the whole of Rat Wharf and was hoping to transform it into Leicester's equivalent of the Left Bank in Paris...Before we left I went out on the balcony...A fox walked along the opposite towpath with a Tesco's carrier bag in its mouth. A brown creature (a water vole, I think) slipped into the canal and swam out of sight. The swans floated majestically by. The biggest swan looked me straight in the eye, as if to say 'Welcome to your new home Adrian.'"

The whole debt and housing debacle is hilariously satirized. :D:D:D

Edited by New Bear