House Price Crash Forum

Where To Put Our Deposit?

robster

HOLA441

We have decided to continue renting for another year and have around £30,000 put aside for a deposit.

We've currently got it in an esavings account with the Bradford and Bingley, earning 4.85% AER p/a.

We've never had a significant amount to invest before and wondered whether this was the most effective use of our money. Any ideas/advice would be welcome. We wouldn't tiw up the cash for too long

cheers in advance

HOLA442

We have decided to continue renting for another year and have around £30,000 put aside for a deposit.

We've currently got it in an esavings account with the Bradford and Bingley, earning 4.85% AER p/a.

We've never had a significant amount to invest before and wondered whether this was the most effective use of our money. Any ideas/advice would be welcome. We wouldn't tiw up the cash for too long

cheers in advance

Stick 3K in a cash ISA - Alliance & Leicester do one at 5.15% - tax free this way. Also get 3K in before April then you can add another 3K after April.

Alliance & L also do a savings of 5.15 I believe.

I sounds like a promotions guy for A+L

HOLA443

cheers in advance

Depends how bold you feel.

What I have done in the last couple of years is use my full ISA allowance, using £4k of it for shares I have been advised on.

The two holdings I bought in this time have grown by 33% and 15% respectively + dividends. Mind you my most recent one has done nothing for 3 months.

As you dont wish to tie the cash up then perhaps not for you...but who knows...you could end up making a grand or two more...

HOLA444

Stick 3K in a cash ISA - Alliance & Leicester do one at 5.15% - tax free this way. Also get 3K in before April then you can add another 3K after April.

Alliance & L also do a savings of 5.15 I believe.

I sounds like a promotions guy for A+L

A+L have dropped thier savings rate to 4.25% now (they removed the bonus) not so hot anymore, thier ISA is still one of the best so long as it includes the bonus.

As soon as i opend the account they went and dropped thier rate, gits :lol:

HOLA445

A+L have dropped thier savings rate to 4.25% now (they removed the bonus) not so hot anymore, thier ISA is still one of the best so long as it includes the bonus.

ISA rate is guaranteed until April 2007. Though interest is only paid on Jan of the year. Therefore I am tranferring mine in until January 2008 where I will likely move it out again to the next best offer.