House Price Crash Forum

Good Reads

lincs

HOLA441

Hi, im a youngster (well 20) and am very interested in the property market and house investment/development. Could anyone recommend any good books to read which will help me better understand the market and give me some good ideas?

HOLA442
Guest Winners and Losers

Hi, im a youngster (well 20) and am very interested in the property market and house investment/development. Could anyone recommend any good books to read which will help me better understand the market and give me some good ideas?

Welcome to reality! :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation by Edward Chancellor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/045228180...9448604-0167011

Chancellor shows how true is the adage about those who do not understand history being doomed to repeat it. He takes us on a tour of financial madness throughout the centuries, from the Dutch tulip mania, to the infamous South Sea Bubble of 1720, to the 1980s Japanese real estate bubble, with many stops in between. What emerges is a consistent pattern: easy credit providing fuel for speculation, in combination with some new technology or management system, creating a "bubble", which inflates beyond all reason. But eventually, no greater fool with deep pockets exists, and the entire structure comes crashing down, leaving ruin behind.

The strange thing is, the participants in the madness often seem very aware that something is wrong, that it cannot last. But they ignore the evidence that ruin is on its way, right up until the end, when it is too late. They then learn their lesson. But the lessons don't seem to get passed down, for bubbles repeat themselves, generation after generation.

Just as today, where the news has been full of stories of the real-estate bubble for months, yet the trend continues, with people flipping properties, hoping they won't be the last one holding the bag.

You cannot understand economics and finance without understanding history, and I can think of no better place to start than Devil Take The Hindmost. It certainly beats the much more expensive education one could get when the next bubble bursts.