House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
How soon is now

Are You A Cheapskate?

Guardian link

Apparently I'm only a little tight.

"You are a bit tight with your cash, but you have become skilled at disguising it. In fact, like a lot of us, you might be a bit flash sometimes, and a little bit mean at other times, depending on the state of your bank balance that week"

Disappointed really :o Expected to come out worse.

Either you cheated, or you have the balance about right. You know that people appreciate someone who will buy a round, give to charity, support friends and be generous from time to time. But you feel secure and comfortable enough within yourself not to have to brag about your salary/ bank account/ trust fund or annual bonus. You probably have bursts of extravagance, but can be honest enough to tell friends when you are trying to rein in your spending a bit.

Perfect...I did hope I wouldn't be a cheapskate, I try to have a balance in life

You are a bit tight with your cash, but you have become skilled at disguising it. In fact, like a lot of us, you might be a bit flash sometimes, and a little bit mean at other times, depending on the state of your bank balance that week.

In fact, you know in your heart that opening up your wallet for a good cause or a friend's birthday would be a nice idea, and it makes you feel bad when you give into your hidden cheapskate tendencies.

It could be that you are struggling a bit with cashflow, in which case, better budgeting and more prioritising with your finances might help to make you feel a little less strapped for cash. Have a look at our credit and debt factsheets, which will give you ideas about areas where you can economise, so that you do have a bit left to spend on special occasions and people who are dear to you.

I thought the last bit was amusing. Do they think people who don't spend it all don't have any to spend?

Guest Winners and Losers

Me - cheapskate and proud! :)

If you still have some friends, it might be worth changing your ways now before they all abandon you. You are a cheapskate of the first order, and don't think that no one else has noticed.

Even though you try to hide it, people notice when you start carping on about having "run out of change" every time there is a taxi bill, round at the bar, or drinks kitty to be paid.

You might call it good old-fashioned thrift. There is certainly a lot to be said for being careful with your money and spending within your means. If you are being a cheapskate because you can't make ends meet any other way, have a look at our debt clinic to see if you could change your habits and have a little left over at the end of the month.

If you are loaded, and just being plain mean, then shame on you. Don't your friends and family deserve better?

No, they don't. I'm just plain mean. :P

If you still have some friends, it might be worth changing your ways now before they all abandon you. You are a cheapskate of the first order, and don't think that no one else has noticed.

Even though you try to hide it, people notice when you start carping on about having "run out of change" every time there is a taxi bill, round at the bar, or drinks kitty to be paid.

You might call it good old-fashioned thrift. There is certainly a lot to be said for being careful with your money and spending within your means. If you are being a cheapskate because you can't make ends meet any other way, have a look at our debt clinic to see if you could change your habits and have a little left over at the end of the month.

If you are loaded, and just being plain mean, then shame on you. Don't your friends and family deserve better?

lol i think i quite generous :lol::lol::lol:

:P:P:P

You are one Flash Harry. Either you are exceeding rich and generous (an unusual and attractive combination), or you are not particularly rich, but very generous. Either way, you are fun to be with and you would never skimp on providing the best for the people closest to you, as well as your circle of friends.

Ask yourself, though, are you trying to buy friendship? While you are throwing your money around, are you more interested in creating an impression than making sure your companions are having a good time? Splashing out on expensive presents can sometimes be used as a substitute for not spending enough time or emotional energy keeping up friendships and relationships.

You don't always have to show off your bank balance in order for people to respect you. Chill out a little, and just occasionally let your personality and not your credit card do all the talking. If your plastic gets a bit hot with all that spending, take a look at our fact sheet on finding the best deal on cards.

Hey....anyone wanna be my friend? I'll give you £50! :D

Guest Winners and Losers

You are one Flash Harry. Either you are exceeding rich and generous (an unusual and attractive combination), or you are not particularly rich, but very generous. Either way, you are fun to be with and you would never skimp on providing the best for the people closest to you, as well as your circle of friends.

Ask yourself, though, are you trying to buy friendship? While you are throwing your money around, are you more interested in creating an impression than making sure your companions are having a good time? Splashing out on expensive presents can sometimes be used as a substitute for not spending enough time or emotional energy keeping up friendships and relationships.

You don't always have to show off your bank balance in order for people to respect you. Chill out a little, and just occasionally let your personality and not your credit card do all the talking. If your plastic gets a bit hot with all that spending, take a look at our fact sheet on finding the best deal on cards.

Hey....anyone wanna be my friend? I'll give you £50! :D

I will! I have no friends. :( - Make it 75 and you've got a deal. :)

I love the 'unusual and attractive combination'! You flash harry you.

Edited by Winners and Losers

I'm with Winners and Losers and Down with the BBC.

Guest Winners and Losers

I'm with Winners and Losers and Down with the BBC.

Does that make us friends? ;)

Guest Winners and Losers

Yes but only if you buy the first round.

No chance. Another friend lost.......

Oh well.

Either you cheated, or you have the balance about right. You know that people appreciate someone who will buy a round, give to charity, support friends and be generous from time to time. But you feel secure and comfortable enough within yourself not to have to brag about your salary/ bank account/ trust fund or annual bonus. You probably have bursts of extravagance, but can be honest enough to tell friends when you are trying to rein in your spending a bit.

Perfect...I did hope I wouldn't be a cheapskate, I try to have a balance in life

Same as above, think it sums up my attitude to money exactly !!

These are loaded questions!!!

If there is a charity worker outside a supermarket do you - pay them, walk by, give loads etc.

I am sorry CALL ME MELDREW but If I get hastled for something stupid then I tell them straight.

EG: TRUE STORY

Am I a TW*T OR WAS I RIGHT? - I am thick skinned so be honest.

We had a butty van (sandwiches to all you suverners ;) ) that used to come round our workplace every morning. I went to this only on nights when I went drinking on a 'SCHOOLNIGHT'. Very naughty but a good BIN-LID (Full breakfast on massive barm cake) sorts you out. Anyways, I did not really know this woman but a lot of the guys used to flirt with her and think she was the 'terriers tezzies'.

The one day, a lad came up to our room and said we are doing a collection for 'PAM'. Not a sponsorship, A COLLECTION.

OK no problems, heres a quid, whats it for?

Her son is in a local football team and they have gotten through to the European stages of a competition, so they are going to Amsterdam. So we are having a collection so they can afford to send him over. He would be devastated if he could not go.

I stood back and asked "So your telling me that the local football team have entered a competition, qualified for a European stage, and they did not have the money to send them over?

Yes, he replied

So they have not got sponsorship for a company, like most Sunday leagues, and have not considered a CAR WASH or something to raise money. They just want donations?

Yes, he replied.

Well thats a load of ****** that is - thats not charity thats begging, I replied.

This was met with some anger.

Whats your problem then?, I asked.

Dont be tight, this lad is really looking forward to going.

Hard shit I said, The club should not have promised them and should have made contingency plans to raise the money through community work or something. If they cannot be bothered to EARN the money then ****** to them.

At this stage this was NOT ABOUT MONEY - It was about principle!

I argued that there were LOTS of kids that would love to go to DISNEY, ALTON TOWERS, THE BEACH, THE CINEMA etc. Why should this lad get a free hand-out when other needy kids DO WITHOUT.

At this stage we are close to blows. All's I got was "Your a tight b@stard, Pams kid is gonna be really disappointed. He then THREW the pound back at me.

I have given the money - BUT I DONT AGREE WITH THE CAUSE. I am not a tight B@stard - I am opinionated!!

So was I right? Should I have just given the money and said nothing?

The point I am making is - I believe in what I believe in. The question about people having starters and me not. Then splitting the bill? Well most times yeah I would just split it. But at times - PEOPLE TAKE THE PISS! If they do I pay for what me and my partner ate.

I have a good friend that when we went out in our early years we used to 'carry' one another. In other words, If he had no money - I would pay ALL night and vice-versa.

Its not about how generous you are - its how selfesh other people are, that matters most to me.

TB

Edited by teddyboy

Guest Bart of Darkness
Either you cheated, or you have the balance about right.

Well I didn't cheat. :)

I still think I'm a cheapskate though.

And I still say the housing market is going to crash

If there is a charity worker outside a supermarket do you - pay them, walk by, give loads etc.

I am sorry CALL ME MELDREW but If I get hastled for something stupid then I tell them straight.

The point I am making is - I believe in what I believe in. The question about people having starters and me not. Then splitting the bill? Well most times yeah I would just split it. But at times - PEOPLE TAKE THE PISS! If they do I pay for what me and my partner ate.

I have a good friend that when we went out in our early years we used to 'carry' one another. In other words, If he had no money - I would pay ALL night and vice-versa.

Its not about how generous you are - its how selfesh other people are, that matters most to me.

TB

Sounds fair to me.

One of my wifes friends is a real stinge.

Comes around and suggests we get a takeaway, then dosen't stump up any money for it... I won't let it happen more than a couple of times on principle.

Guest Winners and Losers

Sounds fair to me.

One of my wifes friends is a real stinge.

Comes around and suggests we get a takeaway, then dosen't stump up any money for it... I won't let it happen more than a couple of times on principle.

I agree. From my experience everyone is on the take. I actually work for a charity, but that does not mean that I would hand out cash to all and sundry. Give to a cause you believe in. For me, its HPC. I'm giving with my time. ;)

TB

I think you might have been right but that doesn't make you any less tight. Whats a pound these days? We of course we don't know the full story but from the information it seems neither did you or the bloke asking for the money. The team may well have been out fundraising, Pam seems to have been pro-active in asking for donations but that doesn't mean that was the be all and end of it.

Personally I'll give money to all and sundry, simply because if the ball was on the other foot I'd hope other people would do the same. The other day a guy approached me in a station saying that he had lost his wallet and need some money to get home, he had asked a few other people without success so I gave him £5. He was well dressed so not one of those "it's cold and I need £5 to get in a hostle types". The fact is he could have then run round the corner and bought drugs with the money but thats on his conscience and not mine. Equally I haven't given money when I have been asked because I didn't have any.

I believe in Karma, not in the spiritual sense but simply that if we all did nice things for each other then ultimatley we would get the benefit back in the long run.

I think you might have been right but that doesn't make you any less tight. Whats a pound these days? We of course we don't know the full story but from the information it seems neither did you or the bloke asking for the money. The team may well have been out fundraising, Pam seems to have been pro-active in asking for donations but that doesn't mean that was the be all and end of it.

Personally I'll give money to all and sundry, simply because if the ball was on the other foot I'd hope other people would do the same. The other day a guy approached me in a station saying that he had lost his wallet and need some money to get home, he had asked a few other people without success so I gave him £5. He was well dressed so not one of those "it's cold and I need £5 to get in a hostle types". The fact is he could have then run round the corner and bought drugs with the money but thats on his conscience and not mine. Equally I haven't given money when I have been asked because I didn't have any.

I believe in Karma, not in the spiritual sense but simply that if we all did nice things for each other then ultimatley we would get the benefit back in the long run.

Back when i was at uni a guy approached me in the station saying he didn't have the money to get home for some reason. I was very very skint (no handouts off parents etc). Gave him a quid.

Few days later he was there again same story to a woman. He turned to see me next and stopped in his tracks. Told him to sod off.

Moral is most people who ask you for money (including charity collectors who don't contribute themselves (hell some even get paid) are generally parasitic scum.

I studied in Manchester and used to see all the big issue sellers "trying to sell the last copy". When some dunce bought it (more likely to happen with last copy) they would say "can't I keep or i won’t have any to sell and will have to go. Needless to say they always had a stash nearby.

It's like that advert. If you don't look after you money no one else will!