House Price Crash Forum

Btl Students

HOLA441

Did you know that the Bath Building Society are targeting students as potential BTL landlords?

"It is based on the idea that the mortgage would be covered by rent from the spare rooms.

"At the end of the day, it will help students get into the property market.

"It will also help parents, who will have the peace of mind of knowing their children are living in decent quality housing."

Not sure a student house could necessarily be guarenteed as 'decent quality housing' owned by the student or not.

http://www.channel4.com/4money/news_feed.j...11142267181A000

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Lots of my mates did BTL when they where at uni, they did very well out of it and have since traded up to bigger and better things. Basically they bought a 3 bedroom terrace and charged rent to 2 mates while they basically lived in it for free for 4 years. The capital gains on the house when they finished uni where huge and set them up for life basically. It worked for them back then, but I wouldnt imagine getting any appreciation these days.

HOLA446

Lots of my mates did BTL when they where at uni, they did very well out of it and have since traded up to bigger and better things. Basically they bought a 3 bedroom terrace and charged rent to 2 mates while they basically lived in it for free for 4 years. The capital gains on the house when they finished uni where huge and set them up for life basically. It worked for them back then, but I wouldnt imagine getting any appreciation these days.

I think you are right, students will not be able to pay anything like what is required to make up the mortgage repayments in this day and age (even a group of them sharing).

This may be affordable (but rather stupid) for a landlord who has another form of income, but a student has either no, or little other income (part-time job/loans). I can only assume this shortfall would have to be made up by the (anything for my little darling) parent.

I can think of far more pleasurable ways of throwing away my money.

HOLA447

I think you are right, students will not be able to pay anything like what is required to make up the mortgage repayments in this day and age (even a group of them sharing).

This may be affordable (but rather stupid) for a landlord who has another form of income, but a student has either no, or little other income (part-time job/loans). I can only assume this shortfall would have to be made up by the (anything for my little darling) parent.

I can think of far more pleasurable ways of throwing away my money.

So,

no more FTBers

no more BTLers

no more bonus fuelled investors

no more SiPPs based investors

students??????????

When are the lenders going to give up?

Edited by murpaul

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Unemployed HPC advocates in 2 years time :lol:. No wait a minute that WOULD be mad.

Really, I expected more from you.

No, wait a minute, that WOULD be mad.

Back to the real topic...

If the son/daughter 'owns' the house and lives in it, would there be some sort of tax saving as far as the 'rent a room' scheme (rather than it being a BTL) and if the house was sold when the son/daughter moved out? In the past student BTL's had to be owned by the parent, incurring various tax liabilities. I don't nessesarily think this is a bad thing as whether the house is bought by the child or parent it is to provide a home (I suppose that's vaguely true).

On the whole, I do think it stinks though. An 18 year old with no income, getting a £100,000+ loan! The parents having to cough up the repayments if the 18 year old and his/her mates miss the repayments (hmm, how likely is that to happen?). Eventually, when the parents can't afford the repayments and the house is worth ??% less than they bought it for, the bank get the house and the parents life savings?

HOLA4413
Guest boredwaiting

I lived in two student houses owned by the students (backed by mum and dad) - they also did very well. I remember when they were selling - they couldn't believe how much they made (if only the waited another 5 years :) ) But they did get a good footing on the ladder - it's a way to go to university and not get left behind.

My friends from school who didn't go to university have their own houses, married and have kids. I am getting married this year. I am way behind... However I am the second out of my 'crowd' at uni to get married. One of the landlords in my student days (not really a friend, more of a mate) is married and has one kid....

I think there is a lot more about having a home and being settled than having equity and value. Although the risk of negative equity and being trapped scares me - people who are getting on with their lives don't let this bother them.... and as we know there is no day of reckoning on the horizon....