• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Yes. Just don't want to pay over the odds for the biggest purchase of my life. Why bother with things like January sales etc (actually I don't come think of it) and then spend 50-200k more than you might just because the nice man at the bank will lend you the money at a low IR. It's still my money that has to pay it back in the end.

EDIT: Should add I am luckily in a postion to simply wait and see what happens.

Edited by Anti_Claus

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest Winners and Losers

My sentiment has not changed. I think there will be a HPC at some point. I was just curious about motivations. I am not willing to pay over the odds - done that already.

HOLA4410

definite change of sentiment..on this website, that is. ttrtr must be enjoying this.

Why? We are not buying when theoretically we could. That means we are holding on to our money. Money the market needs if it is to continue this madness.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Well I've put no as we now have no income due to redundancy but 6 months ago we could just afford to buy a house in chav central.

That wasn't working on 3.5x income that was based on that them affordability calculations, like.

HOLA4416
Guest Winners and Losers

Hey Winner and Losers don't you bark at me or I'll claw your ass!

I like my bum being scratched! Woof, woof.

HOLA4417

Yes but again at the very bottom of the market with a maxed out mortgage. After paying bills it would be touch and go. I'd definitely be into my overdraft each month. If interest rates rose I'd end up in a financial black hole.

Buying in the current market would not improve my quality of life. To me happiness and good health are not something I would exchange for a 2 bed in a rundown part of town.

Mr Joe.

Edited by Mr Joe

HOLA4418

definite change of sentiment..on this website, that is. ttrtr must be enjoying this.

Dear Benjamin,

My sentiment hasn't changed. I always knew that I could buy an 8*10 studio in Finsbury Park. Actually Manor House and some distance from the tube, and in an area that is fairly uncomfortable for a lone woman to walk around at night, but I know that shouldn't affect my decision.

Its a struggle I have been having with myself for a long time. I know, I should be a strong decisive powerful woman ready to leap at real estate opportunities. Maybe its something from my childhood, the lack of a strong father figure. I've read Freud, but it doesn't seem to help. Maybe its post traumatic stress from when some guy tried to mug me in Paris. Or maybe its just a simple lack of faith in myself that hasn't taken me there yet. I just keep asking myself the same question. It goes round and round in my head.

Is it better to chain myself to a morgage for 100K that will very potentially drop into negative equity of 30K so that I can squeeze the fryer fat out of the bed linen every Sunday for the next 20 years, and proudly call myself a "homeowner"? and should I get a "life trainer" to train me to value myself that much? or

Should I continue to live in a 12x12 bedroom in a HMO, sharing the kitchen and bathroom with strangers but with no strings attached?

Its a clear dilemma benjamin. I seek your advice.

Yours in anguish,

Elizabeth

HOLA4419
Guest Winners and Losers

I did a calculation on Nationwide on how much me and Mr WAL could borrow. 250k!! Like, riiggghhhtt. As if we would borrow that much. It is more than 3.5 x our salaries. They might lend it to us, but how on earth would we pay it. I may be a cheapskate, but I AM NOT prepared to live hand to mouth.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I can definately buy a house now, but don't just on principal. I don't believe houses are worth the asking prices and hence will not buy.

Houses up here in the North are going for £180K - 3 bed detached houses in good areas. Brand new 4 bed detached houses going for £230k, 3 Bed Terraced houses are less than £120K.

It makes sense to invest the cash I have and get a decent return, if houses don't reduce over the next couple of years so what , I can still buy at those prices...... But if they crash then I will be in an even better position.

HOLA4422

I did a calculation on Nationwide on how much me and Mr WAL could borrow. 250k!! Like, riiggghhhtt. As if we would borrow that much. It is more than 3.5 x our salaries. They might lend it to us, but how on earth would we pay it. I may be a cheapskate, but I AM NOT prepared to live hand to mouth.

Ooh, so youre a Mrs. (Unless your civily partnered)

Would you like my business card ;) he he he. only if youre a mrs. :lol:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425