House Price Crash Forum

100% Mortgages For Students

HOLA441

From this morning's metro:

Teenage students can become property magnates under a new scheme launched yesterday. Undergraduates will be allowed to take out 100% mortgages on properties worth up to £250k, renting out spare rooms to cover the repayments. The package is being launched by Bath Building Society, which claims to be the first lender to offer such a deal. The product is aimed at students in Bath and Bristol but can be taken out by youngsters at other universities. Malcom Graham-Jones, the building society's head of lending, said young people applying for mortgages would need their parents to act as aguarantors. "It will help students get on to the property market," he added.

Run! Run for the hills! The end is nigh!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Crazy!!!! :blink:

Especially considering

a) The numbers going to uni are now declining (people have realised Media Studies degrees are worthless)

b ) In Bristol the biggest uni is in the process of building thousands of halls of residence on their site - this will have a big impact on the rental market in Bristol.

That scheme sounds like financial suicide.

Edited by Pete95

HOLA445
Guest Guy_Montag

This has been going on for years in various guises.

When I was at uni, I knew lots of people who had mortgages (interest only for the first 4-5 years) at or near 100%, but their parents had to act as garunteurs(sp??).

Mostly they made a little money out of it, but being tenements, if the roof needed replaced or something like that they would have been in real trouble.

HOLA446

This has been going on for years in various guises.

I think there have always been parents who would buy properties for their kids to live in while at uni, and treat it as an investment on the side. Some might even have had the mortgages in the child's name.

The thing that struck me about this was 1) that no deposit is required - is 100% BTL common elsewhere? It certainly doesn't sound like a good idea; and 2) that this is being pitched directly to students, not their parents. The idea that you need to get a foot on the ladder when you're at least three years away from earning a wage and probably don't want to stay in the area is both ridiculous and dangerous.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410